Search

Istanbul

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2nd, 2004, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Istanbul

I will be traveling to Istanbul and Ankara on a business trip the end of September. I would like to know what items I should purchase there as I won't have much time to shop. First time in Turkey, so any other advice would be appreciated.
Old Sep 3rd, 2004, 04:19 AM
sandi

It would be easy to say to buy a carpet, but if you don't have time and don't know what to look for, questions to ask - pass on that.

Leather goods can be found, but you need the time to shop carefully.

If you are a women, I would definitely suggest you visit the Vakko Store - a department store with branches throughout Turkey (in IST on Istlakal [sp]). Vakko is known for quality leather goods, but the best they have to offer are their scarves. Silk, in all shapes and sizes, hand painted, many with good threading woven thru, amazing colors - better then any designer (Hermes) scarves we've seen or own - prices are right (one of the many I bought, a 54" square cost $80)and these are easy enough to pack and don't take up much room in your suitcases - for yourself or as gifts. You will not see these on anyone else, as Vakko is Turkey based with few stores, if any, outside the country. Neiman Marcus (needless mark-ups) in the States used to carry these, but no longer.

Whatever free time you have definitely see the Topkapi Museum including the Harem rooms; the Grand Bazaar for spices and leather goods and gold; cocktails at the Kempinski Cirgan hotel along the Bosphorus. In Ankara visit the Museum of Anatolian Civilization, voted best small museum in Europe and the memorial to Ataturk.

Enjoy your trip.

Old Sep 13th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

THANK YOU FOR THE INFORMATION.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 01:59 PM

Some random ideas:

1. See Blue Mosque and Aya Sofia. These are obvious.
2. Shop at the Grand Bazaar.
3. Go to a seafood restaurant on the shores of the Bosphorous Strait.
4. Other great restaurants can be found around Taksim Square.
5. Walk around the area near the Spice Market.
6. Take the ferry from the Black Sea back down to Istanbul.
NOTE: most of these things can be done thru a daylong tour and these are highly recommended.
Turkey is also known for its cymbals (drums) so maybe you could pick up a nice splash cymbal.
Best piece of advice.... don't drive a car there.
Old Sep 15th, 2004, 02:16 PM

I agree with sandi and roman, and with Richard Nixon who said that Istanbul is the most fascinating city on the planet, or something to that effect. He had it right once in a while.

My advice for the Bazaar: Whether you know the product quality or not, if you like an item offer about 1/3 of the asking price. Start negotiating and you'll learn the "price to go" in an hour or so with different vendors, while you are having fun at the game. Buy a carpet you can stuff in your checked luggage, a leather item to take on the plane, and anything else that hits your fancy.
Old Sep 18th, 2004, 05:29 AM

You can buy a nice mansion overlooking to Bosphorus wont take much of your time once you sign the contract
Just joking but why not.

Have fun in Turkey, seems you got all the best information from other posters. However having said that ;
In Ankara ther is a new shopping mall where most fancy shops are having base called Armada and Akmerkez in istanbul might be a good idea for shopping without loosing a lot of time. Also if you have time while in Ankara even for 1 night try to go to Cappadocia. Its worth to see even short.

Regards and have fun

Murat