Share your views

Aug 5th, 2003, 07:51 AM
dln

Share your views

My daughter and I were looking at travel photos of Rome on the internet. She's already been there and I wanted her perspective on some of the sights. One of the things she said the most was "...there's a great view of X..." and it got me to thinking that there is nothing better than a great view!

What are your favorite views? Not necessarily a view in the classic sense, as in a vista, though it could be, but a visual composition that pleased you and stuck in your mind.

My two favorites are the view up the hill from the narrow street below, to the Sacre Coeur in Paris. That dazzling white church and all those steps up just grabbed me! The other is the vista from the ramparts of Warwick Castle in England. There are no telephone poles or anything of this century to mar the countryside you're looking at. It takes hardly any imagination to peel away the centuries. How about you?

Aug 5th, 2003, 08:18 AM

Great travel Photo website webshots.com
Aug 5th, 2003, 08:22 AM

Oh boy. That's a tough one. There are so many! How 'bout a recent one for me? The view of Florence from Fiesole.
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:12 AM

The Rhine near Kaub, Germany, with the island fortress of Pfalzgrafenstein in the foreground and the cliffside castle of Burg Gutenfels in the background.
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:16 AM

Looking over a field of sunflowers in Tuscany!
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:25 AM

Looking at the caldera on Santorini with a whitewashed chapel in the foreground.

Also, poppy fields in Provence.
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:34 AM

Sitting in front of a little church in Wengen and looking down the Lauterbrunnen valley.
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:40 AM

The view from Mount Pilatus in Switzerland was awesome and always sticks in my mind. You could see cows grazing and it really was so simple, but naturally gorgeous. The lake views near Lucerne are also beautiful views with interesting homes along the banks. I also loved the view of all the little shop signs in Salzburg, Austria. Very quaint.
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:40 AM
ira

Looking down nearly every street in Paris or every canal in Venice.
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:43 AM

Favorite views:

Watching bustling Amsterdam go by Munt Tower from our hotel window on Queens Day. At home, sitting on "my" beach, right out my back door on the Gulf of Mexico. Sitting in Notre Dame listening to a mass in French.
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:50 AM

I strongly agree, Ira!
Aug 5th, 2003, 09:57 AM

We got a little "lost" in Scotland up in the Highlands. I have no idea where we were exaclty, but it was in November, around 3 pm (so the sun was sinking behind the hills), and we were in the middle of no where. Talk about being transported through the centuries! All we could see in front of us (we pulled over to the side of the road for some photos) were the hills, a stream, sheep, highland cattle, and heather all with the backdrop of a cold winter sunset. BEAUTIFUL!
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:33 PM
dln

topping myself because I like other people's views!

Aug 5th, 2003, 02:45 PM

The view from the Great Wall of China on a foggy gray morning. All you saw was the Wall moving back and forth on the top of the mountains. It was truly spectacular!
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:49 PM

Nelson New Zealand.....the view of Tasman Bay........turquoise bay meets land & with background of Snowcapped Mountains.
Also have to say... Paris & Venezia are still very mysterious ladies!!
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:50 PM

I love the view of Sacre Coeur that you describe. A few more I've enjoyed: the view of Rio de Janeiro from cable car up to Sugarloaf; the Halifax, NS waterfront off the harbour ferry from Dartmouth; the golden pagoda viewed through the pillars of the temple of the emerald buddha at Bangkok's Grand Palace.
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:52 PM

YES yes, Flyboy....Dartmouth is a beauty!!!
Aug 5th, 2003, 02:52 PM

Two come to mind: The view from the road leading to Neuschwanstein on a cold foggy day...half of the castle was in the clouds/fog and the other half looked simply surreal. The other is the view at the top of the funicular in Interlaken. Stunning.
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:07 PM

There are so many! The ones that immediately come to mind... the first time I approached Venice by water, entering the Bora Bora lagoon by ship, evening view of the Bund from the Shanghai Hyatt, Glacier point at Yosemite national park.
Aug 5th, 2003, 03:32 PM

Here are a few:

Looking down the Getreidegasse in Salzburg with all the cool signs hanging from the shops, hotels and other buildings.

The stained-glass windows of St-Chapelle

A multitude of views while hiking in the Cinque Terre

The inside of the Weiskirche

Neuschwanstein from the Marienbrucke (spelling?)

Sunrise at Bryce Canyon after a snow storm the night before

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO