Search

Share with me your pleasant apartment rental experience

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Share with me your pleasant apartment rental experience

Hello Fodorites,
We will be visiting Rome, Florence, Venice, Milan and Paris for three weeks in May 2008. We have four in a family with two young adults. It seems that renting an apartment is the best option for us after reading the travel talks. There is more room for family members to move around after a long day of travel. We would not be driving so the location of the apartment has to be close to all amenities. We need a one or two bedroom apartment. One bedroom is fine as long as the sofa bed is a good one. Prices can range from 150-200 euro.

We looked at quite a few of the apartment websites in all these cities and most of them provide good information. The catch is that looking at pictures and information is quite different than actually living in it. Sometimes I see that there are some unpleasant surprises along the way from reports by travelers.

Since it is our first time to Europe, I would appreciate if you would recommend your apartment that you have stayed to us. We do not need to know the websites because we have looked into them. It is the individual ones that I would look for.

A few months ago when we decide on this trip to Europe, we were debating whether we should join tours or not. The advantage for tours is that almost everything is pre-arranged for you. Little did I know that there is so much to plan as an independent traveling family. But guess what? I love reading every minute of the travel forums in Fodor’s.
This is just the initial planning stage and I cannot wait to read from your experiences.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM
J62

For Venice contact Denise at www.venicerentals.com. They represent a large number of properties and are very helpful and can offer you numerous options.

For 3 weeks I recommend 2br apartments, as they usually have a 2nd bathroom as well. Having a separate room for the kids, as opposed to setting up shop in the living room on a sofa is important, especially for those mornings when one wants to sleep late or get up early. Sofa beds will NOT accommodate 2 young adults.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 09:54 AM
J62

We stayed at the Bandiera e Moro apartment, top (1st) floor in Venice. Very lovely apartment, good location, close to markets, etc.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:01 AM

J62: do you have a link to that particular apartment?
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:03 AM

We are heading to Venice and Paris in September and have rented apartments in each city. I did much research and e-mailed with a lot of people who visited the following apartments. They loved them. I'll post my experience when I get back. I can tell you that the owners have been splendid to deal with. The locations (especially in Paris) can't be beat. They book far in advance. I was lucky that each had cancellations come up so I could snag reservations. I can't tell how comfortable 4 will be; my husband and I will be travelling alone.

Venice:

http://www.rosadivenezia.com/en/index.htm

Contact=Robert Schlesinger
[email protected]
Rate we received=160 euro/night (plus 39 euro cleaning fee)
Location=above Bridge of Sighs

Paris:

http://www.perfectplaces.com/24752

Contact=Francine Carpon
[email protected]
Rate we received=140 euro/night (no cleaning fee)
Location=St Germain des Prés

We did not use a commercial site to book either. We booked with Robert and Franice directly.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:08 AM

We rented from Sleep in Italy in Rome. Loved the apartment and the agency was great.

http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/ap...dipiet%E0.html
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:16 AM
J62

Holly - here's the link.

http://www.venicerentals.com/apartme...artments32.htm

and for the location, enter these GPS coordinates into maps.google.com and you find it.

Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Our family was in Paris and Venice (along with Switzerland, Provence & Cinque Terre) in June. I can share our two apartments in the cities on your itin..pls let me know if you have any specific questions re the properties below..

Paris - we stayed 3 nights
www.vacationinparis.com
ID#3
Pros: Very reasonable cost, decent sized space, nice kitchen, decent bath, washing machine, Great location between Invalides & Eiffel Tower - 5 minutes off Seine, great agency,
Cons: Not much light, decor not very "upscale", 1BR

Venice - Stayed 3 nights
www.cadelbrocchi.it
This is a B&B that has apartment rental down the street - nice breakfast still part of deal.
Pros: Great rates, GREAT space, 2BR, 2BA (tub & shower), Large Den, quiet location in Dorsoduro, Washer, great kitchen
Cons: No A/C, in quiet location in Dorsoduro (depending on your preference - could be pro or con -- we loved the ability to get to a quieter area in evening to sleep)
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM

