best place to buy gold jewelry in turkey

Apr 17th, 2007, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

best place to buy gold jewelry in turkey

reposting-i think my original post got swept away in the black hole. what's a good place in turkey, in terms of price and quality, to buy gold jewelry. i have a co worker who went to turkey and bought some jewelry and they were beautiful! the workmanship was outstanding. nothing like i've seen here in US.
Apr 18th, 2007, 08:51 AM

I don't know of anywhere more specific than the bazaars. You may need to get the name of the shop from your friend.

Are you looking for something specific, or just browsing?
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Original Poster

Femi, thanks for your response. i'm not looking for anything specific, just browsing and maybe buy a piece or two, maybe a bangle or earrings. when you say bazaars, are you referring to the Grand Bazaar? also, are there any jewelry vendors in the spice market? thanks again.
Apr 19th, 2007, 08:37 AM

I bought a gold pendant as a gift from a shop in the grand bazaar, I don't remember seeing any shops that sell gold in the Arasta bazaar. I *think* you can find gold at the spice bazaar but can't really remember.

I'm not a serious shopper, but for casual items I think you'll be spoilt for choice at the grand bazaar. I also think that having so many competitors in the same area gives you an advantage. If you don't like the terms one merchant has to offer, just move on. That is hard to do in those single, stand alone shops.

Looking at my copy of 'Treasures and pleasures' of Turkey, they recommend jewellers caled Gilan and Sait Koc in the Akmerkex shopping mall in Etiler. I've never been there personally. They sound like places that cater to the higher end consumer.

Hope this helps, and Bon Voyage!
Apr 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM

I was in Istanbul in early Decemeber. I am obsessed with jewelry and had heard that gold was a bit cheaper because the labor is less expensive in Turkey. I admit there were manyyyy pieces I wanted to buy, but there was no price difference. In fact, in some cases, it was more expensive than in the States. Suffice it to say I have expensive taste, but I still kind of felt like I was being taken advantage of. There are plenty jewelry shops in the Mýsýr Çarþýsý (Spice or Egyptian Bazaar), but be careful: I was looking specifically for gemstone rings. One man showed me a hideous crystalesque ring trying to sell it as an aquamarine. You have to know stuff- they can be tricky. No jewelry shops in the Arista Bazaar (by the Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia). Numberous jewelry shops in the Grand Bazaar, but again, I didn't feel like I was being given a fair price. My Turkish friends say it is always better to shop outside of the bazaars because of that. However, if you happen to have a Turkish friends, ask them to shop with you: you will most definitely be given a fair price.
Apr 19th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

amanda, thanks for your response. it's good to know another jewelry obsessed person. whenever we go somewhere esp outside the US, i always buy some keepsake jewelry to remember the trip by. in prague, i bought some garnet jewelry, paris a gold charm of the eiffel tower, florence 18K gold pendant with Jesus Christ on one side and the Virgin Mary on the other side what had been your precious finds? btw, if we indeed go to greece and turkey, my friend tells me there's some very nice jewelry in greece-expensive but excellent workmanship.
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Jewelry is such a great souveneir. You're not wasting money on little trinkets- your keepsake is an investment! Well, as a college student, my funds are quite limited. However, I splurged when I was in London. I studied abroad last sememster. One weekend we traveled to Bath and I was hellbent on finding an antique jewelry store. I purchased a ring from 1910, most likely an engagement ring. Platinum and 18K gold with 1/2 carat nearly perfect diamond and amazing filigree. It made quite a dent in my bank account, but I got a great deal. And wear it everyday! I traveled extensively over the 4 mon. I was in London, which meant no time to replish the funds. Sadly, that was my only jewelry purchase. But I'm living in Istanbul this summer, so hopefully I can find something on the second try!

When are you thinking about traveling to Greece and Turkey?
Apr 19th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Original Poster

amanda, we're thinking sometime in October of this year. still in the early planning stage. we might spend 3 days in greece and then 7-8 days in turkey. once you're situated in istanbul, please post some of your great jewelry finds, name of the store wouldn't hurt either. thanks.