should I bring cash?

Search

should I bring cash?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
should I bring cash?

It is now less than two weeks before I leave for Rome, and I'm trying to figure out some of the nitty-gritty details.

I've read here that ATMs give the best exchange rates, so I plan to get most of my cash at ATMs once I get to Europe. My question is, should I bring any cash just in case? Bringing US dollars seems silly since it would be difficult to exchange them (right?), but it is expensive to get euros before I leave. On the other hand, it seems strange to leave the country without any cash! I do have two ATM cards and credit cards (so does my husband) so there is a back up if one doesn't work or gets lost, but still. Plus, what if I want food in the airport?

What are your thoughts?

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 10:58 AM

I would bring a couple hundred dollars just for emergencies. We have never had to use it, but you never know.

ATMs and credit cards are the way to go. I would wait to get your Euro when you arrive in Rome. If you need that warm & fuzzy feeling of having some Euro when you arrive, get about $50 at the airport departure terminal, or just wait until you arrive Rome.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:02 AM

In case of emergency I usually bring

1) About $100 in US cash - yes the rate of exchange will be awful but for so little money it doesn;t really matter

2)Whatever I have leftover in euros or pounds

Have never yet had to use the $ - in many many trips.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:08 AM

I'm probably in the minority here but I always get about 50-60 euro before I leave, just in case whatever transort we choose from the airport won't take credit cards. I do not like to use airport ATM's. I
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:08 AM

I agree with the $100 in US cash, of which I'd bring $30 in singles, a few $5's, $10's, etc . Not for there...for here. Tip the skycap, buy the newspaper or the pack of gum, etc for the flight, eat something prior to getting on the plane, money for when I return and need to pay for my parking or tips for the car driver if I don't drive myself. There's nothing worse than trying to break a $50 or $100 bill at the airport...especially if you have a morning flight.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Well, sounds like we should bring some cash, LOL. Thanks for the tips. I hadn't really thought about needing cash before we leave. I plan to bring snacks and reading materials from home, but you're right, we might want to get something at the airport anyway. And I guess in an emergency we aren't going to worry about the exchange rate. We'll each bring at least $100 USD.

Thanks!
Kasey
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:19 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I always carry at least $300USD with me. And most often get ~$200 euro or CHF (switzerland) from my home bank pre-trip.

Yes you need money for food at the airport. No I do not suggest getting on a plane without cash.
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 11:24 AM
ira

Hi K,

You will need USD at the airport. You might need USD on the plane.

Converting about $100 to Euro at the airport will cost you about $4 more than in Rome, but you won't have to look for ATMs on arrival.

USD traveler's checks are useful as emergency funds. You can deposit them in your bank account when you get home.

Have a nice trip.

Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:30 PM

AAA offers Gratuity Packs for $100 which consist of EURO paper currency & coins (exchange to be taken into consideration.) These are very convenient for the start of a trip.

We are AAA members, but I would imagine that they would assist even if you are not. Good luck
Old Mar 13th, 2006, 05:46 PM

We always arrive (despite the slightly less than favorable exchange rate) with enough of the local currency to get us to the hotel, cover coffee/water immediately upon landing, and a decent meal once we've stored our bags at the hotel.

Before departure, we always make sure we've withdrawn sufficient Euros for arrival our next trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:22 AM

I haven't found cash to be an absolute necessity in airports. It is a convenience, for sure, if all you need is altoids or gum. But airport vendors overwhelmingly accept plastic.
The last time I was at Hartsfield in Atlanta, I would estimate more than half the people in the Burger King line paid with credit or debit cards.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:34 AM

Just make sure you call your bank to see if there are any extra fees involved with using your debit card abroad. I am heading to Paris in two weeks and just found out I will be charged $5 for any and all debit transactions. Also, the card can only be used at ATM machines and not at point of service. Very alarming for us. I am now reconsidering traveller's cheques.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:39 AM

I usually have $100 in USD just in case and to use at American airports, but always get the local currency at an ATM at the arrival airport and have never had a problem. If the exchange rate is good I get euros to take home for my next trip.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:45 AM

I have nothing against travelers' checks, but I'd consider opening a different bank account if I were you, mijols3. There are many with low fees out there, or a credit union if possible.

I also liked having some Euros upon arrival, for your taxi or whatever. I don't think the airports are the best exchange rate and you are tired and have luggage.

We were able to buy a few Euros from a friend who came back. It was nice to get a few Euros in change to use to get luggage carts. (And we had kids with us who couldn't carry much beyond their carry-on backpack.)

I would also suggest that you call your VISA issuer and let them know you will be traveling to Italy (and the dates) so that your charges will not be denied.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 09:54 AM

It's nice to have a little bit, for stuff in the airport, initial bus/train fare (or cab if you prefer that), etc., though you can usually get to an airport ATM pretty easily. It's also good to have some money in a widely used currency ($, euro, GBP) as an emergency reserve if everything goes pear-shaped; enough to get to the Embassy and beg for help ($100 or so).
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 11:42 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I stash a second credit card (different account from the one I'm carrying) and some U.S. cash in an inside pocket of my suitcase and leave it there for the duration of the trip, for emergencies.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:37 PM

..I always have about 100 euros with some bills of small denominations...great for taxi and tip..I really don't want to run around the airport looking for a functioning cash machine of fiddling with with my Visa to buy an RER ticket..I have learned the hard way!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Krysia:
Does AAA give a good echange rate. We are members and I never thought of that!

always have some cash in home currency and local currency
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:17 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I don't know about Italy but in France if you get caught speeding you must pay euros on the spot-95€
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 01:22 PM

The above mentioned, called your credit cards and advise them you'll be using the cards in Italy...oooh my, do do that!
Caught my boss off-quard with his Platinum card in Ireland!! Wow, was he lets say "annoyed"!
I always take some Euro's with me, and some dollars...
I have a friend who works at a bank and she buys them with no fees. I buy her a drink!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -