Search

Rome - Sheraton Roma Hotel and Conference Center

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2009, 06:49 PM
MH2
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rome - Sheraton Roma Hotel and Conference Center

Has anyone stayed there recently? I am booked for a 6 night stay next summer. Got a great deal at about $120 (US) per night. I do realize it is a shuttle ride from the city center. Does anyone know how long of a ride to the city the shuttle is? Will be traveling with my husband and 1 1/2 year old son. The cost & the pool were the selling points of the Sheraton for me. Thought it would be nice to have a place where we could cool off in case it is hot (will be late June when we are there) Also, since we will be putting our son to bed around 9/10pm, we don't plan to be taking in much of the nightlife anyway. We are hoping the shuttle service will be enough to get us to Rome for the days of exploration that we do plan. Any personal experience would be greatly welcome.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:28 PM

Many years ago, we stayed in the ROme Sheraton ( only because we joined friends) , I understand your point, it is not expensive and the pool is ok , nice for hot afternoons, but of course it is a hazzle to have to take the shutter and come back. It eliminates the convenience of coming in and out of your hotel and being in Rome, in the real Rome.
There is nothing I can add of interest, I recall the food was not good, but it might have changed, it might be a good idea to have breakfast included.
As I said this was years ago, otherwise we have always stayed in town and would not have it otherwise.
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:37 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
According to the hotel's website, the shuttle to the city is not free (3 euros pp but I assume your son would be free). Reservations are required, and there are only three departures before noon. The return trip is free but on a first-come basis.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...L_ROM_ICM_EAME

Have you read the Tripadvisor reviews?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Rev...ome_Lazio.html
Old Dec 28th, 2009, 07:40 PM

Times have changed it used to be free.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 05:34 PM

I'm with Graziella here. We stayed at this hotel for two different Rome trips, but only on our last night so we could be near the airport the next morning. IMO it is way too far from the heart of Rome. We liked being able to stop back at our hotel 1-2 times during the day to either take a quick rest, change clothes/shower for dinner, etc.
I'd recommend booking it for your last night though so you are close to the airport. It's a nice convenience.
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 01:43 PM

We always stay at the Sheraton Golf Parco de'Medici - mostly because we don;t lie to drive in the city and there's free parking and a nice pool. The shuttle bus is free to Teatro Marcello (and they will email you the current schedule if you ask) -same as the other Sheratons and Hiltons I believe. (maybe a 20min ride) The last bus is fairly late, so it was never a problem...but, the pain is that the first bus in the am doesn't leave until 10 or so (don't know if they've changed that.)
Old Jan 6th, 2010, 02:52 PM

My husband and I stayed there when it first opened in 1983.
I walked through the parks, under the roads and into a small
shopping area in what I remember was a village like area. At that time no one spoke English and I had to enlist the help of another tourist to get my pastry ordered. After walking to this area for several days, someone told me the park wasn't safe. It was daylight when I walked it and I enjoyed every minute. We went past on a bus from central rome, last year and it took us about 25 minutes to arrive back to the main bus station in Rome. Assume the shuttle bus is faster. When we were there we went to a Roman show that was out of this world, also sat in the lobby and watched a wedding party arriving. Really beautiful to see. Great memories for me.
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:22 AM

Please tell me where I can make a reservation for $120usd.at the Sheraton Rome.
I was just on their site and it is 3 times as much for summer 2010.Please share the information,Grazie
Old Jan 11th, 2010, 05:35 AM

We stayed there on our first trip to Rome about 10 years ago. At that time there was no shuttle and we had to take a bus to the metro and then the metro into the city. It worked, but wasn't convenient. The hotel was fine and I remember the breakfast buffet was great. We were there on a date that the time changed, and we were unaware, so we were an hour late getting to the Vatican, and just missed seeing the Pope appear at the window. There was a wonderful casual, family type restaurant next door to the hotel where we had our first authentic Italian dinner, probably the best meal of our whole trip, sorry, but I can't remember the name of the place.