Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Several hours in Paris, to/from the airport, for dummies!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, I was just trying to have a catchy title. I've reviewed my original post and a current one that was related. This is what I gather my plan should be thus far:

1. My plane from Newark to Paris is scheduled to arrive at 8:40am. My luggage will be checked through all the way to Athens, that flight leaves Paris at 6:25pm. I will have to get my boarding pass for the Athens flight at the Paris airport, they can't do it in Newark. And, to correct an earlier error, I am taking Air France for both flights.

2. I will then buy a 1-day, 5-zone Paris Visite pass at the RER station at the airport.

3. I will remember that the tickets go in the turnstiles (I told you this is for dummies)

4. I will remember to not throw the RER tickets away!

5. I will take RER B (Direction : Massy-Palaiseau) from CDG to St-Michel Notre-Dame, as I have changed my mind & want to try & see this.

6. I will then take RER C (Direction : Versailles-Rive Gauche) to Champ de Mars Tour Eiffel. Unless it makes more sense to take a bus?

7. hmmmm.... what next? Any suggestions for a casual lunch? Is there better shopping around Notre Dame or the Eiffel Tower? By good shopping I mean some unique stores that are not all junky souvenirs.

Thanks so, so much to everyone!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:32 PM
Original Poster

By the way, any mention of any fine, Parisian chocalatiers in these areas would be appreciated!
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:47 PM

sounds okay to me. I would just take RER C to the Eiffel Tower -- there isn't any bus line that runs from around St Michel to the Eiffel Tower. There is the bus 87 that goes there and runs along bd St-Germain, I think, but you will spend more time if you try to find it, probably. If you have lots of time, you might enjoy the ride. I don't know the exact places it stops, but you could check on www.ratp.fr

I think most of the stores around major tourist attractions are souvenirs, and those are all I can think of. You don't go to the Eiffel Tower or Notre Dame for a shopping experience. Some of the souvenirs are nice enough, though, not just junk.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 01:57 PM

I just scrolled through all the posts on your previous thread. What you summarize on this one shows that you have figured things out quite well.

However, since there were so many posts, I've already forgotten if anyone suggested that you go to www.ratp.fr and download and print a Metro/RER map. Getting familiar with the system ahead of time will make things go much more smoothly when you get to Paris.

When you exit the RER at St-Michel Notre-Dame, just walk across the bridge and you'll be at the cathedral. On the RER, you insert your ticket both when entering and exiting the system. On the Metro you do it only when entering. And you've got it right: Hang onto your ticket.

On your previous thread, Robespierre said that you could take bus #42 from Gare du Nord to the Eiffel Tower. You could return to Gare du Nord and do that. Or you could take a five-minute walk from St-Michel Notre-Dame to the Saint Germain-Odeon bus stop, take bus #87 to the Rapp-La Bourdonnais stop, and then walk five minutes to the Eiffel Tower.
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

This is probably nowhere near either site?

http://www.catherine-b.com/contacten.htm

Catherine B
1, rue Guisarde
75006 Paris

But I assume there are boutiques like this all over Paris?
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 04:18 PM

Since it isn't very obvious where on the ratp.fr site to look for maps, start here:

http://www.ratp.info/orienter/tous_plans_pdf.php
Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:07 PM

I would go to the Eiffel Tower first, then take a cab down toward Notre Dame. The ride won't cost that much, and you'll see some nice sights along the way.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:12 AM
Original Poster

Topping
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:38 AM

Re chocolatiers: Pierre Marcolini, a Belgian chocolatier, has a shop on r. de Seine near the Odeon Metro stop. I try to go there whenever I'm in Paris.

I seem to recall that J-P Hevin has a shop in the 7eme arrondissement. If so, it could be closer to the Eiffel Tower. However, I've never been as I go to the one in 1er.

As far as I know, Hevin is not available in the US, but Marcolini has a store on Park Avenue in New York (it's also about twice as expensive here).

Another obvious suggestion would be La Maison du Chocolat. There's one near the Bon Marche department store, but there're a few branches in Paris. I've been to that one and also one by the Madeleine church (which is probably not on your way).

All three have websites and you can check for the most convenient store locations.
Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 05:40 AM

Another option for you is Richart -- which I think is located on the Left Bank somewhere. However I'm not terribly fond of their chocolates even though they are probably the most beautiful chocolates made.
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 24th, 2006, 06:36 AM

bookmarking
Old May 10th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Topping....................