Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel in Taormina, Sicily: Villa Ducale, Villa Belvedere, or Villa Schuler?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2006, 04:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to Sicily in early fall, and would love advice on choosing from among these three. All have been recommended on these boards and tripadvisor, but I still haven't figured out where I'll get the best room, with nicest view and terrace.
At Belvedere and Schuler, I've been offered top-floor rooms. At Villa Ducale, all I can splurge for is a classic double. The hotel assures me that all their rooms have terraces and views of the sea and Mt. Etna, but I've read otherwise. I also can't determine whether their terraces vary in size, nor whether their definition of "terrace" includes small balconies where one can only stand.
I'd appreciate guidance from anyone who's seen these places and those rooms.
Thanks!
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:01 AM

I have stayed at both the Belvedere and Shuler and prefer the latter. The Ducale is too far out of town for my taste. I love the breakfast setting at the Shuler and the location is perfect.
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
One of my students brought me back a picture of Villa Schuler. Unfortunately, she didn't say how it was.
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:15 AM
Original Poster

Bob, which rooms have you stayed in/seen in each of these?
I know you like Villa Schuler for its location...but given that we don't mind walking (in fact rely on it for working off the pasta), ane our love of sitting outside our room with a book or drink and enjoying the view, which do you think is better?
Do you also prefer Schuler for its overall attitude and esthetic? That's also a factor.
Thanks, Bob!
Old May 11th, 2006, 06:49 AM

We stayed at the Belvedere for five nights in September and liked it very much. The views from the hotel are breath-taking. The breakfast room was understated, but lovely. The service was wonderful and I still long for the delicious lunches they served by the pool. I agree with Bob that the Villa Ducale is too far out of town. I definitely would stay at the Belvedere again, but would try to book early enough to get one of the rooms with a terrace, overlooking the sea.
Old May 11th, 2006, 03:45 PM

We stayed in the corner room that has a small balcony and views of both Etna and the sea. Our room at Belvedere was not as nice, but that was 1999.
Old May 26th, 2006, 09:15 PM

We stayed at the Villa Schuler in November.
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34712930
Great place. Goo dbeds. Great view. Wonderful location. Good size rooms. Brekfast in bed if you want it. Everything others have said is correct. We had a jr. suite, 20% off, and the terrave was parge (10x 10).
Old May 27th, 2006, 04:59 AM

I stayed at Villa Belvedere last May. I think that the beauty of this place is in the grounds; breakfast room is also beautiful, as someone mentioned. Our room had a small terrace with view of the sea and Etna but it is set back a bit into the hill so you also see lots of other buildings nearby when you look out the window. The room itself is comfortable but the furnishings were not really all that lovely..I remember wicker-ish pieces and floral fabric..reminiscent of Florida. Overall we had a very good experience here but it was my second choice; Schuler required a minimum stay which eliminated it for us. Villa Ducale was more expensive, as I recall. Having a car is a major pain in Taormina. Make sure you get good directions to your hotel is you are driving.
Old May 27th, 2006, 06:44 AM

We stayed at Villa Schuler in May 2004 and loved it. We had the jr. suite on the top floor, which had a large terrace with fantastic views and great breakfasts. The only negative was that there is a rooftop seating area and a few nights we could hear footsteps and laughter late in the evening. A peek into some of the other rooms led me to consider giving up the large terrace (these come with lounge chairs and small table) for a smaller balcony( these were just upright chairs) in a corner room (these rooms also looked larger.) The proximity to shopping restaurants and the gorgeous gardens is a definite plus.