Shopping - Athens, Rome, Paris & Istanbul

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I am women in her early 30's living in Brooklyn, NY. I will be travelling to Athens, Rome, Paris & Istanbul this fall and I would like to pick up a something special and unique in each city. 1 clothing/accessory item and 1 item for the home. I would like to spend $25 to $75 on each item but willing to spend a little more for something really special. I was thinking of getting Greek sandals from Stavros Melissinos in Athens and Turkish towels from Jennifer's Hamam in Istanbul. Any recommendations?!

Thanks!

Safe travels everyone!!
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 01:50 PM

I'll be honest, $25 doesn't go far in Paris, mostly stuff from street vendors. And if you want something special, I think you should buy something that you like and catches your eye, not something someone tells you to buy.

If you like jewelry, I like the shop Nereides in St Germain and Satellit, also, for something a bit different. Not sure what you can get for that budget outside of sale season.
http://www.lesnereides.com/en
http://en.satelliteparis-boutique.com/

Or you could buy some small Limoges thingie, there is a good shop for those on the rue de Rivoli, Marechal which also has some other gift ideas. It's mentioned on this webpage, doesn't seem to have its own, and these aren't bad ideas, anyway
http://girlsguidetoparis.com/parisia...-your-luggage/

Or just the big dept stores like BHV, it has good housewares. Or try http://www.e-dehillerin.fr/
Or just go to Hediard or some fancy food shop around the Madeleine and get something.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 05:51 PM

I got wonderful leather gloves at a little shop off the Spanish Steps in Rome. They were probably more than $75 but so soft and they have every color imaginable! I also love my hot pink wallet from Furla.

In Paris, I still regret not getting these cute votive candle holders that said "le bonheur". I love the set of champagne flutes we got at Maison de Famille. I always get a crock of dijon mustard at Maille across from the Madeleine. I love the mustard and lock the crocks they come in.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 07:46 PM

I loved Jennifer's Hammam in Istanbul and totally love the towels I brought back 3 years ago. Keep your eyes open while in Athens- I found a bracelet I love with coral hearts set in beveled silver which probably cost me @ $75. Also brought back lots of sponges from Athens and wish I'd bought more (they do wear out..,). In Rome I have found fabulous handbags. I second the suggestion to bring back mustard from Maille in Paris- love that little shop and my ceramic mustard pot. I also have brought back blue ceramic yogurt pots from Paris (dumped the yogurt and kept the pot) for maybe $2.50? Keep yr eyes open and you may find some fabulous finds! I have found darling leather bracelets on l'Isle St. Louis for @ $25, and of course Longchamps bags which I use constantly for $75 in France (check at the Longchamps store at CDW before you fly out).
Mostly I suggest just keeping your eyes open for things that "speak" to you. I love all the things I've brought back from my travels and many of them were totally unplanned, spontaneous purchases.
Old Jul 24th, 2015, 09:26 PM

When I go abroad and I want to bring a gift for someone's home from Greece, I usually look around either for those cockerel wine carafes that were very popular on Greek houses till a few years ago, either for crockery decorated with olive themes. There are many imported cheap, bad quality immitations around but the real thing is usually a piece of art, hand made and glazed and can last for years, even used on the dishwasher. This crockery may be plates or wine carafes or bowls or salt and pepper sets or napkin holders or oil bottles or whatever.
Some shops offer the real deal on Athens although I can not remember where I find them last time.

Here is the facebook page of Chatzigiannis, a family company producing those products on Achaia region outside Patras and distribiting in shops all over Greece and abroad. If you scroll half way through the page and a bit lower, you may see a couple of the olive themed items. They actually do not put lots of samples online exactly because people tend to copy their work. I love their new collections, themed with olive and pomegrande too (no sample on this link though...)
https://www.facebook.com/AchaiaCeram...=page_internal
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 01:51 AM

The Benaki Museum in Athens has an amazing shop that offers
high quality gifts. I am sure you will find something there at your budget.
Here is the link to the shop : http://benakishop.gr/en/
Old Jul 25th, 2015, 03:37 AM

In Istanbul, stroll through the bazaar. If you can't find something there it doesn't exist. For entertainment, I suggest going to the carpet section and looking at the silk on silk rugs. They stunning and of museum quality. I know you won't be able to afford them on your budget, but it is a fun experience. The jewelry section is quite nice as well. There you will have a little more sway because you can haggle over the price. If immersion in a culture is what you are looking for, then haggling is the best way to do it.
Old Jul 27th, 2015, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Wow! So many great ideas! Thank you all!!!