Shopping in London

Search

Shopping in London

Search this Thread

Old Jan 31st, 2005, 08:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping in London

Does anyone know any stores, particularly clothing, accessories, shoes, jewlery, etc. that would be of interest to college age girls traveling to London. We are specifically looking for stores in a moderate of cheaper price range. Thanks!
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:00 PM

Yes. Both the Top Shop and H & M chain stores should fit your criteria. Locations all over London.
Old Jan 31st, 2005, 09:03 PM

I adore French Connection! Locations all over London, as well. Also in the states, however, but much cheaper in europe.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 12:38 AM

Topshop; the one in Oxford Circus is great. And H&M as mentioned. Kookai, Mango, Zara are good too, and not expensive. For accessories go to Accessorize; several branches all over London. They do great bags, scarves, hats, jewellery and are not expensive.
Portobello Road on a Saturday is fun too, if you like second hand.
Old Feb 1st, 2005, 03:18 AM

Take the Tube to Oxford Circus. As you emerge into daylight, you will be at the junction of Regent Street and Oxford Street, where you will find the flagship branches of Top Shop, H&M, Zara and Mango - all high fashion at throw away prices. This branch of Top Shop is apparently the world's largest fashion store, much loved by Madonna, Posh Spice, Gwyneth Paltrow, Kate Moss and every other bargain hungry Pop Idol, Super model and Hollywood starlet.

For shoes, take the tube to Covent Garden. Turn left out of the tube, cross the road and walk all along Neal Street. Here you will also find a large Mango, Diesel and Urban Outfitters, and on the left is an indoor mall selling mostly aussie style surfie gear.

Go to Camden and visit Camden market for more alternative hippie/gothis/retro and vintage clothing.

Have fun - you'll probably still find London expensive for clothes if you're coming from the States, but the range of choice can't be beat anywhere.

Kate
London
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 07:20 AM

Love love LOVE Topshop and Mango!!! Definitely must-sees for any stylish young thing. I'd also suggest checking out Spitalfields Market, (http://www.visitspitalfields.com/spitalfields.html) for fun market shopping.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 08:21 AM

After you have done the stores go to Camden Market - lots and lots of stuff there and much it is in the moderate/cheap range you are looking for.
Old Feb 2nd, 2005, 09:45 AM

Agree with all of these posts, and would add Kookai. Also had a ball in Lush for homemade bath and body goods, although their starting to pop up in the states. Went to the one in Covent Garden.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 07:44 AM

Don't forget to pop into a Boots and have a look at their cosmetics and health & beauty products.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 08:49 AM

The most expensive ranges (still very cheap) at TopShop will be perfect for you, they even offer a "couture" dress which is made up and fitted for you.

Zara/H&M are also very cheap, also you might like to try Selfridges - their ground floor "Miss Selfridge" area offers cheaper ranges.

You might like to look at Brown's as they do accessories/jewellery that isn't horrendously expensive and looks very attractive. Also, EC1 in Exmouth Market, Clerkenwell offers "plastic" jewellery. Have a walk along Upper St. N1, Islington for equally "trendy" shops.

I wouldn't bother with Camden unless you like jeans around your ankles (that is when they're being worn, not for other reasons) and goth/punk in a very un-Westwood way.
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 10:37 AM

You know, although I recommended H & M, am I the only one to think that their merchandise is not as good as it used to be say, 5 years ago? I remember going into Berlin's huge H & M on Ku-damm back around 4 years ago and thinking everything looked really stylish and fairly well-made. But now?, partic. here in the States? I think the inventory is just not as good, and wasn't too great in Antwerp last year either (maybe because I've been looking at end of season offerings).
Old Feb 4th, 2005, 11:01 AM

For cute shoes go to French Sole on Sloane Street. Even if you aren't able to afford the majority of stores in that area, French Sole is very reasonably priced and very cute....and the walk down the street is unforgettable.