Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Central location for 6 nts in Tuscany/Umbria

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Melinda

Visiting Tuscany/Umbria late Sept. for 6 nights....Looking for suggestions on accommodations.....Should we stay in one centrally-located place and do day trips or should we split it 3/3 Tuscany/Umbria....
Was thinking about staying at Castello di Gargonza near Arezzo.....Any feedback on this? Any other suggestions welcome....

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 04:41 PM
Sue

ttt

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 06:51 PM
Marco

We will be using Lucca as a base for 10 days later this month. Will post on return.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 09:23 PM
Dayle

Hi Melinda!

depending on the towns you want to visit, I would split it. We stayed in the Chianti area for 4 nights & did day trips from there. Personally, I got a little tired of spending so much time driving back & forth.

We stayed in Orvieto & did day trips from there. It was a bit easier than Chianti due to more major roads nearby & less mountainous driving.

Have fun!

Old Apr 6th, 2002, 09:05 AM
topper.tom

topping

Old Apr 9th, 2002, 10:05 AM
Chris S

This is just one way of looking at things, I realise ... while the advantages of picking one spot are obvious (no pack/unpack, getting used to different beds/rooms/etc), I prefer to move around a bit. You don't get the true 'flavor' of a town if you just drive in during the day.

Stepping out in the morning, buying a paper and a coffee in the local cafe, seeing the locals start their day, are one of my favorite passtimes. And at night, I love to have a leisurely dinner, with wine, and wander through the town at 9pm or so, when the locals are out in force. I would not want to be driving back to my 'central location' after that. If you don't mind eating in the same town every night, then you don't have to drive after dinner, but then you don't get to see various towns at night.

My favorite memory of Cortona and Montepulciano was the main square late at night - full of locals, chatting away.

Another thing to consider is that it's harder to find your way around these small hill towns at night by car, so I like to get to my destination, and forget about the car for the evening.

Getting lost in the dark after a relaxing meal is not the best way to end an evening!

Old Apr 10th, 2002, 09:14 AM
Sam

To Chris: Great comments. Thanks. Sam

Old Feb 18th, 2004, 03:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For 6 nights, I would 3 and 3 as I prefer to balance covering places but not moving around all the time. I am partial to southern tuscany. The area south of Siena--Montalcino, Montepulciano, Pienza, and the Val D'orcia are my favorites. I have stayed in Gargonza and its a great experience in truly a unique place. The rooms are basic, however. Also, Villa Fontelunga near Arezzo is a great base. Its a sylish small hotel run by a cool couple from London. If you can afford it Locanda Dell'ammorsa is in that same area and one of the most amazing hotels in Tuscany. Enjoy
Old Feb 19th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As this is an old post, perhaps this information can be used for a future trip.....I, too, would split the locales and stay in each region. I agree with Lucca as a Tuscan option (Florence seems to be the most popular choice in Tuscany and is usually always full of tourists -- nearly year-round now. Lucca, on the other hand, has remained somewhat "isolated" from the maddening throngs, and that has preserved its small-town feel).

For the Umbria region, I recently stayed in very centrally located Perugia, in a wonderfully preserved former monastery near the Palazzo dei Priori (sp?). I paid an unheard of price of 25 euros per night for a single (late September). The train connections to all the cities in Umbria (Spoleto, Gubbio, etc) were quite easy. There were also buses going to Deruta and some of the smaller towns, leaving from the heart of Perugia.