A vote for Roman Reference, Rome apartments.

www.romanreference.com

excellent service
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:56 AM

J: those apartments look lovely, and I love that location. I prefer to rent owner-direct these days, though.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 10:59 AM

Holli, then look at Homelidays.com

I rented from an apartment from the owner. VERY pleased. No troubles, no agents..
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:05 AM

We have rented several apartments in France from www.francehomestyle.com. In Paris we have rented apartments on the left bank--Luxemborg Luxury (large and nicely furnished), Rue Mazarine (unbelievable location), Rue de l'Arbalete (near the market street Rue Mouffetard). We have enjoyed each apartment and have found them to be exactly what we expected. There is always someone to greet you and show you around and you have a phone number to call if you have any questions. France Homestyle is located in Seattle where I live so I usually drop the deposit off and appreciate doing business with someone I have met.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:08 AM

We really liked the smaller of the 2 apartments on www.lacigaleparis.com. It is exactly as pictured, it is easy to deal with the US landlord and in a great location.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:14 AM

here's a 2BR in Paris that we have stayed at twice. we love it and can't wait to go back. http://www.vrbo.com/15502

enjoy your planning!
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:01 PM

Sandy - that looks like a great apartment. We rented from Sleep in Italy as well and it was a very pleasant experience. I did not really care for our apartment but the price was right and it was in a good location. A little too bare bones for me. I must have been feeling budget minded that day.
http://www.sleepinitaly.com/files/apt_greci.html
I also rented through
http://www.rentvillas.com/

http://www.rentvillas.com/PropertyDe...?Catalog=11983

we were extermely pleased with the service and the apartment as well.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 12:05 PM

We enjoyed working with Sophie at Welcome2France (www.welcome2france). We rented the Louvre-Palais Royale I apartment this past June. The location was very central with easy access to the main metro line and just up the street from the Louvre. This may be beyond your budget, but she has others if you don't have to have two baths as we did.
Old Jul 26th, 2007, 11:27 PM

I have posted before about the apartment we stayed in September 2004, me, my husband and my parents. It is still advertised as available at www.rentalfrance.com. It is the apartment that goes by the name there of Propriete Royale on Rue St. Paul. The address is 24 Rue St. Paul. In the Marais, just about 3 blocks from the Seine, across from Ile St. Louis. Its current advertised rate for a week on that website is 980 to 1200 depending on the season. It is a simple but very comfortable apartment. The front bedroom has two twin beds and the back bedroom a full bed. It has one bath with sink and tub/shower and another with sink and toilet. The living dining room is quite large really but the bedrooms small (but comfortable). It was quiet. It is above an antique shop. It is on the second floor (American second floor) so we didn't need an elevator. It is very near restaurants, cafes, grocery, metro, everything you need. I think a great value for the space and location. I know Paris a bit and had gotten and emailed a reference the manager gave me of another woman in the U.S. who had recently stayed there with her parents with many questions so I had done my homework and knew what to expect. I would think it was a good match for a family of parents and two young adults. (Also, if you wanted it the sofa is a sofa bed, although we did not use it.)
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 12:44 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for providing me with your favorite apartment information. I go into your websites to check on the property. I also did my homework and come up with a small list of apartments to rent in Rome and Paris. However, i do have trouble locating the final one. You are invited to compare yours with my list and give me some pointers. The new posting is titled "How to choose the best location for accommodation in Rome and Paris?"

We still want to stay within the budget of 150-200 euro a day.
Old Jul 30th, 2007, 01:02 PM
LJ

Parker Company are NOT European, but US based and we have had three great experiences with them (which is not to say that Paris and Rome based renters are not equally good, but with Parker there are different, less restricting financial rules.)
http://www.theparkercompany.com/