September Switzerland advice please

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are coming to Switzerland this September. We are basing ourselves in Meiringen for 2 weeks. We are doing a Untours trip, hence the Meiringen base. I was hoping to get some advice on the following:
GOLDEN PASS TRAIN: it seems we need to make a reservation as September can be quite crowded. I was hoping to be able to see the weather report for a following day and then just go without reservations. Do you think this is possible in September or would I be safer with a reservation. I just don't want to take the panoramic train on a rainy day. Can we get off the train at a particular town to see the sites? If so, which town or village would be the nicest to do that in? Also does the panoramic train from Lucerne to Meiringen use the same tracks as the train we will be taking from Zurich airport to Meiringen? We have a second class Swiss pass and may decide to upgrade to first class for the Golden Pass Train, maybe even Prestige.
HIKING: We are looking forward to doing some easy to moderate hikes. I have seen so many recommended it is mind-boggling. Do you think we will need hiking poles for the easy to moderate hikes? We do have good hiking boots.
COW PARADE: We will be in Switzerland from the middle to end of September and are really, really hoping to see a cow parade and festival. Do you know of any that would be within a day trip visit for us in that time frame?
Thank you so much for your advice. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us so we are hoping to do it up right.

Last edited by jean56; Jul 2nd, 2023 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

My husband and I are coming to Switzerland this September. We are basing ourselves in Meiringen for 2 weeks. We are doing a Untours trip, hence the Meiringen base. I was hoping to get some advice on the following:
GOLDEN PASS TRAIN: it seems we need to make a reservation as September can be quite crowded. I was hoping to be able to see the weather report for a following day and then just go without reservations. Do you think this is possible in September or would I be safer with a reservation. I just don't want to take the panoramic train on a rainy day. Can we get off the train at a particular town to see the sites? If so, which town or village would be the nicest to do that in? Also does the panoramic train from Lucerne to Meiringen use the same tracks as the train we will be taking from Zurich airport to Meiringen? We have a second class Swiss pass and may decide to upgrade to first class for the Golden Pass Train, maybe even Prestige.
HIKING: We are looking forward to doing some easy to moderate hikes. I have seen so many recommended it is mind-boggling. Do you think we will need hiking poles for the easy to moderate hikes? We do have good hiking boots.
COW PARADE: We will be in Switzerland from the middle to end of September and are really, really hoping to see a cow parade and festival. Do you know of any that would be within a day trip visit for us in that time frame?
Thank you so much for your advice. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us so we are hoping to do it up right.
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 08:51 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's a link to dates for the Alpabfahrt/Désalpes/Alpabzug (your cow parade):

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/...lpinefestivals

There are regular trains that take the same route as the Golden Pass (as well as all scenic trains in Switzerland), but they don't offer the special Panoramic carriages. Reservations are recommended on the Montreux to Zweissimmen leg if you want to sit in the Panoramic carriages, otherwise you can take the regular train - and therefore wing it after checking the weather, but if you're determined to get on a Panoramic carriage, you'd probably want to book.

Last edited by Melnq8; Jul 2nd, 2023 at 08:53 AM.
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
HIKING: We are looking forward to doing some easy to moderate hikes. I have seen so many recommended it is mind-boggling. Do you think we will need hiking poles for the easy to moderate hikes? We do have good hiking boots

it depends on your general state of fitness and what equipment you are used to

https://www.swissmountainfun.ch/swit...-trails-guide/
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 11:36 AM
Forum Moderator

Moved to Europe forum and tagged for Switzerland.
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 11:55 AM
Forum Moderator

Your two threads have been merged
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by jean56
We hiked in Switzerland last August/September. We are typically in the "moderate" category, and I use poles sometimes. I did not take poles with me (so I could use carry-on luggage only), but I was able to rent them for a few dollars a day in both of our bases. Look for sporting goods stores that are part of the Intersport network.
Old Jul 2nd, 2023, 04:16 PM

Melinq8 had good advice for reservations for the panoramic train. However, we took the Golden Pass route on September 21, 2019 as a regular train from Interlaken to Montreux in second class. There was lots of space, no need for reservations, and I don't think we gave up much in the way viewing.
What's your itinerary? Are you going to Montreux? Or will you just pick a day and go "out and back"? If it's the latter, you could pick the "particular town" you want to see and get a round trip ticket to that. Check out Saanen / Gstaad.
I though the best part of the route was between Zweisimmen and Montreux.
You'll have to decide for yourself on the hiking poles. If you use them on rough trails you'll want them in the mountains.
Can't help you with the cows. But I will say, we've really enjoyed seeing them on the mountain slopes while hiking. Just something very.... Swiss about it.
Old Jul 3rd, 2023, 01:34 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Melnq8
Here's a link to dates for the Alpabfahrt/Désalpes/Alpabzug (your cow parade):

https://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/...lpinefestivals

There are regular trains that take the same route as the Golden Pass (as well as all scenic trains in Switzerland), but they don't offer the special Panoramic carriages. Reservations are recommended on the Montreux to Zweissimmen leg if you want to sit in the Panoramic carriages, otherwise you can take the regular train - and therefore wing it after checking the weather, but if you're determined to get on a Panoramic carriage, you'd probably want to book.
melnq8, thanks for the link. That is good advice about the regular train. We might just wait to check the weather a day ahead and if we cannot reserve we will just wing it . 👍

Originally Posted by bilboburgler
HIKING: We are looking forward to doing some easy to moderate hikes. I have seen so many recommended it is mind-boggling. Do you think we will need hiking poles for the easy to moderate hikes? We do have good hiking boots

it depends on your general state of fitness and what equipment you are used to

https://www.swissmountainfun.ch/swit...-trails-guide/
Originally Posted by ms_go
We hiked in Switzerland last August/September. We are typically in the "moderate" category, and I use poles sometimes. I did not take poles with me (so I could use carry-on luggage only), but I was able to rent them for a few dollars a day in both of our bases. Look for sporting goods stores that are part of the Intersport network.
ms_go, it sounds like renting poles is the best option. I really want to keep to a carry-on bag only. Buying some poles, if not too expensive could work too. Then we could leave them behind for the next renters to use. 🙂

[QUOTE=MichGuy;17476149]Melinq8 had good advice for reservations for the panoramic train. However, we took the Golden Pass route on September 21, 2019 as a regular train from Interlaken to Montreux in second class. There was lots of space, no need for reservations, and I don't think we gave up much in the way viewing.
What's your itinerary? Are you going to Montreux? Or will you just pick a day and go "out and back"? If it's the latter, you could pick the "particular town" you want to see and get a round trip ticket to that. Check out Saanen / Gstaad.
I though the best part of the route was between Zweisimmen and Montreux.
You'll have to decide for yourself on the hiking poles. If you use them on rough trails you'll want them in the mountains.
Can't help you with the cows. But I will say, we've really enjoyed seeing them on the mountain slopes while hiking. Just something very.... Swiss about it.[/QUOTE

MichGuy, I am not really sure yet if we will just ride the train in both directions or get off somewhere yet. I kind of like the idea of the Panoramic Express to Montreux, getting off for lunch and a stroll to loosen up the joints! And as long as I see the cows in the meadows I will be happy. There is just something about a cow, right?! Thanks.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 03:04 AM

MONTREUX - INTERLAKEN
All trains are panoramic, some a bit more, some a bit less.
There are 2 categories of trains:
Direct trains Montreux - Zwisimmen where you change to a direct train Zweisimmen - Interlaken, every hr
Direct trains Montreux - Interlaken with less stops, and ab out 20 min shorter journey time, 4times daily.
Seat reserv<ation is recommended, but not compulsory, for the latter trains.
If xou want to hop off/hop on, you better take the slower trains.
You may leave them
at Montbovon for a side trip to Gruyeres castle and back,
at Gstaad for a side trip to Glacier 3000 (Glacier restaurant with views from Mont Blanc up to Matterhorn)
at Spiez (or better Thun) in order to proceed to Interlaken by Lake Thun boat.
Old Jul 9th, 2023, 06:24 AM

LUCERNE - MEIRINGEN
You can reach Meirigen from Zurich airport (ZRH) either via Bern or via Lucerne. The journey time for both is about 2 hrs 50 min (1-2 train changes).
If you travel via Lucerne, you will run the last hr over the Golden Pass itinerary (now called Lucerne - interlaken Express).
If you travel via Berne, you will end at the Golden pass itinerary too, this time between Spiez and Meiringen.

In the case your final destination is not Meiringen, but Hohfluh, Wasserwendi, Goldern or Reuti, it's much better to travel via Lucerne up to Brunig-Hasliberg and to reach your accommodationfrom there by connecting bus.

Nordic walking sticks can be bought about everywhere. Prices at Migros Sportxx at Thun or Stans for example start at 75 CHF
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 04:57 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
MONTREUX - INTERLAKEN
All trains are panoramic, some a bit more, some a bit less.
There are 2 categories of trains:
Direct trains Montreux - Zwisimmen where you change to a direct train Zweisimmen - Interlaken, every hr
Direct trains Montreux - Interlaken with less stops, and ab out 20 min shorter journey time, 4times daily.
Seat reserv<ation is recommended, but not compulsory, for the latter trains.
If xou want to hop off/hop on, you better take the slower trains.
You may leave them
at Montbovon for a side trip to Gruyeres castle and back,
at Gstaad for a side trip to Glacier 3000 (Glacier restaurant with views from Mont Blanc up to Matterhorn)
at Spiez (or better Thun) in order to proceed to Interlaken by Lake Thun boat.
It sounds like an idea to take the Lake Thun boat back! Thanks.
Old Jul 10th, 2023, 05:02 PM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by neckervd
LUCERNE - MEIRINGEN
You can reach Meirigen from Zurich airport (ZRH) either via Bern or via Lucerne. The journey time for both is about 2 hrs 50 min (1-2 train changes).
If you travel via Lucerne, you will run the last hr over the Golden Pass itinerary (now called Lucerne - interlaken Express).
If you travel via Berne, you will end at the Golden pass itinerary too, this time between Spiez and Meiringen.

In the case your final destination is not Meiringen, but Hohfluh, Wasserwendi, Goldern or Reuti, it's much better to travel via Lucerne up to Brunig-Hasliberg and to reach your accommodationfrom there by connecting bus.

Nordic walking sticks can be bought about everywhere. Prices at Migros Sportxx at Thun or Stans for example start at 75 CHF
We are looking forward to the train to Meiringen ,after arriving in ZRH. I hear it is especially beautiful from Lucerne to Meiringen.