Search

Shopping for a Handbag

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 09:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shopping for a Handbag

Greetings,
We will be going to Paris in a couple of weeks. We will be staying in the 6th arrondisement. Where is a good place to buy a nice handbag? Any good recommendations?
Thanks in advance to all you Francophiles.
Evelyn
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:22 AM

Oh egoodwin, I get a thrill just telling you about shopping for a handbag/handbags in Paris, imagine what I am like THERE!
We stay in the 6th also, there is a Longchamp store near the Blvd St Germain, cannot remember the street.
You can also buy them in Galleries Lafayette, where you will have a choice of Gucci, Prada, and of course, Louis V!
I prefer buying French when in France, but you never know when you might want a little of each country
There is a small street that leads you to the Luxembourg Gardens, from the Blvd St Germain, there is a Lancel store there and small boutiques where you can find really nice leather bags that you won't be seeing in the US, or at least not for that price!
Have a lovely time and I hope someone else has a better memory than I today and can supply some street names!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:31 AM

Go to www.herve-chapelier.com if you like the look of the trendy nylon canvas bags. I have three, and I generally carry them in the spring/summer. There are lots of Herve Chapelier boutiques in Paris, one at rue du Vieux Colombier in the 6th. Regardless of whether you want to buy one of this type, the different colors/combinations/styles are fun to look at. Spent more time in that store last trip than I'd like to admit! And you can get detaxe, if you spend enough; just make sure to have them give you the paperwork.

On the same street is a Longchamps store, which, of course, has both the more traditional leather bags and canvas bags also.

The dept. stores will have large handbag departments where you can purchase many different brands.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:32 AM
ira

>...there is a Lancel store on a small street that leads you to the Luxembourg Gardens, from the Blvd St Germain...<

I belive that you are referring to the store at 43 Rue de Rennes. Right across the street from the St-Germain-des-pres metro stop.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:40 AM

ira, you are SO Cool
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:47 AM
ira

Thank you Scarlett, but my secret is simple.

I use http://pagesjaunes.voila.fr.

Just enter the name of a commercial establishment or an address and you get a description, a map and a picture.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes
Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes Hermes AND......Hermes!
24, Faubourg Saint-Honoré
75008 Paris
Tel. + 33 (0)1 40 17 47 17

Whatever you do have a great trip and happy shopping!
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 12:27 PM

Ditto
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 02:26 PM

egoodwin-
IF you are anywhere near the Rue Fauborg St Honore and the Ritz plaza==there is a FABULOUS leather handbay store on the left hand of the street on Rue Fauborg on the way to the Louvre...

I cannot remember the name of it, but it ALWAYS has sales, the leather is awesome,unusual,colorful and very very different....An oriental lady owns it and is sooooooooooooo nice...

MY sis went there over Xmas with just the directions that I gave you and she walked away with 6 fabulous handbags..
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 02:50 PM
axm

I have been to that store on Rue Fauborg St Honore and it has the coolest purses at the best prices. I go there every time I am in Paris.

Take the metro to the Opera stop, walk down Rue de Opera (there is a great drug store with good prices along the way on Rue de Opera where I get soap and cosmetics) and take a right onto Rue Fauborg. The store is a few blocks down on the right. There are tons of purses in the window. You can't miss it.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 04:17 PM

Great Louis Vuitton Boutique on Rue Benoit , no lines and great service. Doesn;t carry the full but can get you a pass into the other stores without waiying in their lines.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Thank you to Scarlett, Grandmere, ira, Katherine, calamari,andy,axmand mrsbu.
I am now ready to shop.
Take care.
Egoodwin
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 01:36 PM

People are Asian. Oriental refers to furniture, objet d'art.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 06:44 PM

Honey, it is time for your pill.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
He is correct but really, no need to correct on this thread because it's so superficial but fun when not much traffic here.
Where is one of my favs?Didier Lamarthe?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:05 PM

You came late to this party so we saved one of the best for last.
BTW, Thin wants to know what handbags we are all carrying?
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 07:28 PM

right now, I'm carrying Martha Stewart's gardening bag, I has my initial, and my favorete olive green color and filling it with slugs I have just impaled and will have aa burial elsewhere. How many have any other exciting bags.
My fav was a neighbor who was very old and had a bag of fine quality leather that was a bit worn. She used this bag to put her dogs turds in when she walked her pup. There were a few kids on bikes that took advandage of these elderly ladies', and riding their bikes, would snatch their handbags.
She became the target one day, and later we laughed imagining his face when he opened er bag.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:27 PM

cigale
You are too funny. LOL! Can't think of a bag story at the mo.

I think Scarlett has left for a trip, but she would love this post!
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:49 PM

no, she's here I saw her earlier. This is not her type of bag,,lol
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 10:56 PM

I am on an Arcadia bag kick at the moment. They are Italian and you can peek at them here:
www.arcadiabags.it

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -