london with 18 year old niece

Mar 8th, 2019, 01:29 PM
Lpk
Original Poster

london with 18 year old niece

Four days in London with my 18 year old niece. This is my graduation gift to her

Need some help with more trendy things to do

also she is a shopaholic and I am not so really need some help here

thanks so much
Mar 8th, 2019, 01:43 PM

Oxford Street is the main shopping drag - especially check out the old department stores along it and many boutiques. Of course Harrods would be great too but there are shopping areas all over central London.

Check out the 2 for 1 entry scheme that could save you lots of pounds on entry fees - all you need is a rail ticket to London and you can buy at London stations a ticket to anywhere - say a few pound ticket from one station to another and use it for half-off the full time in London - at places Like Tower of London, Hampton Court Palace (English Versailles -short train trip from London) and just about any paying sights. (Museums are largely free!). V&A and British Museums are musts IMO.

There is a London Pass but everyone says a terrible deal - just us Oyster Card for tube and buses and 2 for 1 entry.

Camden Market used to be trendy maybe still is - weekends - lively area - Portobello Market is another neat London market - selling things like you'd find in a Flea Market (not mainly food markets).

Well that is a general take - folks much more knowledgeable than I on current 'trendy' things - like King's Row in Chelsea was years ago but not sure now.
Mar 8th, 2019, 02:44 PM

What kind of shopping? And forget Oxford Street: tourists and chain stores and tacky souvenirs.
Mar 8th, 2019, 02:51 PM

What about the main department stores on Oggsford Street? Always thought they were a treat! Selfridges especially - a landmark.

https://www.theguardian.com/technolo...ccine-hoax-ads

Still called London's favorite shopping street - but yes a lot of tourist shops which is of course good for things tourists may like.
Mar 8th, 2019, 05:44 PM

Pal. - when was the last time you were on Oxford Street? Certainly not this century if ever. (and I don't get why you persist in calling the city and the street Oggsford - an attempt at humour perhaps)

It is not all tourist shops and tack -- but it IS extremely crowded and not a comfortable place to wander. This is very typical

Lpk: What sorts of things does she like to shop for? Department stores, high end/posh boutiques, 'name' designers, vintage, street markets, mass market retail (like H&M and such), jewelry . . . or?
Mar 8th, 2019, 10:59 PM

Crowded or not, for a shopaholic Selfridges is not to be missed. Go first thing in the morning when it opens, on a weekday. It's fine.
Having shopped with teenagers in London: they do want to go to Oxford Street. It's not tacky, there are lots of shops where young people want to go.

What I would do for an 18-year old is book a personal shopper at Topshop. This is a free service. They will get together a few looks for her to try in a private dressing room. There is no obligation to buy anything. Topshop Oxford Circus is a big store with lots of stuff, it's not expensive.
I did this for my nieces and they loved it. They are super friendly, and will not pressure you into spending lots of money. You could make this into half a day for her, with hair/make-up, which they do instore as well. And you can go and do something else!

If she's into second hand clothes: Portobello Road on Saturday, the covered area under the Westway, and further on in Golborne Road there's top vintage store Rellik.
Or go to Spitalfields; there's often a market there (check the calender), and further on in Brick Lane, Box Park and Redchurch Street.
Mar 9th, 2019, 12:10 AM

Just some ideas but may not be what she is after (probably not trendy as I am too old for that ):

Cath Kidston - pretty, vintage style prints, very girly - there is a large store on Piccadilly
Waterstones - also on Piccadilly (6 floors of books with comfy seats and cafes)
Afternoon tea somewhere beautiful https://afternoontea.co.uk/

Kay
Mar 9th, 2019, 02:27 AM

Sketch is a very cool place for afternoon tea or drinks. One of the most 'instagrammable' places in London.
Mar 9th, 2019, 02:33 AM

Or Selfridges new Brasserie of Light, they also do an afternoon tea. Always book in advance, also for Sketch. These places are popular.
Mar 9th, 2019, 05:10 AM

Suggest browsing this: https://www.timeout.com/london/shopp...hops-in-london

Nice to see my choice, Liberty's, as one of the five top shopping experiences in London,
Mar 9th, 2019, 06:36 AM

Tulips, what a wonderful suggestion! I wish that had been an option when I took my 18 year old neice for her high school graduation! I'm trying to think of what she really enjoyed and am coming up with the Tower of London, Hampton Court, an afternoon tea, the Eye and having cocktails with me in our hotel bar.
Mar 9th, 2019, 06:59 AM

Belinda, those sound like great ideas. Another place she might enjoy is the Victoria & Albert Museum, especially the Fashion Collection, and the theatre costume collection. And I would try to make time for a stroll in one of the Royal parks. I particularly like Green Park, but they're all great.

I also would probably want to include Westminster Abbey, but you know best what would appeal to your niece.
Mar 9th, 2019, 07:04 AM

The V&A is great; if the Dior exhibition is still on while you're there, get tickets now! The jewellery section is pretty amazing too.

I don't know if the OP is American, but going into smart bars for a drink would be unusual for an 18-year old American. You can keep it non-alcoholic if you wish.
What I really love is going to Live at Zedel for a show, followed by a drink in the American bar there, or dinner at Brasserie Zedel. Don't know if the cabaret-style performance would be of interest, but it's a fabulous venue.
Mar 9th, 2019, 07:19 AM

>>The V&A is great; if the Dior exhibition is still on while you're there, get tickets now<<

The Dior is almost entirely sold out for the run. Joining the V&A would get you access without having to book.
Mar 9th, 2019, 08:21 AM

Pal. - when was the last time you were on Oxford Street?>

does it matter? It is the main shopping street in London - what bout it that I said is wrong - total changeover in the 7 years since Iast visited? Your criticism of me adds little to OP's request. Trying to be helpful to OP and get slammed as usual by you. What about my post is wrong -good tips I think.
Mar 9th, 2019, 09:26 AM

I would not describe it as the "main shopping street". A main tourist destination, yes. A very annoying traffic jam, yes (even the congestion charge hasn't helped). Worth seeing for the Christmas lights, probably. Worth braving the crowds for a couple of specific shops, possibly. But London is full of excellent shopping ops - see the Time Out link I posted.
Mar 9th, 2019, 09:31 AM

Oxford Street is the most popular shopping street in Europe - much more than a main tourist destination lots of locals shop there - it is not a must sight IMO but for shopping again the most popular in Europe. Pictures of crowds Janis posted are no doubt Saturdays when locals have time to shop - week days much less.
Mar 9th, 2019, 09:37 AM

lots of locals shop there
Proof? When I lived in London the only time I went near Oxford Street was right before Christmas. I'll ask my niece, who has lived in London for the last ten years, but I'll be surprised if she shops there either. No reason to.
Mar 9th, 2019, 09:43 AM

You are saying that the throngs in Janis' post are all tourists? And Fodor's UK expert, janis, says: It is not all tourist shops and tack --I guess you dispute that? Certainly Selfridges attracts many locals I would think.
Mar 9th, 2019, 10:22 AM

We were in London last December and remember the crowds on Oxford street even during the weekday but I preferred shopping in the Seven Dials, Covent Garden and Carnaby areas. Stores of recognized brands plus others that may appeal to a your niece.
Selfridges was a sight to see, almost overwhelming. I'm more of a Primark and Marks and Spencer gal. ��

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO