Reload this Page >

Should I leave the car in Avignon?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:27 AM
gina r.

Hello all,<BR>We will be in the Avignon area for a week and then onto the Nice are for 3 nights. I will pick up our rental car when we get into Avignon. I am torn as whether to leave the car in Avignon and take trains until we leave or drive the car to Nice and drop it at the airport when we leave. Is having a car in the Nice area (with all the day trips to all of the most mentioned arease) a good or bad idea? I have read some things about traffic and parking being an issue. Should it be this way in early/mid October?<BR>Thanks,<BR>Gina

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:42 AM
Wayne

Keep the car in Nice. You can find parking garages in various parts of town. And if you intend to go up into the hills to some of the neat spots, a car will be much more convenient. Returning the car at the Nice airport is easy. Look for the signs for your rental agency, and take the shuttle bus back to the terminal. If you have passengers (which the "we" in your message suggests) go to the temporary drop-off parking places in front of the Nice terminal and let them out with their baggage; then take the car to the return area.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:45 AM
Fred

I would definitely keep the car. Nice won't be that crowded in October and you will want it to drive north of Nice. Visit Vence, St Paul de Vence, Mougins, Tourettes sur Loup, Menton, Eze. Nice airport easy to drop car at. For Paris information go to www.anamericaninparis.com

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 08:49 AM
John B.

Gina:<BR><BR>Keep the car and drive to Nice. It is certainly convenient and almost a necessity to have a car to explore Provence. <BR><BR>Driving in and out of Avignon won't be fun because the traffic is very heavy and despite my having been there several times I still get confused. We always stay in the nearby villages.<BR><BR>Driving in October should not be a problem.<BR><BR>If you are wondering what to do and see in the Avignon area check out the archives and postings at The Magic of Provence Group that I moderate at:<BR><BR>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/provence

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:07 AM
gina r.

Ok, I'm keeping the car!<BR>Thanks for the advice and quick responses.