Should we book hotel now?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the dollar being so weak and a lot of people leaving Paris in August, do we really need to book our hotel now? We will be travelling through Scandinavia in the summer and we're planning on buying our plane ticket to Paris from there. That's why it makes it hard for us to know the exact date when we will be going and I'm hoping I'll be able to find a hotel (Le Madison hopefully) at that time. But will that be too late?
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 07:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
If you like a specific, relatively small hotel (52 rooms), I'd book it in advance unless you don't mind paying for a more expensive room, say a deluxe room at 355 euros rather than a classic double at 245 euros if that's all that's available.

Old Jun 5th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Please remember that a lot of people who LIVE in Paris leave the city for their holiday in August...and probably as many people ARRIVE in August on their own vacation including YOU.

I would definitely make a reservation and i would definitely make it in a place that offers air conditioning.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 07:06 AM

Personally I would have had the hotel already booked. I book my hotels as far as 8 months in advance. I stayed in the 6th since 1981. As far as people being gone in August...it's the Parisiens that will be gone...not the tourists. And everyone isn't dealing in dollars...there are people from all over the world vacationing in Paris. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 07:27 AM

"so many leaving Paris" too funny. As pointed out, it isn't the tourists leaving Paris, it is the locals, and they do not affect hotel occumpany!! Second, EVERYONE does NOT leave Paris in August, locals included.
Third it is always better to book ahead, I have gotten some great deals that way, and yes, in August there are often room specials, but they get booked up by people like me, who booked ahead.
I would start looking now.

PS YOUR weak dollar is not really going to affect Paris that much, remember Americans are not the only tourists in the sea. BUT< that all being said, will you be able to find a room at last minute. Yes of course you will, it just may not be your first( or second) choice. There are lastminute.com booking sites I believe.

PPS. I would think twice about your booking your airline ticket last minute, there are rarely deals doing it that way, and as you know everything is more expensive in the Scandianavian countries, you may look forward to getting down to Paris sooner then you think!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 07:38 AM

I have to echo the advice not to wait until the last minute for your plane ticket. What is the sense in that, given how expensive it will be?

From the questions you posted, you seem interested in very popular hotels. I am pretty sure you'd find something if you left booking until the last minute in August, but probably not for popular hotels like the ones you have posted about.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 08:30 AM

The Madison is very popular; don't wait.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 08:56 AM

there are plenty of hotel rooms in Paris in August, that is why so many hotels give discounts. If you have your heart set on one particular hotel, of course, you should book it -- particularly a small one. There should be no problem at all finding a hotel room in August. Paris doesn't exist solely for tourists, that is why hotels give discounts in August. They don't do that for no reason, they do it because they have more vacancies.

I have never booked a Paris hotel room 8 months in advance, and I've never had a problem booking one in the summer and getting one where I wanted, but I don't stay in hotels like the Madison that are listed in a lot of guidebooks, in St Germain, etc. I do have hotels I choose, it's not that I have no opinion, but I usually book my hotel rooms in Paris about 6-8 weeks ahead to get what I want.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 09:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
2 things - not only will you have to take what you can get (both hotel and rate) because it is a very busy holiday time -- but also, last minute airfares are much higher. You will save a LOT if you book your flights as soon as you have your dates instead of waiting til the last minute. Therefore - you can book the hotel as soon as you book your flight.

We are not talking about 8 months in advance. You are going in about 2 months.
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 09:43 AM

Christina...The reason that I have booked as far as 8 months in advance is that I have no flexibility as to when my vacation is. I have a certain time that I can take it and I have to be sure that I have a hotel room...and one in my price range and desired location.
I recently booked my Paris apartment 9 months in advance which got me the apartment I wanted along with the price and location.
Once I had to book a hotel room at the last minute due to a friend's parent taking very sick. I was to stay at their apartment in Paris. I called every hotel, on my list, and in my price range...in the 6th... and also a few out of my price range and there was nothing available and that was in the month of April. I ended up, in a hotel, in the north end of the 9th. Happy Travels!
Old Jun 5th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The Madison Hotel is a wonderful property, and very popular, but make sure you upgrade to the front of the hotel overlooking the street as the back rooms are rather dark.
Another one we've enjoyed is the Relais de Medicis near the Odeon. Not quite as fancy, but very nice in a good location. The Madison's breakfast is more extensive than the Medicis.
We,ve always booked ahead of time because the Madison fills up quick--you may have an easier time getting into the Medicis.
Good Luck!