Sicily - how much time is appropriate?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2008, 04:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Planning to spend 5 days in Sicily; to see Palermo, Taormina, Syracuse, Agrigento, also small village(Sinagra) of family roots. 5 days too much? About right? Is Sicily a "driveable" place in general for an American tourist?? Is driving feasible for moving city to city?
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:48 PM

We spent 15 days in Sicily and still did not see it all. With only 5 I would stay east or west but not both. You can find my trip report by searching under " Navigating in Sicily".
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 05:49 PM

I think you'll need more than 5 days..Palermo and Taormina are on opposite coasts. And you'll want to spend more than a day in Palermo. Driving is very easy.
(Tho we drove thru Palermo without problems..we knew where we were going and we're from New York City. - It's probably best to pick up a car at the Palermo airport and stay on the outskirts.. take public transportation into town.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My upcoming trip includes 23 days on Sicily, and I could use more! You're proposing five places in five days including transit time - sounds way too rushed. I'd drop at least one, probably Taormina, but that still sounds like too much.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 06:23 PM

We spent 11 days and that was fine although I could have spent longer and been perfectly happy. It will really be pushing it to see your list in five days. Anyway you can get more time? If not, I'd probably drop Palermo at least. Where are you flying into? I really enjoyed Palermo, it's just I enjoyed Taormina and syracusa more.

Driving is very easy, but distances take longer than you might think, especially if you get behind some one slow as many of the "highways" are only two lanes. We rented a car as we were leaving Palermo and had no problems driving out of the city center, dispite not being famiiar with the city, Although I also learned to drive in New York. I had heard that it was as bad or wrose than Rome to drive in and I definitly do NOT feel that is true. I've only walked in Rome and was really glad I decided not to drive there, Palermo was a piece of cake compared to Rome.
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 08:54 PM

Oh, NO: 5 days not enough.

Vincenzo
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 09:11 PM

I will echo what all others have said - it is not enough time. We spent a week in Sicily several years ago, staying in Giardini Naxos (just down the hill from Taormina).

We drove to all of those you mention other than Palermo but still spent WAY too much time in the car. It is a very driveable place but the distances are considerable. And I say that as an Australian used to driving.

But then I can think of few places in Europe where I would consider 5 days too much!
Old Jan 21st, 2008, 10:33 PM

We spent 12 days going to those places plus Cefalu. I couldnt even think of doing all that in 5 days. Maybe pick a couple of places and really see them properly. Sicily is absolutely beautiful and deserves more than 5 days rushing around.It is one place we will go back to. Driving is the best way to explore Sicily.
Old Jan 26th, 2008, 03:38 AM
cmt

Five days is definitely not "too much." It's too little!

"Your" town of Sinagra is not far from "my" town of San Salvatore di Fitalia. The Nebrodi Mountains area is beautiful and not touristy. Will you stay overnight in Sinagra? (I highly recommend doing more than just a day trip to the town of your roots.) If there is no hotel or agriturismo in Sinagra itslf, you might be able to find a hotel in Tortorici, which is one of the larger towns in that area (assuming I'm correct about the area). You probably already know this, but I'll mention anyway that you should be prepared to speak Italian all the time when visiting Sinagra.
Old Jan 28th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks for all of the wonderful and informative responses.
CMT - can I email to you for more in depth discussions regarding Sinagra and your recommendations??
Old Jan 30th, 2008, 05:24 PM

No way you can see all those cities in 5 days. Traveling around Sicily takes longer than most people realize. Plan on at least 2 hours between Taormina and Siracusa, 3 hours between Agrigento and Siracusa, etc. I personally would not drive, parking is a pain and the public transportation between cities is excellent. The bus in particular is a great (and inexpensive) way to move around Sicily. Cut out at least half of those cities. Palermo and Agrigento if you are flying into Palermo OR Taormina and Siracusa if you are flying into Catania.
Old Apr 8th, 2008, 05:20 AM

have a look at my trip report: http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35087997
did you use the search fonction on fodor's for Sicily? in the recent few weeks, quite a number of posts on sicily have emerged...