London - shopping with teenagers

Nov 10th, 2003, 02:40 AM
Original Poster

London - shopping with teenagers

Can I get some tips of good stores for my 19 and 17 year old daughters who will be in London? Any other tips for keeping them entertained in London?
Thanks
Nov 10th, 2003, 02:55 AM

Everyone will tell you that clothes are much more expensive in London (I assume that you are from the US?) and this is true. However, two teenage girls will probably want to go shopping anyway. The Topshop in Oxford Street (Oxford Circus) might be good. Also Selfridges, Oxford Street. Harrods (on the 4th floor for teenagers), although I like Harvey Nichols better. Don't know if you have these stores at home, but I would check out Zara, and places like Jigsaw, Oasis, Mango. The Kings Road is also good; start at Sloane Square. My daughters are a bit younger, but they adore Accessorize; lots of branches around London. They sell bags, hats, scarves, jewellery etc. Great value. I buy handbags for myself there too. Finally; the market at Portobello Road on Saturday morning (and while there, check out Westbourne Grove as well for some hip shops).
Nov 10th, 2003, 04:49 AM

Hi
My two teenagers love Urban Outfitters, Kensington High Street
M
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:00 AM

Take them to Carnaby Street & Neal Street,Miss Sixty,Diesel,Birkenstock etc.........
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:06 AM

Though we have them in the U.S., how about French Connection U.K.? I went into their store on Regent St. (?), right down the street from Liberty, which has some high fashion as well.
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:07 AM

I suggest a half day in Brixton, on the Victoria Line. Chelsea, Kensington, and Oxfoirc Street have expensive shops, restaurants and cafes. The teen culture near Piccadilly Circus is a mash of music that sells well, promoted by middle aged multi-national firms. The cutting edge in music and dress is down in Brixton. For Brixton clubs there are age limits: you can buy Time Out magazine at your arrival airport and look over the field. But for the rich street scene anybody can go. Dress shops were there in plenty, especially in the covered arcade, Market Row.

Some useful websites are these

Time out magazine says what Brixton offers visitors on http://www.timeout.com/london/sight/brixton.html

Brixton Market. The Evening Standard, the daily London paper, recommends it to visitors on http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynami..._text_id=14505

Brixton Academy: http://www.brixton-academy.co.uk/: phone 7924 9999,
then 2

Bahumbug Restaurant: http://www.bahhumbug.co.uk/. In 1999 before he became our Mayor Ken Livingstone reviewed it favourably on http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynami...text_id=14505/.

The Brixton Fridge, http://www.fridge.co.uk/netscape.htm/. 7326 5100 then 121.

The Helter Skelter restaurant, 50 Atlantic Road, SW9 8JN, phone 020-7274 8600, had a favourable review in 1977, at http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/dynami...text_id=14505/, but is closed until September.

The calendar for Brixton clubs is in the weekly magazine Time Out, and also on http://icsouthlondon.ic24.com/. If you search icsouthlondon for Brixton Clubs you see them all ? but you?ll still need to phone to check age limits.

More generally, can you tell me their tastes, interests, and recent study topics in literature, history or geography that they liked ? That will let me suggest further unusual visits beyond the usual tourist round.

Welcome to London

[email protected]

Nov 10th, 2003, 05:27 AM

I would also suggest H&M- prices are low and your girl's will get more for their money. I know that there are H&M locations in the US, but not many. Tulip's suggestion for French Connection is a good one. Have fun!
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:41 AM

Top Shop has almost cult status amongst girls in London - the branch in Oxford Street (by Oxford Circus, next door to Nike Town) is apparently the largest single-brand store in the world. Top Shop sells cheap but cutting edge fashion - the clothes are'nt great quality but they're not meantr to be - they are throw-away fashion. Fans include not just teenage girls but also the likes of Madonna, Gwyneth Paltrow, Posh Spice etc who like to team designer gear up with cheap Top Shop stuff.

On the other side of Oxford Circus is H&M which is similar (but not quite as good as) Top Shop. Here you will also find Zara (a spanish fashion chain) that also sells very reasonably priced throw-away fashion.

Teenagers always love Camden Market.
Nov 10th, 2003, 05:47 AM

Lush, with more than one location in London, sells bath and beauty products that would appeal to teenagers. (I think I heard that there are some shops here in USA, but not in my area, Pgh.)
Nov 10th, 2003, 09:11 AM

There's some good suggestions here but I?m really sorry to have to disagree with Ben. The last place I would recommend going with two teenage daughters is Brixton. Brixton has tried to put it?s shady past behind it and with it?s current zero tolerance policing it has improved, but only slightly. However, it?s not a place for tourists to be wondering around - especially late at night after clubbing. Only a couple of months ago in a report by the HM Inspector of Constabulary, the area was described as "one of the most challenging policing environments in the UK, and possibly Europe".

Nov 10th, 2003, 01:32 PM

MKOne is a chain of stores that sells fashions that appeal to your daughter's ages. They're inexpensive and there's a large selection. I shopped at the one on Queensway in the Bayswater section and picked up some items with the Burberry plaid for teen girls in my family. I don't know where you live but I thought MKOne was comparable to say a Mandee's store. I also found some accessories and clothing items at the Petticoat Lane open air market, which is open only on Sunday from 9-1 if I remember correctly.
Nov 11th, 2003, 07:51 AM

Aha, I thought I might draw a reply, and Mr London has obliged. What the police do not like are the after dark drug dealers. These do indeed raise a policing problem, but they have no bearing on daytime shoppers. Even after dark, plenty of clubbers go to Brixton and back and keep off drugs. The next intervention is likely to come from somebody who says that Brixton has undesirable people, by which they mean (but do not say) black people.

Ben Haines, London
Nov 11th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Mr Haines!

I fail to see your reasoning here - the joys of taking two teenagers shopping/clubbing in Brixton are beyond me! Without doubt Brixton has a very high level of street crime ? in fact the highest in London, they occur both during the day and night. Although something that we both agree on is that it?s worse at night. Put simply your chance of getting robbed are higher in Brixton than any other borough in London. Of course Brixton is vibrant, ethnically fascinating and diverse, it is also socially deprived. I do not know Judy?s background but recommending that tourists who are not familiar with London and who may not be street wise go to Brixton is questionable ? recommending that her 17 and 19 year old daughters, who may not even be able to buy alcohol at home, go clubbing in Brixton is just plain daft. Unfortunately, I couldn?t get the first couple of web links you proffered to work, I was curious to see how Brixton was being marketed, but I reproduce below parts of another article about a night out in Brixton from one of the websites you recommend:

?"You wanna taste my knife, boy? I'll open you up, boy." One moment we are standing in Coldharbour Lane, Brixton, peacefully minding our own business outside a trendy nightclub called the Living Room, the next a crazed crack dealer has pinned my friend Robert against the railing and is threatening to stab him. "I'll cut you the Colombian way. I'll open you up from head to foot, boy," he spits, illustrating his words with a dramatic slicing motion. "You think I afraid to kill you? I done 15 years for manslaughter. I'll shish kebab you boy."

It is not for nothing that Coldharbour Lane has a reputation as the most dangerous street in the most dangerous borough of London. Lambeth's crime figures - 29,641 reported last year - exceed those of the next highest borough, Southwark, by a whopping 33 per cent, and are around 50 per cent higher than the other usual suspects: Hackney, Camden, Haringey and Islington. Research has shown that more than half of these crimes are drugfuelled, and there is no street more impacted by class-A drug dealers, Lambeth police say, than Coldharbour Lane. The full article is at:
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/l...ing%20Standard