Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Should We Opt for a Later Flight after a Schedule Change?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I'm afraid I already know this answer, but I'm hoping you guys will convince me I'm wrong! The March flight out of Paris for me and my group of 21 college students has been pushed back an hour, leaving only one hour and forty minutes to get through customs, etc. in Philadelphia and make our connecting flight. Of course, any delay from CDG would make the situation even worse! Another option exists for a much longer layover, but the later flight will get us home at around 11:00 p.m. A primary issue of concern with the later arrival time is that many of the kids will then face two or three hour drives to reach their respective homes--perhaps rather dangerous after such a long day. (The Residence Halls will still be closed for Spring Break.) On the other hand, if we miss the earlier connection, I imagine the odds of such a large group being rebooked on the later flight at that point will be slim.

Do any of you have words of wisdom that you might wish to share? I would appreciate your opinions, please.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 09:36 PM

I think with this tight of a connection and a large group that you should take the later flight. Just to get everyone off of the plane usually takes about 30 minutes and then luggage and customs. You are correct in that there is no way that you would all be rebooked on the later flight on that date, too many people.
You don't say where your final destination is. It will be a long day and a 2 or 3 hour drive would not be good. Is there a hotel to stay in at your final desination ? Are there friends/parents who could pick up the students?
I was recently on a short domestic flight with 19 students and we missed our return flight. There were additional flights every 1.5 hours but it took 5 flights to get everyone home. The planes are usually at capacity. Better to be safe and plan ahead of time (otherwise you will just worry).
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 10:50 PM

What you have is a choice between guaranteed mediocre outcome with no upside but a known downside vs. a choice with upsides and uncertain downsides. I don't see either as being "safe." I think the issue is which downside is more acceptable.

Between now and March, the carrier can change the either leg in either direction. Choosing the later flight now foregoes any scheduling upsides as well as operational upsides.

I would frame the issue in terms of which is more acceptable to the stakeholders. Do all students have to decide the same way?

You can start monitoring the actual arrival times of the target flights. They give you some statistical support for your decision. However, like the investment disclaimers, the past performance is not a guarantee of future performance.
Old Dec 17th, 2009, 11:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Ask the airline concerned. Flights are routinely delayed when a group that large is making a connection. They will tell you what their policy is.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 04:06 AM

I would contact the airline directly. Tell them the size of your group and that they are all students. Give them your concerns. I'm not kidding in this, tell them you are a member of this travel board, which ofcourse links to other travel boards. Then politely request that should you miss your original connection you believe the airline should have no problem putting together some hotel rooms and a next day flight for your large group.

They will whine about it, but be sure to let them know that most of the tens of thousands of members of this travel board are parents and are linked with major universities. Bad news can travel very quickly. While at the same time, if they treat your group the correct and SAFE way, the good news can also travel quickly.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 04:12 AM

Are all flights on same airline? (presumably US Air). Or at least partner airlines? If so, I agree with checking with the airline and see what their policy is. I also agree that the schedule could change again between now and Mar, so I wouldn't rush to make a decision now. Just explore your options.

I belong to a group that has a conference in Europe every Mar (All of us are in the US). A couple of times our connections have been delayed (in Europe), and the airline (in this case LH) has held the overseas flight to accommodate us. Most airlines will work with groups in these situations.
Old Dec 18th, 2009, 09:16 AM

No airline is going to put you up overnight for noting.

If both flights are the same airline - or partners - and the delay is short, they may hold the ongoing flight for such a large group. (I know this happens, I've been a victim of it twice. Each time for about 30 minutes. If it's a substantial delay - I think you would just be out of luck.)
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your suggestions. I did contact the airline, but they were of little help and would not commit to any of my requests. Thus, I think I will have to accept a much longer layover and a much later arrival time at home. In so doing, I will strongly encourage the students to have parents or friends pick them up rather than undertaking a long, late drive home. The other scenario that figured into my final decision was possibly missing the earlier flight and having large numbers of parents (varying distances from their homes) learn that their students wouldn't arrive until the next day!
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 07:17 AM

If you go at the later time is there any quaranty that you will all be together from Philadelphia? IF not, I would take the earlier flight and hope that the airline would hold the plane for you. We have waited for a group like yours to board.

Philadelphis is a nice airport and if you have to wait anywhere I would rather have the students wait there as in CDG.
Old Dec 21st, 2009, 08:57 AM
Original Poster

Yes, we can all be accomodated on the later flight. The long layover will be in Philadelphia--indeed a nice airport--so we will just plan for a leisurely dinner there and a late evening flight home to Charlotte.

Thank you again for your input!