Shop online for travel gear?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5th, 2003, 06:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend and I are planning a trip to Prague, and it's our first time out of the US. We are considering buying our travel gear, such as luggage tags, passport holders, and other travel accessories (we already have luggage) online vs. at a local store. Has anyone purchased these items online before? If so, where?
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 06:41 PM

Not sure why you'd purchase online if you can buy it locally. I prefer to actually see and hold and look at what I'm buying. If I can't buy something locally, I've been happy with Travelsmith.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 08:55 PM

The online products aren't any better than the ones at your local store.
Old Dec 5th, 2003, 09:05 PM

Travelsmith and Magellans are both reputable online merchants.

I like to support my local merchants, but if you don't have a local merchant, it's easier to shop online than to drive hundreds of miles to the nearest city.

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip.
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Online or in person, most of that stuff is standard. Brookstone has nice stuff, though pricey. I wouldn't go overboard with fancy tags, etc. Passport control will be taking off the holder when they stamp it, etc. Magellan is a company with a website, if I remember correctly. I assume Brookstone has a site, as well.

Read the Prague Post online, before you go. www.praguepost.com News, travel tips, cultural info, etc. Prague is awesome. Good choice! Have a blast!
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 08:42 AM
ed

Strangely Staples has a good selection of the incidentals that you mentioned - luggage tags etc and at a good price,
Have a great trip !!:-B
Old Dec 6th, 2003, 01:21 PM

You must be excited to be going to Prague. It's a wonderful city. The other posters are right you can buy all that little stuff at almost any store. You can even buy tags at your local pet store, the tags that dogs wear work just as well for luggage.
Buy yourself a good book on Prague. My friend and I liked PragueWalks by Ivana Edwards.
The first time I went to Prague, I didn't understand that many of the public toilets were pay facilities. People actually have little offices set up in an area that divides the men and women's. One day a man walked up to me, holding out his hand and saying something in Czech. I didn't know what he wanted, after all it was the women's restroom so I drew myself up to full height and started yelling at him to leave me alone. He left and my friend, who was in line behind me was bewildered and said, "gee what's wrong? He only wanted 3 kr that's only a quarter."
By the time he came back, with a huge man in tow, I had my money out, and an embarrassed apology on my lips. It's too bad though that I hadn't learned how to say, "I'm very sorry. I feel like an idiot," in Czech.
Old Dec 8th, 2003, 05:19 AM

I shop REI.com all the time for travel gear.
Old Dec 9th, 2003, 05:35 PM

I bought a laundry kit for my hubby from Travelsmith. It was very useful, a braided rubber band kinda thing. You didn't need clothes pins, just fit them in the braids. Came with soap etc, but the braided clothes line is pretty cool! Many a sock (or quick drying unmentionables) dried on that line.

Danna