Sicily, Sardinia, or both??

Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily, Sardinia, or both??

I am planning a 40th bday trip with a best friend to Italy. Have been everywhere in Italy except Sicily & Sardinia. Going at end of Aug for 10 days including travel time from US...Thoughts on Taormina, Sircusa, Cefalu and then fly to Sardinia?? Like small boutique hotels and a definite "foodie"
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:45 AM

That's too little time to do one place justice, let alone two.
Choose one or the other, but not both. I haven't been to Sardinia yet, but I can highly recommend Sicily.

Are you planning mostly a beach vacation, or do you want to do sightseeing?

Bear in mind that August is vacation time for Italy and much of the country heads south. Resort towns will be crowded, so book early. Cefalu, Taormina and Siracusa are all beautiful. You could divide your time among all 3, or possibly Cefalu in the west and either Taormina and Siracusa in the east.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:46 AM

>>and either Taormina and Siracusa in the east.>>

Oops. Either Taormina OR Siracusa in the east.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks panecott! We would love a mix of beach & sightseeing. If we do all three (Taormina, Cefalu, & Siracusa) do we need a car or could we take the train?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 05:55 AM

I agree. Not enough time, so choose one island or the other. What is projected price range for hotels? Have you considered Aeolian Islands? If you go to Sardinia, do you want to stay on a beach, or would you consider agriturismos in the countryside?

Will you rent a car?
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't been to Sardinia, but you can easily fill more than 10 days in Sicily - I spent three weeks. There are several Sicily TRs here. In addition to Ortigia (Siracusa) I would highly recommend Erice, and Trapani, and don't skip Palermo, Agrigento and Villa Casale.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 08:38 AM

Yes, you can easily take the train to and from any of those towns. I have spent a lot of time in Sicily, in 4 visits there, and have always traveled by train, and occasionally, by bus.
The train stop for Taormina is "Giardini-Naxos" and there are frequent buses outside the train station that go up to Taormina. The bus ride up along the Via Luigi Pirandello is breathtaking. If you take a taxi up, it will likely go up a back road which is not nearly as scenic.
If you take the train traveling east, sit on the left side b/c the coastal views are beautiful. The view as you approach Cefalu, with the Cathedral dominating the town, is very impressive. At night, with the cathedral illuminated, it's spectacular.
Cefalu has a sandy beach right in town. The beaches for Taormina are "Mazzaro", which you can reach by cable car, or bus, and Naxos. Mazzaro is a rocky beach.
You can visit Palermo and Agrigento easily from Cefalu by train. From Taormina, you can take an excursion to Mt. Etna, and/or and the Aeolian islands.
Old Mar 10th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

thank you for all the info! ekscrunchy, forgot about aeolian islands. I suppose I can add that into sicily ??? didn't know if it was too secluded for 2 single women (don't like bar scene, just sightseeing & great food). hotel price $350max, prefer below that, but consider it part of the experience so like something to remember. If we do Sardinia, probably closer to beach. Don't have to be in the middle of action, but like the option of being close enough(ie. loved staying in Camolgi for CT trip). Didn't know if I needed to rent a car, or is it like Tuscany & it's the best way to see everything??
Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:18 AM

Hi,

for my opinion the island of Sardinia is the best island on the Mediterranean.
If you need advice or accommodation you can view this website:
http://www.sardiniaholidayrentals.com/
or if you decide to visit Algheto a unique catalan Town in Sardinia go to http://www.algherohotel.com/
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 02:44 PM
JES

I'm trying to decide the same thing, but for a long weekend since I will be in Rome for business. I will be going the beginning of May and would love to know if I should go to Sardinia or Sicily. No one really answered your question on that since the consensus was NOT both.
Btw, if you are foody & into cool hotels you should check out La Cucina Italiana Magazine's current issue (May I think). It is a travel special and gives cool hotel & restaurant recommendations all over Italy. I also heard the next issue is featuring Sardinia - too bad I'll miss it before my trip!
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM
JES

Ekscrunchy, I'm interested in Agroturismo and/or beach hotel - I'm not sure yet but would love some recommendations if you have any. Nothing too expensive...no more than 200-250 Euros a night (and preferably less)
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:12 PM
JES

Sorry...one more time - here's a link to the issue if you're interested: http://lacucinaitalianamagazine.com/
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM

The Ny Times just did a story on Sardinia and mentioned this hotel; the nearby beach looks gorgeous and the price is right:

http://www.albergosantamaria.it/

But did you decide which island you are going to visit?
Old Apr 10th, 2009, 03:37 PM
JES

Perfetto! Grazie
Old Apr 11th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy,

I decided on Sicily...Aeolian Islands, Taormina and Siracusa. Can't wait! We are not going to rent a car, just take the train. JES thanks for the article...Are you going to Sardinia?
Old Apr 13th, 2009, 09:50 AM
JES

Lisaannmack,
I'm jealous you made a decision! I'm still deciding, though leaning a bit more toward Sicily at the moment. It just looks so incredible.
Btw, I did the same thing for my 40th last year but went to Umbria & Amalfi...a great way to celebrate! Have an amazing trip!
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 06:16 PM

Lisaannmack,

I will be doing the same trip at the end of May. Did you settle on what island to stay, Salina or Lipari? I tend to like quiet so I'm looking for places in Salina. I'm traveling with husband & 2 kids. Either Hotel Signum or Ravesi. Any thoughts?
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:10 AM

Hi there,

I have lived in both Sardinia and Sicily and love them both. If you're looking for food, I'm afraid Sicily wins by miles. For beaches, pick Sardinia every time.

For accomodation, try http://www.thinksicily.com for Sicily or http://www.thesardiniavillacollection.com for Sardinia villas or http://www.sardiniaholidayconcierge.com for hotels
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM

Here are some reasons to pick Sicily:
http://www.slowphotos.com/photo/show...y.php?cat=3828
Old Jun 7th, 2009, 09:54 AM

bob- your pictures are gorgeous!
thanks for sharing!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information