7 days in Sicily

May 15th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Original Poster

7 days in Sicily

Having never been to Sicily, we will be a small group of 4 coming from Rome and a week to spend in Sicily at the beginning of October. Any suggestions for a possible itinerary? would love any and all suggestions for places to stay, eat, and places to see.

thanks

Al
May 15th, 2018, 12:02 PM

I've done a couple of trips to Sicily, maybe a month in total, and the following is pretty much the "Fodor Opinion" on the topic.
Sicily is far too big, with far too much to see , to attempt it in a week. So pick East (Siracusa, Noto/Ragusa/Modica, Taormina) or West (Palermo, Erice, Agrigento, Cefalú)
Decide what it is that interests you - and concentrate on that. For me, the highlights were:
The Roman Mosaics near Piazza Armerina
The Greek ruins of Agrigento and Selinunte
The Cathedral at Monreale
Taormina - the views are on every tourist image of Sicily, but it doesn't make them any less spectacular.

Will you have a car? Sicilian driving can be "Challenging" - particularly in the big cities - but driving around in the interior is very rewarding - particularly in the wild areas of e.g the Parco delle Madonie (near Cefalú)
May 15th, 2018, 04:39 PM

I agree with willit, but I did an eight day, nine night itinerary that covered some of west and east. I had five days in Rome afterward in which to recover from my breakneck Sicily pace. I L O V E D Sicily.

We landed in Palermo, spent a couple days there which included a half day at Monreale, picked up a car back at the airport and drove down to Agrigento, stopping at Segesta on the way. Overnighted outside Agrigento and then drove to Modica, where we spent three nights. The time in Moidica was the vacation from the vacation, except a day trip from Piazza Armerina via Caltagirone. Then on to Siracusa, staying on Ortigia for three nights. We dropped the car off when arriving in Ortigia and hired a private driver to take us to Catania where we hopped a flight to Rome.

I would have liked an extra night in each location except possibly Ortigia. But unlike Smokey Robinson, I think a taste of honey is better than none at all.

Last edited by Leely2; May 15th, 2018 at 05:01 PM.
May 15th, 2018, 04:49 PM

Here's my 9 day trip in Sicily, with a long section that hopefully will be of no use to you. Skip it and then you will see which sites we visited and there is an attached photo album which might be even more useful: Trip Report: Sicily, April 2010
May 15th, 2018, 05:33 PM

We were in Sicily for 10 nights in April 2018. Here's what we did:

Landed in Palermo and spent 3 nights with a half day to Monreale. We loved Palermo.
Two nights in Erice, with a day to visit Segesta. Loved Segesta.
Two nights at an agriturismo between Agrigento and Piazza Armerina. Loved both the Valley of the Temples and the Roman villa at Piazza Armerina.
Three nights in Ortigia with a half day at the archaeological park at Siracusa and and afternoon and early evening in Noto.
We also had a driver to take us to the airport in Catania from Ortigia.

We both loved Sicily and are already talking about going back.

So many posters here talked about needing more time to enjoy Sicily, and we did do some fast moving and longish drives, but we had a wonderful trip.