Serious Mascara Question

Search

Serious Mascara Question

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Serious Mascara Question

I know that lip gloss and lip gel lubricate your lips, and that loose lips sink ships.

Liquid makeup can conceal and alter the appearance of many things.

Toothpaste and perfume mask and hide many things.

Lotions make things slippery so that they can escape between the cracks.

But what does masacara do that makes it a Federal offense???????

Seriously folks, I really want to know.

Nina
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:31 PM

It can be used to create a facial disguise or to poke out an eye. Serious stuff.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:33 PM
rex

In my case, I think it would make me look <i>totally</i> different from all the mugshots they have on file for me.

International <i>instigateur du terrorisme</i> that I am!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 06:43 PM

None of these items are an issue because of themselves. It is because of the consistency, and the potential explosives that can be hid in that consistency, as I understand it. They don't care about makeup, per se, and what it does to your face, nor toothpaste and what it does to you, nor that perfume makes you smell differently. It is the substance inside the container, and that other things that are of that consistency can be in that container and be hidden within in (such as at the bottom).

You can live without carrying mascara on board an airplane. Really.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:03 PM
rex

Seriously? I agree, partly with the consistency notion - - but the size is too small to be able to conceal an explosive substance big enough to blow your nose. More likely it could conceal something involved in <i>detonation</i>.

...but I am purely guessing.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:07 PM

I bought cake mascara! Let them try and take that away.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:07 PM

Well, at least you get the point, Rex, and that is, that it can contain something other than what it was intended for.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 07:47 PM

I just checked the lastest information on what is allowed in carry on bags -- and I find it amusing that they say NO to toothpaste, mascara, lip gloss, hair gel, and bottled water -- but YES to 4 oz. of personal lubricants!!! Yes, KY jelly is allowed - go figure.

Guess they don't want to mess with the mile high club.
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 09:29 PM

woo hoo, heard nail polish and nail polish remover were banned!
Old Aug 29th, 2006, 11:12 PM
Original Poster

I was just curious about the mascara - thanks for the answers.

I swear on all of my FF miles - I have never applied mascara in flight or just before landing, although my eye make up and brushes are always in my carryon - I'm one of the lucky ones (or maybe yucky ones), who doesn't wear face make up or perfume (allergies). But I love having those big brown eyes looking their best It's no big deal for me to check the mascara through.

Actually, I put my eye makeup on before I leave for the airport and then don't even think about it until my first day out and about at my destination. No touch ups etc.. I just couldn't figure out what was going on with the mascara - now I know.

Also I use Afrin and nasal saline solution during the flight, especially when taking off and landing. That will be a problem, since they are liquids and OTC products. If don't use them, my ears would pop off of my head. I guess they are covered under the 4 oz. rule.

Fortunately we aren't going until Dec. 21 and the regulations will change a million times between now.

Nina

Old Aug 30th, 2006, 12:19 AM

Does anyone know how they decided on the &quot;four ounces&quot; amount? Why not five? Three?

And please, don't tell us about &quot;precision&quot; which is one thing I do not believe the TSA or other agencies are known for.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:04 AM

Dukey,
I think the 4oz allowance is due to the uproar over saline solution. The small bottles of saline are 4oz. Just a thought...
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:17 AM

the rules are the rules are the rules...and too keep questioning &quot;that which is&quot; is just an exercise in futility.
What I want to know is how are we doing with carrying our little &quot;open/lock the car key chains&quot; and I have a fob on my keychain that also initiates and terminates my house's security system. Took them off for a domestic light last week...
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 07:19 AM

If this is a serious issue, Nina, I happened to see a list online yesterday of ways to get around the liquid problem. You might have forgotten that once upon a time, mascara came in solid cake format and you wet the brush. This can still be purchased. La Femme and Longcils are 2 brands. Unfortunately, can't find that page right now. But I did find this with ideas on other products

http://www.businessweek.com/bwdaily/...812_546249.htm
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 01:32 PM

The cake mascara I got is Lola from Sephora. I wouldn't have bothered but we have 3 planes, a train and a bus to get to Varenna. No way could I be presentable after all that time..
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:21 PM

Ladies, have you considered tinting your lashes and just skipping the mascara entirely?

Nina66, in my humble opinion, even if you DID apply an entire Sephora store of makeup on every flight you took, I see no reason to apologize...it's your lovely face, sweetie, and why should anyone else care! (Now, spraying perfume inflight, that's another story.)
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:41 PM

&quot;mascara came in solid cake format and you wet the brush&quot; - wet with what? Liquids are forbidden. Spit on it?
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:53 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
drip your martini onto it
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM

Ha! and after a few martinis you'll look so darn good you won't even need that mascara.
Old Aug 30th, 2006, 04:37 PM

Well I figure I can order water with my wine and just use the water!...I read an article on all this and some authority said even with peroxide and liquid...it would be difficult to do a bomb. It would entail many trips to the bathroom, and other things...so I don't understand all the banning. No way could theydo it with lip gloss.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -