Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

September vs. October for Venice, Florence?

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:04 AM
Uma
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hoping to visit Venice and Florence in the
fall for the first time. Wondering about
pros and cons of September vs. October.
Has this question been done to death before?
How many days minimum would you allot to each city (as well as some time to explore towns like Sienna, San Gimignano)--husband
can't take more than 2 weeks. Appreciate
any input.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:11 AM
rex

It's almost purely about money vs, enjoyment. September can cost 40% less than summer, to 20% more; October can cost 70$ lessthan summer to 10% less.

Days are longer in September; crowds are half of summer, but still very real. And weather can be all the way from "warmer" to downright hot.

I would always prefer September.

With 12-13 nights at your disposal, I would recommend a minimum of 5 or 6, to be apportioned between Venice and Florence, Everything else a mixture of 1, 2 and 3 night stays.

Or rent something self-catering and stay a week.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:13 AM

Hi Uma,

I normally don't travel in October but I did last October (Venice). The weather was cold and quite windy near the water. Warmer on the interior streets. At night it was damp and we didn't want to walk around much. St. Mark's Square was deserted at night, although the bands were playing. I've been to Florence and Venice in the warmer weather and would therefore advise you to go in September. The end of the month should be OK weather wise.

I'd give 4 days to both Venice and Florence plus other days for side trips. I don't think you can do a city justice is less time. In Florence I found that many sights didn't reopen in the afternoon or had long mid-day pauses which made scheduling difficult since we had to fit in so much each morning. Also, the major sights are crowded. One time I went out before breakfast to study the Bapistry doors without crowds! It was ideal.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Uma
Original Poster

Oops. Just noticed I misspelled Siena.
Thanks, Rex and Adrienne, for your
input. Anyone else? Don't think we will
rent a car, so would take bus to Siena
for the day. Bus goes to San Gimignano,
doesn't it? Or even hire a driver.
Can anyone recommend private drivers?
Thanks.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:39 AM

We visited Venice, Florence and the Tuscan countryside the last week in September and the first week in October a couple of years ago. Except for one very rainy day in Venice, the weather was nearly ideal. The crowds were not bad at all. In answer to your question, as long as you go late in September, the crowds should be manageable and you shouldn't risk much cold weather. The earlier you go, the more daylight. As for exploring San Ginignano and Siena, the bus crowds are there during the day time. They are so much more pleasant in the late afternoon and evening after the busses have left.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 07:58 AM
ira

Hi Uma,

Mid Sept to Mid Oct is a great time to visit.

I would give Venice and Florence at least 4 nights each.

Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:04 AM

I agree with Rex. My wife and I were in the area in October and the weather was perfect! I would give more time to Venice just because it's Venice and very different to be in? Florence has many attractions but is just another big city! Take some time and get to some of the islands in the vicinity of Venice and day trips to towns in area.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 09:40 AM
rex

I'm not sure you are agreeing with me, oberost - - I am recommending 5 or 6 for Florence and Venice COMBINED. Lodging is too expensive to stay in either more than that, and the rest of Tuscany and the Veneto interest me more.

Likewise, I also said I would always prefer Spetember to October - - glad you had a perfect week of weather, but on average, September will "beat" October.

But of course, having said that, the terrible mudslides of 2000 were in September - - but that was in Calabria.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 01:52 PM
rex

Topping for Uma - - I see that you post plenty on the US forum - - I don't know if topping is "practiced" (or necessary) there or not - - but traffic here this week is lightning fast. Sunk to 125 in the past three hours!

But presumably you know you can find it by clicking on your own name.
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:33 PM
Uma
Original Poster

Thanks, all, for your responses. And
thanks, Rex,for topping and for the tip
on clicking on the name. I wasn't aware
of that. This board is quite heavily
"trafficked." Will plan our trip for mid
to late September.