Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Things to do/see on work/recreational trip to Rhineland

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:36 AM
jad

I will be travelling for work to the Rhineland area in mid October, I have a scheduled itinerary: we arrive in Dusseldorf, go to Nideggen, Monchau, Aachen, and Koln before heading back.

I am completely open to any suggestions on places to see and visit, I do enjoy museums but do not want to spend all of my free time touring one museum after another. Any good buys of note?

I am also interested in knowing if anyone has stayed at these hotels: Dusseldorf: Hotel Carat, Koln: Hotel Viktoria, what did you think?

Thanks for your help

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 05:37 PM
nancy

From Koln I drove to Trier which was a real highlight. Not sure how far that is but definitely worth it. Also, a Rhine cruise is great.

Old Sep 21st, 2002, 08:59 PM
Carrabella

Koln alone has fantastic museums and churches - near the Dom (Cathedral) is the Roman-Germanic Museum, under the town hall, you can visit a Roman sewer (still in use, but under glass - something different!)and see 11th Century Jewish Baths through a glass pyramid, and further down on the Rhine (still walking distance) a chocolate museum with a chocolate fountain (great fun) and I believe next door, a brand new Olympic Sport Museum. Don't miss the pub life in any of the myriad pubs in the Altstadt.
There's even a bank with a fountain dispensing 4711 Eau de Cologne!
Kolners have a great sense of humour and zest for life!

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 05:46 AM
Dave

Aachen is a great place with lots of history. Be sure to spend some time at the Kaiserdom - the first domed church north of the Alps, I believe, and site of coronation for many Holy Roman Emperors.

Monschau is a very pretty little town hidden away in the Eifel Mountains. Because of economic problems, it was "frozen in time", looking much as it must have several centuries ago. There is a castle (now a hostel, I think) and some specific buildings of note, but I would recommend just wandering about to enjoy the atmosphere.

I also think Trier would be well worth visiting if you can fit it in. Some of the best Roman ruins in Northern Europe, plus an impressive medieval cathedral and Roccoco palace.

Old Sep 23rd, 2002, 09:17 AM
Russ

Ditto on Monschau - it's a gem. We stayed near the center of town in a B&B that once was a weaver's workshop - fabric was the major product prior to the town's economic demise - and which is still owned by descendents of the same weaver. Ms. Eussen has two basic but comfortable rooms she rents at very economical prices, and serves a terrific breakfast. You can ask about her place and other B&B's at the tourist office in Monschau if interested: [email protected]

The American Cemetery (Henri Chapelle) is very impressive and an easy outing from Monschau or Aachen. It's near Eupen and Welkenraedt, just across the border in Belgium.