Search

London Shopping

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12th, 2008, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
London Shopping

Hello, I am going with some girlfriends in June/July to London. We are looking to do well with sales and hope to find some good quality clothes (doesn't have to be designer just quality classic styles) at good prices. Any ideas about ideal locations for accomodations, shopping and sales ideas etc.We are around 40 and want to stay in a clean central hotel around $200 to $300 a night per person. Thanks so much for any of your sugestions. Kelly
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:02 AM
jay

Use Priceline for the hotel. I just got a 4* for 97 US per night. There is shopping all over London. There are sales all over. I would recommend Kensington or Knightsbridge. Also go to the Camden Market, it is a trip and there is an Aldo shoe outlet there.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:10 AM

We lived near London for 3 years - my favorite places to go with my girlfriends was Oxford Street. There is a wonderful hotel, the Mayfair Holiday Inn, I believe, just off Grosvenor Square near the US Embassy. It is about a block from Oxford street. I don't remember the prices, but one thing you should know is that it is difficult to get a room for 4 in Europe. We managed to get one room for 3, but with four of us had to move up to two rooms. On Oxford street you will find a very large H&M, Liberty (which is a beautiful store to not miss anyway), Daniels.. all the big chains. Plus there is a lot to see on the streets. It is very crowded all the time so don't let that put you off. Have fun and watch out for pickpockets..
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Wow, Thanks so much for the great advice jay and tlangenbach.Do you know when approx the summer sales start? June or July?We will be there for a week and some are considering going to Paris. Is it worth it?
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Yes, Oxford Street is the place for your shopping, but, just for the fun of it, spare some time to walk along King's Road (from Sloane Square). Lots of designer stores and interesting people watching (model-like girls). You'll probably want to look in at Harrod's also.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 09:16 AM

I loved walking along Kings Road. There were some great little shops, some good lunch places, and it was a lot less frantic than Oxford St. Having said that don't SKIP Oxford St., it's just that Kings Road is a nice change of pace.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Actually, Liberty of London isn't on Oxford Street. It is quite close, though, on Great Marlborough. Harrods and Harvey Nichols are close together in Knightsbridge.

If any of you have teenage daughters, check out Top Shop on Oxford, and within close walking distance there is a Richoux tea shop on South Audley that you might enjoy.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 11:50 AM

Another thought. In that area, just around Oxford street are lots of interesting restaurants that are quick and not too expensive as well. On our ladies trips to London we enjoyed Wagamama, a japanese fast foodish kind of place that sits you all down together. food is reasonable, hot and really good (if you like japanase noodles). Another favorite with my daughter's friends is Yo! Sushi, which is near the oxford street shops. Interesting place, you pick the foods you want off the conveyor belt and just pay when you are done. Good Luck.
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 12:22 PM

I also like King's Road (a bit high end), but fun! We're actually staying in this area for our next trip and I've been having fun with this site: http://www.streetsensation.co.uk/kingsrd/kr_01.htm

I also liked Whitely's mall and found some surprisingly good deals on clothes: http://www.whiteleys.com/
Old Jan 12th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Whilst it varies slightly by year, London sales usually starts the first week of July. Paris sales (solde) overlaps mostly--it is done in three phases with gradually deeper discounts (though the good items may be gone in early phases).

Clothing--difficult to recommend, as I do almost all shopping in US or HK. If you want "classic" style, Next is a chain with many stores. M&S is not that fashionable, but their separate "Per Una" brand may carry nice items.

I must say I'm not a fan of Wagamama or Yo Sushi at all. Both places offer rather sub-standard fares. Behind Oxford St is St Christopher's Place, and there are so many more pleasant restaurants/cafes. Marylebone High St is also close by (10min walk up north) with nice shops and restaurants.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 06:21 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for all the great advice. I will try priceline Jay..sounds too good to pass up. Also do you think we should try to go to Paris as well or stick with London for the week. I have been to both cities a few times and done lots of touristy things..this is the first trip where I can afford to shop as well.I know we will also do site seeing as well,however we all want a few fasionable items. Thanks again..I'll keep reading your responses...Kelly
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 06:28 AM

I would stay in London for sure simply because there is so much to and I (personally - please don't flame me!) find it a more accessible city than Paris. I don't think you can ever run out of things to do and see in London. And you can always take some short day trips out of the city to see/do/shop for different things.
Old Jan 13th, 2008, 01:22 PM

Actually you can do a day-trip to Paris on Eurostar. (Though admitedly it would be a long day). The trik is to book Eurostar tickets as early as possible.

In terms of pure shopping, London and Paris have different style, as well as merchandise on offer. Also you'll get better price on some items (eg french hair accessaries or scented candles).
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:29 AM

Do you actually all want to share a room ? My assumption would be that 4 ladies would require 4 single rooms. Anyway, with a budget of £100-150 pp you should have a reasonable choice of midrange hotels. Try the Thistle Selfridge which has a great location for shopping - it's part of the same building as Selfridge's department store (also a good place to shop & on the opposite corner from the biggest Marks & Spencer). The store is on Oxford Street, the hotel is behind it.
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 03:51 AM

4 women, one bathroom - not a good way to keep friends

At the very least I would have thought 2 rooms would be a better just in case one of you decides to have time off and doesn't want to be disturbed
Old Jan 14th, 2008, 05:42 AM

I think you could easily rent a two bedroom flat for the week for your budget.

I'm using London Guest Suites for my upcoming trip. We're getting a two bedroom/two bath for the week for approx $2000 in the Sloane Square area. On my previous trip I stayed with my 2 girlfriends in a 2 bedroom flat in Notting Hill (Farnum and Christ was the agency we used) and it was an amazing vacation. It's a great way to see the city for a week.

Old Jan 14th, 2008, 06:10 AM

But since you can afford it, wouldn't you rather each have your own room & own bathroom in a hotel ? I know I would.
Old Jan 15th, 2008, 04:04 PM

Use priceline and have a bit of extra cash for shopping! I've just booked a 4* for $98 per night - very pleased too.