Seville/Hotel Amadeus/ Bad experience

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15th, 2009, 05:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last Feb. we booked a room at Hotel Amadeus in the old part of Seville. I requested the largest two bed room in our price range. We were booking the least expensive rooms. I reconfirmed the reservation twice over the summer, and then told the hotel we'd be a late arrival. It turned out we were able to arrive by 4 pm. The room they gave us was the tiniest hotel room we have ever been in. There were two beds, which gives one the equivilent of a king size bed...but there was no room to put suitcases or turn around. The bath room too was tiny tiny tiny. The room opened to an airshaft. It turns out they had SEVEN rooms in our price range, all of them larger. But they totally ignored my request, even tho it was made months earlier. Since the hotel was fully booked they were not able to make any changes. They "comped" one breakfast to make up for it. However, we were not happy with our room, and we are not fussy travelers. They were all very pleasant, but I would have to say that IMO when one books in these quaint old buildings, one has to realize the owners are carving out as many rooms as they can in limited space. A sweet lobby with violins and classical music playing becomes a gimmick to make up for what they lack in room size. One doesn't live in the lobby. I just think travelers should be aware of these limitations. If you are skinny and tiny it probably doesn't matter what size the room is. But not everyone fits that catagory. In the future, I'd try to get a firm idea of the room size, and hold them to it in some way. But with Andalucia being so popular, I think hotel rooms in this price range are quickly filled, so they sort of have the tourist over a barrel.
I took notes on our trip and will make a trip report soon.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 07:06 AM

Thanks for the review. Did you post it on Tripadvisor, too?

We're headed to Andalucia in January. Looking forward to your report!
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 08:26 AM
Original Poster

yes I did. We did find a wonderful little boutique hotel in Granada, thank to Maribel's suggestion. Up near the Alhambra. If you are interested, let me know and I'll post contact info. It was one of our best choices.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 08:44 AM

Thanks...we're already booked in Granada in a cheap hostal. The boutique hotel sounds great, but it's probably above our cheapskate budget.
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 12:02 PM

What is the hotel you booked in Granada, kleroux?
Old Oct 15th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

the wonderful little boutique hotel in Granada is
http://www.alcubilladelcaracol.com/ Its an old house on the edge of a hill, just under the Alhambra, about a block from the Alhambra Palace hotel. Its called Carmen de la Alcubilla del Caracol. And you can park your car for free on the street next to the hotel. There is a Fabulous restaurant almost next door whose name right now escapes me, but will be in my trip report when I get around to writing it. We had a room with a view over the city that was just lovely...and the room and bathroom were large, clean and well furnished.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 10:55 AM

I can't wait to stay at Caren de la Alcubilla.
Old Oct 16th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

See if you can get one of the rooms with views over the city... I did not see the others, but the view rooms are lovely.