Seville to Algrave

Search

Seville to Algrave

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19th, 2003, 01:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seville to Algrave

We are planning a trip to Spain and Portugal. On part of the trip we'd like to spend a couple of days in Sevilla and then head to Portugal's Algrave--don't know exactly where in the Algrave (still in the planning phase). I'm getting the impression that there's no direct/easy way from Seville to the Algrave. We'd really rather not rent a car. Ideally we'd love to either take a train (with no changes) or fly. Is this possible? If training or flying isn't possible, does anyone have any good bus recommendations--a nice coach with no need to change. And while I'm at it does anyone have any recommendations for a nice resort on the Algrave. We're looking for a relaxing, family friendly resort--a real getaway in the middle of our trip. Thanks for the help!
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 05:50 PM

Can't help on the public transportation from Sevilla to the Algarve as we drove from Lisbon to the Algarve. I would say that you might want to reconsider not having a car, at least for the Algarve portion. It would be a shame if you didn't get to Old Albufeira for dinner or Praia D'Rocha, for lack of a car.

Perhaps you might see if flights exist from Sevilla to Faro. If you were to drive instead, the new superhighway has significantly improved the travel time and comfort of the ride

In terms of a resort, if you are looking for a very nice, family friendly resort, I'd highly recommend the Sheraton Algarve. You can either rent a townhouse or regular hotel room. You should be aware the we spent about 600 Euro a night on a townhouse for 3 adults and two toddlers. The resort does have several nice pools, a very scenic beach, some very fine restaurants (the Moroccon was my favorite), and plenty for activities for kids. Perhaps if the hotel suits your need, you can ask them about transportation options. They were very helpful before and during our stay.

BTW, the UEFA Cup will be in Portugal next summer. Games will be in the Algarve region sometime between mid-June and early July. We plan on going back, but AFTER the soccer fans move on.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:24 AM

Get a bus from the city centre bus station in Seville to the border - 2hours.(to Ayamonte or across the border in Villa Real - 2 very different towns)Buy the bus ticket in Seville the day before.Ticket sellers at the bus station usually have no english - if the is a problem buy from a travel agent in Seville, price is the same (top travel tip!), then get a train from Villa Real.The bus is fast with a 15 min stop in Huelva (buy a bocadillo there), the train along the Algarve coast is slow.CARE - there is a 1 hour time difference between Spain & Portugal.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:38 AM

I did the drive from Sevilla to Lagos, and it was not pleasant. Just navigating out of Sevilla was a headache. Of course, it was probably more taxing due to the fact that it rained THE ENTIRE weekend - we're talking monsoons. Anyway, it's an easy drive but extremely boring. I've heard the bus can be a bit tedious as well, with no direct route. I like the suggestion for the bus to the border and then the train from there. If I had been aware of that option, that's probably what I would have done. Travel agents in Sevilla ARE a major help - the one I used was located just off (less than a block) La Campana in the center of the city. I may have the name at home...

One suggestion for when you do arrive in Portugal - you must drive out to the west coast, for sunset if you can. It's about a twenty minute drive from Lagos and you'll gain new respect for Columbus - it really does look like the end of the world. It will take your breath away.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the tips and advice on how to approach the Algarve portion of the trip. And Ryan thanks for the resort tip--very nice! And huge thanks for the UEFA Cup warning--we'll make sure we're scarce by that point. We're a bit skiddish about driving, so we'll probably try for a flight out. Thanks again to all.