Search

Short visit to Spain

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2010, 04:52 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short visit to Spain

April 2010 Spain

We recently returned from a short vacation to Spain. We spent several days in Sevilla and a couple of days in Madrid. Our nonstop flight from Philadelphia to Madrid was uneventful and unaffected by the volcano, other than the fact that coach on USAIR is horrible, squeezed in like sardines.

Upon arrival to Madrid, we made our way to the metro and off to Sevilla by AVE. The metro was quite a walk from customs considering how long we had been without sleep. We asked questions at every turn and soon we had arrived at main train station. The AVE train from Madrid to Sevilla was wonderful, big wide seats, movie and a dining car to get coffee and a snack. We purchased our tickets on line with Renfe before we left and received what I feel was a good price. From the Train station in Sevilla, it was a 15 minute or less, 7 euro taxi ride to our hotel in the Barrio Santa Cruz.

Sevilla: Arriving at the Hotel Amadeus we were greeted by the most warm, friendly and beautiful family that owns the hotel. With hugs and exchange of gifts we were taken to our lovely room on the 1st floor. There was plenty of room and a nice size bathroom by European standards. The hotel itself is adorned with musical instruments and paraphernalia and was spotlessly clean.

The location is perfect for walking to anything you would want to see or do in Sevilla. Tapas bars/restaurants at every turn and just a 5 minute stroll to the Cathedral and Alcazar, which are both UNESCO world heritage sites. Amadeus offers a continental breakfast with fresh squeezed orange juice and breads. You can have it served most anywhere in the hotel, even the roof top. There were notepads to use in the lobby as well as free wireless throughout the building.

We were there to celebrate our shared birthdays. On the afternoon of our birthday when returning from the morning activities, we were met by the owners and staff and presented with a wonderfully tasty birthday cake. We shared it with other guests and staff members and enjoyed the taste and the thought very much! Susana one of the staff members, seem to be in constant motion, always pleasant and helpful and always with a smile and a hello, she was a joy.

With respect to the owners of Amadeus; Maria, Cristina and Zaida are without a doubt some of the most wonderful people we have met on our lifetime of travels. Caring, informative and not to mention gorgeous! Leaving them was like leaving family behind, Francine and I will never forget them.

Dining in Sevilla; we both agreed that dining options were plentiful and most affordable. Our first lunch on the day of our arrival took place in two different tapas bars with two glasses of wine and several tapas, the combined bill for both restaurants was under 14 Euros..I am just going to mention our two favorite places to eat; La Juderia for sit down dinner with great food and service and for tapas, we enjoyed Las Teresas almost every day!

Sevilla: A maze of history and neighborhoods that date back more than 2000 years. If you take time to see through the web of tourist that covers the city, you’ll find a population of warm, beautiful, hardworking people. Not to mention with a passion to celebrate, everywhere you go seems to have a convivial atmosphere.

Giant palm trees, the smell of orange blossoms through the air and the warm sun blanket this enchanting place. Life’s road is to short and the world to small to say I will be back soon but a piece of Sevilla will always be with us.

Madrid: After several days in Sevilla we took a taxi to the main train station and back onto the AVE for Madrid. Arriving at the station we quickly haled a taxi and asked to be taken to the Plaza Santa Anna.
Madrid is architecturally beautiful with wide vias and grand plazas. Spain has become one of the culinary capitals of the world and in some opinions; Madrid cradles some of the most innovative restaurants on earth. Though be it out of my price range, we were able to fine many possibilities to enjoy great Spanish food on a budget. Here is one of our budget restaurants that serve up the best paella, La Barraca.

We staying at the Roommate hotel Alicia, we found it to be clean, close to everything and with a very accommodating staff. We stayed in an executive room for about 145 Euros with breakfast and free wifi. Our room came with a rooftop sun deck which had a bed and a shower outside. My wife and I felt the location was perfect for us, we could walk to anything we wanted and just 5 minutes to the Prado and other great attractions.

Sitting in the sun in one of the plazas sipping good inexpensive wine was a very relaxing way to enjoy the day and people watch. One night we ate outside in what was told to us by hotel staff, a popular restaurant with the locals, La Trucha had a friendly staff and good food, we enjoyed our evening very much. Remember that going out for dinner at 10:30 was normal here.

Add Spain to our list of memorable places we have been. Wonderful architecture, beautiful people and in trenched with history at every turn.

JohnB
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:40 AM

Nice report, JohnB. Sounds like you had a wonderful time!Thanks for posting.
Old May 11th, 2010, 05:44 AM

thanks for your report. We returned from Madrid and Barcelona just a week ago. Spain is one of our favorite destination -
history, food, wine, diversity of cultures and scenery...
a place to revisit many times.
Old May 11th, 2010, 06:04 AM

After reading your report and other's posting, I cannot wait to visit Madrid and Seville next summer!
Old May 12th, 2010, 06:29 AM

Spain is so addictive - I keep returning to the same places (Andalusia and Catalonia) and so really need to tear myself away from Barcelona and the tapas of Granada... but I've heard Madrid just isnt as exciting?
Old May 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM

Madrid has to be strolled,( in the parks..down the narrow side streets) get lost, get out into the neighborhoods. It doesn' t jump out at you. Suggestions

Museo del Traje
Real Convento de las Descalzas
Palacio de Linares tour on weekends
bar hopping in La Latina district

and of course, the museums, Juan March Foundation, recitals, concerts, etc and Fabulous Flamenco in a number of established tablaos.
Old May 12th, 2010, 01:43 PM

sassy,
Madrid is a huge city, but it has nice areas ( Retiro, near the Palace, Salamanca, etc), sevral great museums, Toledo and Segovia half an hour away. It does not have the charm of Barcelona ( my favorite) but if you love Spain ...it is a must.
Old May 12th, 2010, 10:59 PM

Sassytraveller,
You easily might addicted to the Basque Country. San Sebastian is awesome! And is the tapas-paradise too!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/eduydor...45665/sizes/l/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/8230500...30028/sizes/l/
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

The pictures are beautiful!