Shopping in Paris

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:00 PM
Angela

Shopping in Paris

I have one day to shop in Paris at the end of the summer sales. Would love some recommendations Gallaries Lafayette vs. Printemps, vs. Bon Marche. Unfortunately, due to time constraints will only be able to shop at one. Thanks Fodorites

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:19 PM
colleen

Go to Galleries Lafayette near the Opera. Overall, much better than the other stores. Prices were very good.

Don't forget to claim your VAT Refund. The store will give you the form that needs to be handed in at the airport.

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:22 PM
barbara

Galleries Lafayettes is literaly right next door to Printemps on the Blvd. Hauseman, on the right ban,. Both are huge! Bon Marche is much smaller, and has a nice lingerie dept. It is in the 7th arr. Also, the food market is unbelievable at the Bon Marche, it is downstairs in the building next door. Prices on fine soaps, foie gras, chocolate are very good and easy to take as gifts. GL has more prepared foods. I hope this helps!

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:31 PM
Angela

Thanks, I didn't realize that Gal and Printemps were so close.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 01:09 PM
Christina

I like both Bon Marche and Gallaries Lafayette, don't much care for Printemps. For some reason, I have found and bought more during summer sales at Bon Marche than GF, mainly belts, sweateries, simple things, also I like their purses and accessories dept. GF has Arche shoes if you want them. Maybe it depends what you mainly want to look for. With no real preference, I'd agree going to bd Hausmann makes sense since they are next to each other.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:11 PM
Jen

Angela:

Printemps is similar to a Macy's, Filene's, Lazarus, etc.

Le Bon Marche is similar to Saks, Nordstroms.

Can't comment on Galleries Lafayette.

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 06:16 AM
Angela

Thanks, so much for the info especially the analogies.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:29 AM
wendy

Just got back from Paris and shopping. Give yourself alot of time to shop at Gal. It was a zoo. You would think that they were giving things away. Also, it was extremely hot in the store. My friends went on Sat, and walked right out. Keep away from the weekends.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:30 AM
Wendy

Also, you can only pay at certain registers with the 10% off discount card. Ask before you get on a line.

Old Aug 9th, 2001, 05:34 AM
andi

Haven't been to Bon March or Printemps but LOVE Galleries Lafayette. I was there two years ago, and can't wait to return next April. First of all, the store itself is beautiful. Make sure you remember to look up and you'll see what I mean. The lingerie and purse departments are amazing. I bought several work outfits there last trip that were very reasonably priced and that still look very stylish.

Old Aug 10th, 2001, 11:34 AM
Kimbuys

I've been three times, and still prefer Galeries Lafayette over Printemps. Last trip the air conditioning wasn't working at Printemps and I promptly left. If you want to shop for food items, I love Fauchon and Hediard.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:32 PM
mimi taylor

You'll never forget the beautiful stained glass dome you will be under at the GL and the tiers of balconies housing designer after designer.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:49 PM
Sue

Allow lots of time for GL; it was like sensory overload for me!

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 04:55 PM
Alexa

I also love Galeries Lafayette. I prefer it over Printemps. I think Bon Marche is a little stuffy. Don't know what you are looking for in particular, but there are also smaller shops in the vicinity that are worth checking out. I know you said you don't have a lot of time but I personally love Zara (even though they are also here in the U.S.).

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 05:46 PM
shopper

When do the summer sales end ? Will I be able to find any light weight/summerish clothing during the first week of September ?

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 06:42 PM
John G

There is much better shopping on the left bank in St. Germain de Pres. Here you will find individual boutiques rather than cookie-cutter department stores. There are also some interesting places on Kleber near the steps that lead away from the ET.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 08:29 PM
Mare

I preferred Printemps. I felt a bit uncomfortable in Bon Marche, but maybe it was just sticker shock.