Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Sicily: Villa del Casale & Caltagirone: visit enroute w/ luggage?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi
I'm very paranoid about leaving luggage in the trunk, but it would be easier for us to visit these places enroute from near Agrigento to Modica. Do you think it's safe?

Our other alternative is to visit them as a day trip while staying in either Modica or Siracusa, but that's about a 2 hr drive each way.

Which do you recommend?
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't know about Caltagirone where I only spent time because we got extremely lost--as usual, happened every single time we went somewhere--but there was a man watching the lot at Villa Casale the other week. You pay him a Euro or two to park. Not saying he's officially connected (at least not to the Villa!), but I think it'd be okay to leave luggage in the trunk there. I suppose it's still a bit of a risk, but it didn't feel like one.

Of course don't show that you have luggage in the trunk, don't open the trunk at all. Just get your stuff from within the car and go.
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

leely2, thanks for the advice. Did you think it was worth it driving there? I've been reading posts that people wish they hadn't bothered because it's still under renovations.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It was worth the driving for me because Villa Romana del Casale was something I really, <i>really</i> wanted to see. But a lot is closed for restoration, it's true. And it was a long-ish day. You could decide while you're there. We drove up from Modica.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 07:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Villa Romana is always under some kind of renovations. But if you're at all interested in mosaics or just Roman history, what was available is by miles the best and largest collection I've ever seen. Or even heard of. So yes, well worth the trip, as the Michelin Green Guide says.

As for your luggage, just make sure nothing shows. And there's a pleasant restaurant, La Ruota, just down the road from the entrance to the villa. We had a memorable lunch there.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 09:52 AM

Villa Casale is not in the middle of a town and has its own parking. I suspect that luggage in the trunk is safer than in town parking. Caltagirone might be more problematic in that regard. If worried, you might want to stay at the Agriturismo Gigliotti which is conveniently located for both sites.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again Leely2, Mimar and Michael. Michael, I did look up Gigliotti but it got such mixed reviews I'm hesitant to stay there. Think we'll drive over from our Modica site.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 07:19 PM

I think that Gigliotti is definitely worthwhile. I can't imagine why it would receive mixed reviews.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 07:21 PM

On second thought, the room we had was probably less than what most would want, but we were switched from better rooms because the room in the old building had no steps. See my trip report for the reason.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 06:12 AM

We stayed at the Gigliotto also. I thought it very nice, more of a country hotel than an agriturismo. Our large, well-furnished room had a biggish terrace with a view of the countryside, and breakfast was out on a large terrace with another view of the countryside. For us the Gigliotto was a little inconveniently located but that was expected for an agriturismo.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 07:46 AM

If you are concerned about the contents of your trunk, you could use a cable lock to attach all the bags to each other, as an additional inconvenience to a grab-and-go thief. Not thief-proof, of course, but it might cause one who pops open the trunk, and sees a cable weaving through all the handles, to move on to easier pickings.

I loved both Caltagirone and Villa Romana, and had no qualms about parking in either place.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 08:03 AM

kayd, never thought of the cable lock....great idea. I'm not sure what type of car we are renting when we go in the fall. We will be four adults with our luggage. I'm not sure a sedan with a closed trunk will hold our luggage. We're considering VW Passatt or Ford Mondero. Not sure what we do with luggage with this type of car. It seems like such a nuisanse to worry about your luggage all the time. I agree with barefootbeach that sometimes it is easier to stop to visit some sights while on the way to your next destination however it sure takes the fun out of it when you are stressing about your luggage.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone. That cable idea is a good one. Michael, I re-read your

trip report and remembered the broken ankle trauma....hope we can keep ours in one piece.

Realtor Rose, I just read one post that said the Ford Mondeo was too big to navigate parking garages!