help needed. william morris gallery

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 06:41 AM
Patricia Li

help needed. william morris gallery

How can I get to William Morris Gallery in London?

Old Feb 18th, 2000, 07:38 AM
ron

I presume you have been to the website, http://www.lbwf.gov.uk/wmg/home.htm <BR> <BR>Is there something about their "how to get there" instructions that you do not understand?

Old Jun 29th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Ada

I am thinking about going to the William Morris Gallery in Walthamstow, and yes, I have visited the website! I am wondering how long is the ride from Central London? The website states the walk from station to gallery is 15 mins, anyone familiar with the area? Is it easy to find or a nice walk? Any help would be much appreciated!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 01:30 PM
Ada

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 03:30 PM
Suzy

We went to the gallery last summer, but we drove so I can't help with the tube time. In ggeneral, the rule of thumb on the tube is to allow 3 minutes per station and 15 minutes per transfer between lines.<BR><BR>As I recall from our driving there, the streets are well-marked and you shouldn't have any trouble finding it on foot. The neighborhood has been intensely developed since the Morrises lived there! I'd characterize it as a middle-class urban neighborhood, lots of small businesses, markets, etc. nearby.<BR><BR>The place is well worth the trip -- we learned SO much and got great insights into Morris's life and the whole Arts and Crafts movement and related stuff. We were there on a rainy day and so couldn't enjoy the gardens, except from the windows, but they looked lovely. <BR><BR>The gift "shop" was a disappointing tiny corner -- we're not usually big shoppers but we had had high hopes for this one!

Old Jul 1st, 2002, 08:41 PM
janis

Patricia: An even better place to visit if you can get out of the city is Kelmscott Manor. This is Morris' home and gardens near the village of Lechlade midway between Swindon and Burford.<BR><BR>It is a fabulous home and every inch is as he left it. You could take the train to Swindon and then a taxi to the Manor. it is about 8+ miles.

Old Jul 2nd, 2002, 09:10 PM
Ada

Thank you Suzy & Janis! I am probably going to Kelmscott Manor anyway, but I thought I would visit the gallery while in London. Any other inputs?