Shrewsbury info requested

Old Mar 24th, 2003, 11:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shrewsbury info requested

I'm considering different options for my May/June trip to England. I'm set on 3 nights in London, and 5 days later I'll be based in Lancaster with a car (planning to see Chester, the Dales and the Lakes district). 4 days in between without a car, and I was thinking of 2 in Lincoln and 2 in York until I heard about Shrewsbury.

I enjoy small towns with lots of history, a nice castle or old churches, traditional pubs, shops that are geared as much to locals as tourists, and old buildings. I've been to York and loved parts of it (the Minster, walking the walls, old streets, etc) but the crowds put a damper on things.

Is Shrewsbury worth staying in for 2 nights, considering I won't have a car? Any recommended B&B's? Any info (or suggestions) welcome. Thank you.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:03 PM

Hi

Shrewsbury is interesting.
But here is info about Lancaster .......... plough through the links here and you'll find out much about the area : http://mgs1970.netfirms.com

I'd say Kendal is worth a visit

Peter
http://tlp.netfirms.com
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:15 PM

Hi Alan,
I have studied various itinaries on this Forum and yours is so refreshing. I live in Wales and I would do your itinary myself.
Have a look at this website hope it helps
http://www.go2.co.uk/shrewsburytourism/
Have fun

Muck
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 12:53 PM

Hi Alan,
Shrewsbury is one of my favourite towns in England. The town centre is full of lovely black and white medieval buildings and the castle, right next to the railway station, has an interesting museum of the Shropshire regiments. I am a great fan of the Brother Cadfael Medieval murder mysteries and the remains of his abbey of Sts Peter and Paul (all that's left is the church) are very evocative. Shrewsbury Quest across the road from the abbey is fun. We stayed at the Abbey Court Guest House in the Abbey Foregate. Very comfortable and although a little far from the town centre, a bus goes past the door. We did not have a car. I recommend the bus for climbing the hill into the town but I am not very fit.
Have fun
Rosemary
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 01:58 PM
KT

I liked Shrewsbury quite a bit and think you'd be fine there for two nights. It's not a really small town: it has a population of almost 100,000, and it's the county town of Shropshire, as well as the center of Cadfael tourism, so it has some activity, while still being infinitely less crowded than York. If you like local museums, the one in Rowley's House is worth a visit. There's good walking in Shropshire, though I don't know about the bus service to get you there. And, if you really feel like you need a day trip, Shrewsbury has okay (but not great) train connections to places like Ludlow and Craven Arms (for Stokesay Castle).
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the links and feedback. The Abbey Court was one place I was considering so I'm glad to hear from a past guest.

Muck, thanks for your encouragement on my itinerary. In the future I hope to do a Wales trip to places like Conway, Carnarfon, & Angelsey.
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 03:46 PM

Yes, I also enjoyed Shrewsbury, with its tribute to Brother Cadfael, it was a wonderful little quest! I will second the notion that Shrewsbury is not a small town...
Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:45 AM
Sylvia

If you are there in mid-August, you should visit the Shrewsbury Flower Show
website at http://www.shrewsburyflowershow.org.uk/

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 03:46 AM
Sylvia

Whoops, sorry. I see that you are actually going May/June.

Old Mar 25th, 2003, 12:28 PM

Hi Alan,
Enjoy Shrewsbury and when you can get to Wales try to get to South West and South to Cardiff its a fabulous City.

Have fun

Muck
Old May 28th, 2003, 09:50 PM
Original Poster

Almost time for my trip & wanted to thank everyone who gave me input. I'll be in London for 3 nights, then 2 in Lincoln, 2 in Shrewsbury & finishing w/ 6 nights in Lancaster as a base for the Lakes & Dales. I'm off on Friday & starting w/ a candlelight concert at St Martin-in-the-Fields w/ girlfriend (a Brit living in the U.S.). I can't sleep in anticipation!
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

I found this old thread of mine and realized I didn't post a follow-up after the trip. We loved Shrewsbury. Beautiful buildings, good food, and wonderful strolls along the riverside.

We stayed at the Tudor House, a 16th century Tudor building with lots of character. We enjoyed pints and very good food at the Armory. It was loud, but full of energy and stands out in my memory. The location on the river is nice, and after dinner we walked along the Victoria Quay.

Shrewsbury's now a must-visit for our next trip back.
Old Oct 17th, 2005, 09:01 AM

I'm so glad you enjoyed Shrewsbury!

I've only been posting on this board a few months, but I know Shropshire quite well, and advocate the county as a jewel in England's crown whenever I can. Next time you visit do venture south out of Shrewsbury to Ludlow, and west to the Welsh Marches with its staggering views and ruined border castles. Walk on the hills of Long Mynd, Stiperstones and Caer Caradoc. If you are lucky you will see Red Kite (still rare) and the more common buzzards.

Shropshire is a truly beautiful part of England and well worth seeing more of. Do come back!