Shopping for leather

Search

Shopping for leather

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10th, 2003, 01:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for leather

I will be in Instanbul Aug-Sept 2003 and am looking to customize a leather coat or two. I was in Istanbul and Kusadasi 2-1/2 years ago and was sorry I did not purchase leather then. They have the best in the world, including Italy, offering a wide variety of style and color. I know a number of the shops will make the coats to your specification in around a 3-day time frame. Can anyone recommend a shop?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 02:34 PM

Dear DeirdreKay

There are many leather shops in the grand pazaar BUT THEIR RENT FEE is very hight that's why I don't recommend you to buy from there and also may tourist going to the grand bazaar because they've been told that grand bazaar is very cheap.

While you are travelling in Turkey you can find many shops especially in kusadasi the price very reasonable I can say that better then Istanbul if you have a car there are 2 big shops between Kusadasi and Selcuk visit them get the price and MAKE BARGAIN %40 would be great. There are some out side of Selcuk the way to Aydin. I am sure you can get 2 leathers in Kusadasi or Selcuk area instead of 1 in Istanbul.

I also recommend you buy your KILIM OR CARPET SAME AREA rather then Grand Bazaar. I don't give any name because you have to go everyeach of them then you will decide your self. If you are in the area (Kusadasi)between Julay and September you can e-mail me I can help you for your shopping.

Have a nice shopping in Turkey
Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 04:31 PM
Original Poster

Sinan,
Thank you so much for your reply. At this moment, I'm not sure if I'll be traveling down to Kusadasi on this trip. I had not planned on renting a car, but that is a possibility. What is the drive time to Kusadasi? Last time I went by way of bus.

If I don't make it south of Istanbul, would it be better to shop outide of the Sultanahmet area?
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Dear DeirdreKay

You are asking the righ place Sultanahmet where the tourist are. You will find every kind of sales men in here sorry I don't recommend you buy anything from this place to. I don't know where you live but I am living in New York and there are big difference between the place where I live and the tourist area. I can buy a hot dog for $1 but in the touristic area they are selling $ 2.5. It's up to you.

From Istanbul to Kusadasi takes 6-8 hours by bus. If you drive yourself you may count 8 to 9 hours because wont be less then bus drive because you don't know the road you have to stop many times to check map where you are how you go on the way to Kusadasi If you want you can use bus againg.

Sinan Akdeniz
[email protected]
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 10:55 PM

Dear DeirdreKay,

For leather coat Laleli(the most popular shopping area for russian wholesalers) and Zeytinburnu are the right places.You don't need to bargain in most of the shops but take the receipt for 'tax-free'.Orjin and Derimod are the good ones.Derimod has an outlet in Maslak area.(Across the Ishik University )You can find shoes, jackets, bags for reasonable prices.
THere are also some shop of the ebs labels in shopping malls like AKMARKEZ,GALLERIA..etc
Old Jun 16th, 2003, 11:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both Sinan and banu