Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Is Notting Hill Area convenient area in which to stay in London?

Jan 22nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
moo
Original Poster

Trying to find apartment in London for one week end of March. Considering a place in Notting Hill area near Royal Oak tube station. How is the area? Restaurants, pubs? Is it near tourist sites? How far to live theater? Two adults and two teen travellers. Thanks for your advice.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:03 PM

Notting Hill is sort of interesting and a nice place to stay if you want to be out of the very center of things. Not all that convenient but OK.

But you are asking about Royal Oak - which really isn't in Notting Hill. What is the actual address, or street name at least? Royal Oak is NW of Paddington station and beyond Wetsbourne Grove.

Royal Oak is on the Hammersmith & City tube line -- so you are guaranteed to have at least one change of line/transfer to get anywhere.

It is not walking distance to ANY sites/tourist attractions except Hyde Park/Kensingto Gardens.

If you can give a link to the actual flat -- or just the street name, we can help more. Plus, just about anyplace would be OK if the rent is low enough.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:17 PM

We stayed in Notting Hill for a week last summer and enjoyed the area. The Royal Oak tube station is a bit removed from Notting Hill but is actually more convenient for public transport. Where we stayed, farther west and therefore more in Notting Hill proper, it was a bit of a hike to the tube, and we depended on buses.

There are plenty of restaurants and pubs along Westbourne Grove and Queensway, although I don't know what is right around the Royal Oak station.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
moo
Original Poster

Thanks! Not sure of the address, the website doesn't give one but indicates it is near the Royal Oak station. If I find any further details for location, I will certainly post it.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 08:06 PM

Well - landlords have a way of cheating a bit to make their places sound better to visitors.

Somehow many Earls Court flats are described as Kensington or South Kensington - sounds better.

Probably the same w/ this flat -- Royal Oak/Paddington just doesn't hav ethe same cache as "Notting Hill". But Royal Oak is closer to Paddington or Bayswater than to Notting Hill.

If you are interested in the flat - the owner should at minimum give you the street name. If you post a link to the place, we might be able to figure out where it really is.
Jan 22nd, 2010, 10:39 PM

First of all, Royal Oak is now on the CIRCLE Line, as well as the H&C, so it's got very frequent trains to much of London, and in some ways is extremely convenient to get about from.

But this ISN'T Notting Hill, as most Londoners know it these days - though it's perfectly legitimate to call it that. However, I'd start off slightly leery until there was good evidence for not being leery.

Much of London consists of areas with no official boundaries. There are really two, quite distinct, Notting Hills. You might need to go to Google Maps, and type in Ladbroke Grove, to follow this.

Notting Hill takes its name from a hill near Ladbroke Grove tube station, which is two stops further away from the centre on the same line as Royal Oak. The area between those two stations attracted a large wave of Caribbean immigration in the early 50s, leading to Britain's first race riots, known at the time as the Notting Hill Riots. It's now better known for the annual Notting Hill carnival - allegedly Europe's largest street party - which is essentially to London's black population what St Patrick's Day is to New Yorkers who claim to be Irish. Only the Notting Hill music is infinitely better. Though the carnival is mostly centred round Ladbroke Grove, most Londoners call the area North Kensington, or sometimes Ladbroke Grove (see www.terrascope.co.uk/Features/LadbrokeGrove.htm)

Separately, and about three quarters of a mile south, there's an area roughly clustered round Notting Hill Gate tube. That's the area Londoners these days call Notting Hill. Londoners' Notting Hill is extremely expensive (spending £10 million on a three-bedroom house isn't at all rare), pretty and vibrant in a modern, rather sanitised, urban way. They set some of those awful 'Hugh Grant looking winsome' films for the US market there, for example. It's also, by and large, extremely safe, and heavily populated by temporary expatriates, from Swiss bankers, through Hong Kongers wanting a second house here in case China explodes, to out and out Russian kleptocrats. It's also where the coterie round the next Prime Minster have their London houses.

North Kensington's rather edgier - and a great deal more popular with people who want to live somewhere that sounds 'cutting edge'. It has excellent restaurants and the like: but you certainly need to be more careful about your route from the tube station to the flat at night than round Notting Hill Gate tube. Don't over-react to this: well-educated, middle-class, white English people happily bring their children up in the area precisely because it doesn't have the gated community feel of some of the streets round Notting Hill Gate tube.

BUT: stray a bit north of Royal Oak and it gets slightly iffier. You definitely need better particulars.
Jan 23rd, 2010, 03:22 AM

Notting hill is the high st plus the bit behind the Gate (where Geales is) and portobello Rd as far as the Westway.

The rest is Ladbroke Grove, Westbourne Park or indeed Royal Oak.

Royal Oak's fine in itself, but it ain't notting hill.

And that's official (honest it is).
Jan 23rd, 2010, 10:22 AM

Even though Royal Oak may be part of the Circle Line now, it will still require at least one change to get anywhere - unless you fancy taking the long way around
Jan 23rd, 2010, 07:24 PM

A great area! - but I noticed when booking hotels in London last year that they are not very accurate with their geography and tend to claim the name of the nearest "nice" area rather than where they actually are.

Portabello Road is still the greatest place for Antiques etc - market on Sundays

may I suggest you go to the London underground site and scrutinize the maps - you will then get a good idea of how convenient it is for your travelling needs.

I love the Notting Hill area - lived there many years ago - and remember there are buses as well as Tube trains.
Feb 1st, 2010, 01:10 AM

Some of the above replies are a bit odd. I've lived in Notting Hill for 15 years and it's the best place I've ever lived. It is very convenient. There are tube stations scattered all around it, so it's a bit odd that someone mentioned they had to reply on buses. Obviously they must have been in some area outside Notting Hill. You have Notting Hill Gate station (central, circle, distric lines), Ladbroke Grove (hammersmith & city lines), Bayswater (circle & district), Queensway (central), Holland Park (central line) and Westbourne Park (hammersmith & city) all within 5-10 mins walk of most places in Notting Hill. It only takes about 10 mins on the central line and you'll be in central London.

You have Portobello Market on your doorstep, Kensington Gardens (ajoined to Hyde Park), Holland Park.

I can't think of a better location in London. But it depends what you want to do. If you want to spend your whole time in central London doing the normal tourist things, then get an apartment in central London. But I think you will appreciated coming home to one of the nicest areas in London. Plenty of great bars and restaurants in the area and a great fruit and veg market. Ideal if you're doing any cooking at home.
Feb 1st, 2010, 02:04 AM

But this isn't Notting Hill - it's Royal Oak.
Feb 1st, 2010, 07:39 AM

W11: Wot PatrickLondon said.

Everything you say is true (well most of it is) -- IF the OP was asking about Notting Hill. But the only thing related to Notting Hill is the OPs thread title. The property is not in Notting Hill.

What you posted mostly doesn't apply to Royal Oak.
Feb 1st, 2010, 08:03 AM

W11 was referring to my post above, in which I said I stayed in Notting Hill and found the buses more convenient than the tube. Our apartment was on Courtnell Street and it was closer to the bus stops than to the tube. I walk slowly, so the tube was a less attractive option.
Feb 1st, 2010, 08:17 AM

Nikki: "W11 was referring to my post above in which I said I stayed in Notting Hill and found the buses more convenient than the tube."

I think he was addressing those of us who said this wasn't such a great place to stay . . . He posted >>Some of the above replies are a bit odd.<<
Feb 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM

I used to be stationed in Notting Hill. I hated it.
Feb 1st, 2010, 10:34 AM

For years I stayed at the Abbey Court in Notting Hill. I liked the area, public transport (bus and tube) was convenient, and I could always find some decent restaurants although they did seem to come and go with great frequency. Some years ago the Abbey Court changed owners or managenent and went downhill. Haven't been back since then. That said, I would not want to stay in Royal Oak.