Sicily decisions!

Search

Sicily decisions!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sicily decisions!

Hi, if you only have a few days to spend in Sicily, where would that be? We would like to include it into our next trip to Italy, probably Sept 2010. We are late 50ish couple, well traveled, like to base ourselves in a good location where we can walk to restaurants, etc. Is there a place in Sicily where we don't have to drive? Priorities for lodging are --air conditioning, private bathroom and a great terrace, balcony with awesome views to sit and sip limoncello and reminice the days activities. Any reccomendations?
And where to fly in and out of ?---Thanks, K.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:10 PM

Taormina would be a good place if you only have a few days. It's very touristy, but that's because it has restaurants to walk to, and awesome views. Fly in and out of Catania.
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 04:51 PM

We were in Sicily last years and toured most of the island. We both really enjoyed Palermo. It's a gritty city but so interesting - not touristy like Taormina. We stayed at Principe Di Villa Franca. http://www.principedivillafranca.it/
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
As above, Taormina suits your view criteria. If you stay in the town, walking to restaurants is solved too. But the best views are further up the road towards Castelmola. We had a stunning view from our balcony at the Villa Ducale. Walking is possible but I wouldn't. A free shuttle solves transport to town. A lot of people also like the Villa Schuler in town. Taormina is well touristed - which is its downside.

Ian
Old Jul 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would prefer Ortigia (Siracusa) to Taormina. It manages to host plenty of places to stay and eat, without feeling completely touristy. If you pick the right place to stay you can have a view as well. Of course, the best views on the island, to my mind, are in Erice, but you'd need to stay in Palermo for that. For my TR on Sicily including Ortigia see http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-sicily.cfm?62
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

THANKS Everyone, can't wait to look at all the links!
When you say Toarmina is too touristy---more so than Positano?-K.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 03:28 AM

If views are very important, then Taormina. I expected to hate Taormina as I had heard it was touristy - It is, but I didn't.

I have not been to Erice, but the views would have to be absolutely stunning if thay are on a par with, or better than, Taormina. The view across the ancient theatre over towards Etna is on virtually ever brochure about Sicily, but it doesn't make it any less spectacular.

Ortygia/Syracusa has many restaurants, many excellent sights (Roman and greek ruins, a very good museum, good Cathedral) and very good bus links to Modica, Noto etc.

I am also very fond of Cefalú. Excellent restaurants, good cathedral, ssuperb viewsif you can climb the huge trocky outcrop over the city. You would need to fly into Palermo, and change trains in the city itself. It does mean you are relatively close to Palermo and its sights as well as in reach of Agrigento by train.
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 04:40 AM
Ian

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Taormina - as busy as Positano? Probably. It has one main drag & that is the tourist 'walk' with shops & restaurants. The road to the Greco theater - the main attraction - spikes off of that & it too is lined with shops & bussed in tour groups making the walk. If you stay removed from those two, the crowds die off.

I agree that we also preferred Ortygia for its atmosphere. It has the best jumble of medieval streets that we have seen but it is not a ‘pinch me’ view destination.

Here’s my report with pictures/descriptions of both: http://members.rennlist.com/imcarthur/sicily.htm

Ian
Old Jul 29th, 2009, 05:34 AM

For my unedited pix of Erice see http://kwilhelm.smugmug.com/Travel/519560 - password erice. (Similar passwords on other galleries.)
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 04:21 PM
Original Poster

I think we'll like Taormina, probably fly into Catania. Another question---Is there a ferry or any other way to get to (or near) Positano from there, besides the flight which looks like we can get Catania--Naples (via Rome). That seems like an awful lot of travel to me.--K.
Old Aug 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM

Airone flies direct Catania-Naples. For ferries look at TTT lines, SNAV, Grimaldi, Caronte.