Should we spend some time in Styria?

Feb 11th, 2019, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Should we spend some time in Styria?

Wrapping up two weeks in Austria in May we have two nights between Klagenfurt and Hallstatt. We have "done" Vienna. The stud farm in Piber sounds interesting. We will have seen enough churches I'm sure. We enjoy scenery, small villages in which to wander, local color. Is Graz of interest? Thank you.
Feb 11th, 2019, 01:26 PM

Stayed in Graz long ago and it was really nice - can't figure why more folks don't go there. Klagenfurt was nice to and has a neat lake.
Feb 11th, 2019, 05:25 PM

we loved Graz-took the train from Vienna although we did have a cousin of a friend to show us around.
Its charming.
there's schloss Eggenberg out of the town -interesting..
Feb 11th, 2019, 11:17 PM

The Hochsteiermark (Upper Styria) is our second favorite place after Tirol for, example, its driving scenery (the Bürgeralm via the panorama road); its wandering (GrünerSee, the lake that disappears in the summer); and food, the classic Styrian Backhendl (exceptional fried chicken) and Vogerlsalat with Kürbiskernol (Bird's Lettuce with Pumpkin Seed Oil).

Graz is also nice; in the near is Schloss Eggenberg as mentioned above, notable for more than just "another Baroque palace." Nearby is Frohnleiten, an adorable town. The Zotter Chocolate Factory is fun, though it is possible to sample too much. The Porsche Diesel Tractor Museum and the Arnold Schwarzenegger Museum are easy day trips; we have visited only the former, so I can not comment on Arnie's place. Burg Riegersburg might be an impressive use of a half day, too.

I hope this is helpful.
Feb 12th, 2019, 05:41 PM

I highly recommend Stift Rein and the Pilgrim's Church of Maria Stassengel outside of Graz!

I've posted info on both in this thread:
Ideas for touring Styria, Austria in April

Also, enjoyed the Piber stud farm.
Feb 13th, 2019, 09:06 AM

We spent a night in Graz last September and enjoyed the city. We found this a useful resource https://www.graztourismus.at/en/see-and-do/sightseeing.
What we particularly enjoyed was meandering along the beautiful Southern Syrian wine route as we drove down to Slovenia.
Feb 14th, 2019, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

I've written all your ideas in my notebook. Thanks.
Feb 14th, 2019, 08:10 AM
Original Poster

Might you have a website for the wine tour? We will be coming from Bled.
Feb 16th, 2019, 03:47 AM

We didn't join any tour, but pieced together a driving itinerary including all the wineries/points of interest we wanted to visit en route. This a high-level map I had created plotting the route (we also stopped at Ehrenhausen tourist office to pickup a detailed printed map of this area before heading further). Most of the wineries have websites with open/close times and contact information, we sent them an email in advance of our visit as a heads-up (though most seemed open to walk-ins as well). The hosts were all very friendly and welcoming, and the white wines in this region are outstanding (a well-kept secret? - we bought several bottles to bring back home), all amidst spectacular Tuscany-like scenery.

After, this we drove across to Maribor where we spent a night, before heading onwards to Ljubljana and Bled. Do remember there are separate "vignettes" (toll stickers) for Slovenia and Austria and you will need both of these as you cross borders.

Last edited by ANUJ; Feb 16th, 2019 at 03:50 AM.
Feb 17th, 2019, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for info. I have copied the map. And thank you for the vignette reminder. We might have forgotten.