Search

Eisriesenwelt and Castle Hohenwerfen

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2005, 05:12 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eisriesenwelt and Castle Hohenwerfen

Hi,

We will be visiting Salzburg this September and are planning on visiting the Eisriesenwelt Ice Caves and Castle Hohenwerfen.

However, we do *not* have a car, and will be limited to taking the train from Salzburg to Werfen. Can someone help me with how I can combine both the Ice Caves and the Castle in one day trip, without a car ?

I found some information on how to get to the Ice Caves from the Werfen train station, but I am a little confused as to how I can get to the Castle.

Ideally, I'd like to take the train to Werfen from Salzburg, visit the Castle first (see the falcon show), and then go to the Ice Caves, and then back to the Werfen train station for return to Salzburg.

Any tips on how we can do all this without a car ?

Thanks in advance !
Old May 18th, 2005, 02:55 AM

topping for carl
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:53 AM

Whatever you do, take along a warm jacket if you go to the Eisriesenwelt. We went through with a bunch of highschool kids who were in T-shirts; they almost froze. The cave has all sorts of ice formations and is VERY cold inside.
Old May 18th, 2005, 04:56 AM
Peep

I've only been through Werfen on the train but it looked tiny and like you could walk everywhere, or I bet they have buses to the tourist stuff.

Old May 18th, 2005, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks all - any info on where I can find information on buses etc ? I am not too worried about getting from the train station to the Castle or the Ice Caves. Its the trip back that I am worried about - wouldnt want to be stuck in either the castle or the caves without a way to get back !!
Old Jun 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM

My information could be really out-of-date since we did this trip about sixteen years ago.

We asked at the Salzburg Tourist Office about going to the ice caves in Werfen and they helped us with train schedules and information.

We took the local train from Salzburg to Werfen and a bus that went directly to the ice caves was waiting for us in a parking lot across the street from the train station. We boarded the bus with the other tourists (no one spoke English but they used hand gestures to convey the necessary information). We then just followed the crowd.

I was one of the "lucky" ones and was assigned a type of miner's light to carry; it had an open flame. I think every fourth or fifth person carried one. At that time the caves had no artificial lighting except for these lanterns. It was cold but we dressed warmly. The tour was in German but we followed along ok. The only problem we had was climbing a ladder that was covered with ice but we made it.

On the trip down (to get to the caves, we took a gondola and then had a short hike - mainly uphill), we dawdled since we were tired. The bus was waiting for us and dropped us at the train station.

After sixteen years and about forty-five more trips to Europe, this experience still rates in the top twenty.

Oh, since we did the ice caves in the afternoon, we did not have time for the castle.