time to get to tinturn abbey from cardiff

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2005, 03:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone been to tinturn abbey from cardiff, without using a car? Is this possible on a bus or train? If so, could you please advise how to do it and approximately the travel time.

Thank you.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 04:15 AM

The railway to Tintern closed in 1959, but there are buses from Chepstow. You can get a train from Cardiff to Chepstow, then a bus. Timetables can be found on www.transportdirect.info and www.traveline-cymru.org.uk. The fastest journey takes 1 hour 20 mins. Chepstow is an interesting old town with a castle overlooking the River Wye, so would be worth visiting as well.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 05:29 AM

Chepstow Castle is as good a bargain as Tintern Abbey. Little is left of the Abbey. Afterall, Cromwell's boys gave it a good going over during the Interregunum.

Chepstow Castle is one of the more interesting of the ones I would classify as a ruin. It has a lot left standing and plenty of ramparts to walk.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:25 AM

I need to amend my statement above. It was Henry VIII who took the valuables.
Here is a summary from the official site.

After 400 prosperous years at Tintern, the Cistercians left the Abbey at its dissolution in 1536 at which time all articles of value were catalogued, weighed, and sent to King Henry VIII's treasury.

I also need to state that what is left of the abbey is magnificent and well worth the effort to get there. There are some beautiful photographs on various web site that can be found easily with A Google search or even Yahoo.

The Chepstow castle is also a marvellous place to visit.

Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the thoughts so far. I don't suppose anyone happens to know how far the Chepstow bus station is from the Chepstow train station? It seems like it will be frustrating dealing with layovers and poor train and bus schedules, but if I can make it all fit I would like to go.
Old May 2nd, 2005, 08:51 AM
ron

The traveline website that Geoff gave you says that it is 745 metre between the train & bus stations. It is only about 5 miles from Chepstow to Tintern; a taxi might be a worthwhile option if rail bus connexions are awkward. And the walk back along the Wye river would be delightful.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the thoughts so far. I don't suppose anyone happens to know how far the Chepstow bus station is from the Chepstow train station? It seems like it will be frustrating dealing with layovers and poor train and bus schedules, but if I can make it all fit I would like to go.
---

My husband and I took a bus from London to Cardiff. It made stops in Chepstow and Newport. When we stopped in Chepstow, the trains came right by the bus. It looked like the train station was an easy walk from the bus station.

We were able to find a really good fare on the National Express bus from London. Sometimes they even do 1GBP fares. Their website is http://www.nationalexpress.com/

Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks. I am very familiar with National Express, but I'm going to Cardiff straight from Oxford, so a coach from London will not work.
Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:32 AM
Pausanias

Anyone planning to visit Chepstow Castle might want to read "Life in a Medieval Castle" by Joseph and Frances Gies, which is centered on Chepstow.

Old May 3rd, 2005, 10:32 AM

Hi Joe - just wondering about your surname - mine is Trow (something to do with boats on the River Severn, which joins the Wye at Chepstow) and whether the Tro in your name has anything to do with this.....?? Or is it just 'cause it rhymes with Joe...?
Old May 3rd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

It's actually Trombello, but friends in high school called me Joe Tro, and it's easier as a log in name. Thanks for the interest.