Day trips from Vienna

Mar 8th, 2005, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Day trips from Vienna

We're family of four with one week in Vienna. I am already aware of the Melk/Krems/Mutthausen trip, and I know we can go to Budapest if we want a really long day, but what are your other ideas for outskirts or within an hour. We can keep our car for a couple days, but it might be more fun by train/bus... Your ideas please? What about Bratislava?
Mar 8th, 2005, 09:20 AM

You can take a bus to the top of the hills above Vienna and then walk down, ending up in Grinzig. I believe that you shold count on half a day for the entire trip.
Mar 8th, 2005, 12:51 PM

Of course this depends on what you like and when you are in Vienna.

About one hour from Vienna- the mountain town of Semmering- frequent train connections and a scenic ride through mountains , tunnels, bridges- very interesting
In Semmering- winter- skiing, tobagganing hiking or perhaps just a cable car ride to the top of the mountains.- great for kids
In summer - no snow but still fun take a ride to the top -great views - hike a little- many restaurants with good food

This is an easy drive too!
www.semmering.at
The town of Carnuntum- less than one hour by car - this was an outpost city during the roman empire that guarded the border ( Danube River) from barbarians - interesting ruins and good museum. Best seen with a car but can take a train also
This area also produces excelent wine- you can combine history with a wine tasting tour too! Numerous Kellergasse fests ( wine cellar festivals in summer)
www.carnuntum.com - for more info

Alao in this direction is Bratislava.
In my opinion, after Vienna,less interesting. your limited time can be better spent.
Not far from Carnuntum is the Neuiedler See or lake in english. Several interesting towns of Rust, Mörbisch.

Mörbisch has an interesting summer outdoor opera on the lake ( middle of July to end of August). This year they perform " Die Lustige Witwe" the Merry Widow.
Thus , just a few ideas.

Mar 9th, 2005, 05:01 PM

We're going to do a day trip from Batislava. It might be an interesting place, at least for a day. We're staying overnight.
Mar 11th, 2005, 11:19 PM

Hi,

I think Bratislava is a half day rather as it is really close, but not a lot to see. However, the inner city is beautiful, just small.
I would suggest to go to Sopron in Hungary it is about 70kms and one of the most beautful cities in Hungary with good resaturants, nice old city centre with churches from the 13 century, a nice watchout tower...
The centre is so well oreserved when they shoot a movie about the 18th century they just take of the traffic signs and start shooting
Enjoy your stay.
http://www.sopron.hu/sopron/main.php
Tamás
Mar 12th, 2005, 06:07 AM

I'll elaborate on a trip someone already mentioned. If you want to feel as though you are a lot further away from Vienna than you really are, then take Tram 38 from Schottentor to Grinzing, then Bus 38A in the direction of Kahlenberg. The road winds up the hill to the top, and well-marked hiking trails abound. You can get maps of trails at tourist offices.
The tram and bus routes are within the Vienna city zone, and so there are no extra fees over and above the usual tickets and/or passes.
Mar 12th, 2005, 06:55 AM

I'd not take the train, first thing! Keep the car; gives you much more flexibility stop & go as you please. Try Gaming, Austria for a PLEASANT day trip from Vienna. Twenty min. south of the autobahn at the Ybbs exit just west of Melk. Gaming has an 800 yr. old monastery, now the European campus for Franciscan University of Steubenville, OH. The property is 90% refurbished with a beautiful church and an attached hotel and restaurant. English is well understood in this out-of-the-way hamlet.
Mar 13th, 2005, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

thanks for your ideas. To help you --help me --make good choices--we like musical stuff, a 30 minute max hike, we love wine, kids age 12/13, any more cool ideas out there?
Mar 13th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

one more thing--it's the last week of June...