Sheraton Roma (Airport) - Eats

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will staying for one night at the Sheraton Roma by the airport.

Can anyone suggest a good place (casual) to eat? Also, we don't speak Italian...

Thanks.
Old Sep 15th, 2006, 03:52 PM

Hi dssxxxx,
We're staying at the same hotel the middle of Oct. I would like to hear the answer to this question as well. Posts I've read on TripAdvisor said there aren't many restaurants or shopping close to the Sheraton.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 03:42 AM
Original Poster

Well, if no one has any recommendations, then can anyone tells us if the food is OK in the hotel?

Thanks.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 04:18 AM

I stayed at the Sheraton Roma and there is not a lot around the hotel, so plan for a car or use the hotel van (drops/picks guests at Piazza Venezia every hour) to go in/out Old Rome.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 04:31 AM

BYthe way, I should elaborate about my statement "plan for a car". Don't even consider driving into Old Rome. A car would be benefitial if planning day trips such as Pompeii, and/or heading out. If you are only staying a night, I would venture the van/taxi from the hotel and have reservations made at a restaurant. There are hundreds of recs for Rome restaurants already posted, pick one.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:56 AM

The food at the Sheraton is horrible. In addition the service is just as bad.

We were there in April. The shuttle only runs every two hours. If it is full, you are out of luck. They do not allow any standing.

We got stuck in a rain storm in Rome and tried to get on the bus to get back to the hotel. Standing room only and the driver would not move until the extra passengers got off.

We ended waiting for a taxi in the rain for over an hour. When we arrived back at the hotel we changed, went to eat at the hotel restaurahnt and were very very disappointed. Food was not very tasty and it was cold! It was busy at 9:30 PM and they didnt have adequate wait staff.

This is a large hotel chain which just happens to be located in Italy. It has no bearing on the quality of the food or service.

On the positive side, it is very convenient to the airport! Rooms are what you would expect from a Sheraton.

Gail
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 07:59 AM

Don't eat at the hotel. Get a taxi or the hotel shuttle as soon as you check in and spend as much time as possible in the center of Rome. Have dinner there and return to the hotel as late as you can.
Old Sep 17th, 2006, 11:08 AM

It seems fuel prices are having an impact all around; this shuttle used to go out to Old Rome every hour on the hour and pick guests at Piazza Venetia. With a 2-hr schedule I can see the first come-first serve basis.

There is a train station about 10 minute walk from the hotel. If you choose to take the train, DO NOT do so after dark. That nice little park located close to the hotel becomes a hang-out/pick-up prostitutes (of every persuasion and lifestyle) place and totally seedy at night. I made this mistake and walked back by myself; the scariest walk of my life.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 01:15 AM

We'll be there next week. Thanks for the tips
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:15 AM

We stayed there once for a couple of nights and it is not the best choice even at a discounted rate that is why we were tempted
Food is no good there. Sorry to tell you will loose a lot of the feeling of what is Rome all about.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 02:16 AM

Sorry I made a misstake I was thinking of the Sheraton in Rome not at airport. So sorry.