Search

naples/capri

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
naples/capri

I have one day in Naples/Capri. Cruising with Celebrity cruises. I want to go to the Blue Grotto. Is this possible with maybe about 7 hrs to spend?
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:24 PM

It certainly is possible, but it also depends on the weather, water conditions, time of year, tides, etc. You may have a wait in lines also. Have you been to that area before? I know, not my business, but IMHO, the blue grotto is not really worth the time or money when there are so many other great things to see in the area. OTOH, if you have your heart set on that, then go for it. It can be done.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 05:43 PM

The ferries to Capri leave adjacent to where your ship is docked. Celebrity will also provide a briefing with regards day trips etc. I guess if you have not been to the BG it is something you have to do, but Capri is a wonderful island to explore so don't be disappointed if you miss the BG.
Old Apr 9th, 2011, 06:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. What places/sites do you recommend? Cruising in July
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 05:57 AM

My initial reason for heading to Capri was because I had seen a show on the Blue Grotto and wanted to go inside. I planned two nights on Capri and although it was in late June, the waters were still too rough and high to go inside. I was definitely disappointed but like DownUnder says, there are so many other things to do on Capri. One of the highlights of our 3 week trip for the kids was when we went on the chair lifts to the top on Monte Solaro on Capri.

So to answer your question, 7 hours should be enough but if you can't get inside, then just do some of the other things to do.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

I am cruising to Italy/Greek Isle in July. I have only one day at each port of call about 7 hours . I want to see these following places at each port of call
1. Sicily- Mt Aetna & Taormina
2. Athens- Acropolis -Parthenon, Temple of Zeus, Dephi
3.Kusadasi- Ephesus,Temple of Mary
4.Rhodes- Old town & Acropolis
5.Mykonos- Ancient Delos and Temple of Apollo
6. Santorini-Oia, Fira
7.Naples/Capri- Amalfi coast, Positano, Sorrento, Pompei.
The Cruise line charges high to get to these places. I was hoping I can do it for less. Please help.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 05:42 PM

lagingpasyal, if you only have 7 hours on the Amalfi Coast you will have to decide what you "most" want to see! You will not have time to see all of the Amalfi coast in the 7 hours.

On the top of my list would be Pompeii, followed by taking a bus or ferry to Amalfi and Positano. Capri would most likely be last because it would end up being your only stop as you would still have to ferry back and forth from the port.
Old Apr 11th, 2011, 06:01 PM

Check out this link: http://www.europeportreviews.com/Naples.htm If you scroll through it carefully, you'll see links to other pages explaining how to travel to Pompeii, Sorrento and Capri on your own. You really do not need to pay the cruise line extra money unless that's your preference. Various cruise boards (e.g., cruise critic) are also great places to look for information from others who have had similar time constraints. Good luck!
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 11:49 AM

Have you gone onto cruisecritic.com and joined the roll call for your ship? If not, do that and you will find lots of information. You will also find groups who are doing their own excursions which you can join. You can ask and get help with planning your own excursions.

In Athens, we joined up with another couple and took a taxi to the side of the Parthenon opposite the city center. We did the tour on our own, walked down to the city center and took a taxi back to the ship.

In Santorini, we took the funicular up, joined another couple and hired a local taxi driver who took us all over the island, giving us his own kind of personal tour, even to a beach for a little while. It was great. We actually just found another couple walking around and together, stopped a taxi and asked him about doing it and the cost. I think it was about $100.00 total for about three hours for the four of us.

In Kusadasi, we got four couples together, went a little ways from the terminal to a taxi stand and hired a driver with a van to take us everywhere we wanted to go for the whole day - total of about $140 for all of us. You will need one person to kind of negotiate the deal for the group.

In Naples, it is very easy take the train to Pompeii or Herculaneum and tour those yourself, or take a boat down the coast to Positano or Amalfi - cheap and all on your own. I would do those rather than Capri, just my personal pref.