Reload this Page >

Trip report of Spain and Portugal--just returned

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2002, 12:25 PM
nancy

<BR>Message: Hello! I got so much good advice from people here, that I want to say a bit of what I did and see if I can answer anyone's questions. We had a fabulous trip and everything went very smoothly!<BR><BR>We flew into Madrid and spent the first two nights at Hostal Dulcinea, but not really at the hostal. We reserved the apartment and they really took us to a full apartment about 5 blocks away. This was the best deal of the whole trip--60 euros a night and we could have cooked and washed clothes there if we were staying longer. The people were friendly and helpful. This is very close to the Prado, which was important to me, but it is only a ten minute walk to the center with Plaza Mayor, Puerta del Sol, etc.<BR><BR>We also took an afternoon trip to Toledo which was very nice. Such a beautful cathedral! We just went to the Atocha station and bought tickets in the morning to go later that afternoon. <BR><BR>Then we took the AVE to Seville. Again, we just bought these tickets the day before we left (same time we bought the tickets to Toledo, although you have to buy them in a different place.) We didn't have any problem not making earlier reservations, but I think I would make reservations if I were going in the summer when it was really busy because one time was sold out and our hour didn't have non-smoking seats available. So, they were selling out.<BR><BR>In Seville, we stayed at Casas de la Juderia. It was a fantasic hotel. Our room was very nice and the staff was very friendly and helpful.<BR><BR>We rented a car at National Car Rental (I did this on the internet before going on the trip) to pick up a car at the Seville train station. We drove down to Malaga, where we were catching our plane to Lisbon that evening. So, we had a leisurely drive through the hills and olive groves and sunflower fields (!) of Andalucia. We just went to touch the Mediterranean, but didn't have time to stay on the beach too long.<BR><BR>We flew to Lisbon and stayed a couple nights at Lisboa Plaza. The location was great, and so was our room, but I think it was over-priced and you could probably do better. (My sweet husband was in charge of that one and booked a nice room since it was my 30th birthday, but if you're just trying to get a nice room at a good price, there have to be better deals!) Eating well was very cheap in Portugal.<BR><BR>Then we went to Sintra and spent 3 nights in Quinta Das Sequoias which was out of the way and very secluded and romantic. They had a nice staff that spoke English quite well, which is not the case all over Portugal. I speak Spanish and didn't have any trouble in Spain, but Portugal was a bit of a challenge. I liked it though. Although people were polite in Portugal(with the exception of one very rude waiter), we found people to be a lot friendlier in Spain. Just our observation.<BR><BR>Finally, we returned to Madrid for just one night because we were flying out from there our last morning. We were glad to have one more day in Madrid. There have been mixed reviews on Madrid, and I know it's all a matter of personal opinion, but we loved that city! I thought it was pretty, clean, nice architecture and people, lots to do and see, etc.<BR><BR>Well, ask me any questions if you think I can be of help. I kind of just gave the outline and can fill in details of what we saw, where we went, etc. if anyone is interested.<BR><BR>Nancy<BR><BR> <BR>

Old May 28th, 2002, 02:38 PM
Wendy

Nancy, thanks for the great trip report. I also am a big fan of Madrid! <BR><BR>Happy 30th! Sounds like a great way to celebrate!

Old May 28th, 2002, 04:46 PM
Art

Glad you had a goot trip. I enjoyed Madrid, but did not have as much time that I would like to have had. I thought the the AVE was a great way to travel. Wish there were more of them.

Old May 29th, 2002, 02:27 AM
Debbie

Nancy, thanks for your report. We are so looking forward to our Spain trip in a few weeks.

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:05 AM
visiting

Nancy..how much was the Casa Juderia? What kind of accomodations did you have?

Old May 31st, 2002, 08:23 AM
Nancy

Our room as Casas was 123 Euros. It was a nice room--not huge, but very adequate. Pretty double bed and quite a large bathroom with many nice amenities, in-room safe, wetbar, etc. Let me know if I didn't answer something you're specifically looking for.<BR><BR>Nancy

Old Jun 5th, 2002, 11:07 AM
Cathie

Nancy,<BR>How did you work the Madrid Hotel bit with an apt? We're a family traveling in July and would like a similar option.<BR>Cathie