Reload this Page >

September: London, Paris, Amsterdam - Final Plans

Old Jul 30th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help on past topics. We are about 1 month and 1 week away from our first ever trip to Europe and are SO excited, but starting to freak out a bit! Looking for some overall advice on things to do, places to eat/drink, etc. We are a newly engaged couple in our mid-20's that love to walk, take photographs, meet people, visit some museums (but not be inside all day), drink (wine/beer lovers!), etc.

Below is our itinerary - any advice on your all time favorite things to do/see and advice on fun places to eat/drink would be appreciated!!

Friday, September 07, 2012 SFO to England (arrive 2pm)
Saturday, September 08, 2012 Arrive England
Sunday, September 09, 2012 England
Monday, September 10, 2012 England
Tuesday, September 11, 2012 England
Wednesday, September 12, 2012 England
Thursday, September 13, 2012 England
(Plans: Thames River Festival!, Tower of London, Tower Bridge, Westminster Abbey, Thames River Cruise, London Eye, Buckingham Palace (changing of guards), St. Paul's)

Friday, September 14, 2012 England to Paris (morning train)
Saturday, September 15, 2012 Paris
Sunday, September 16, 2012 Paris
Monday, September 17, 2012 Paris
Tuesday, September 18, 2012 Paris
(Plans: Louvre, Eiffel Tower, Versailles (day trip), Notre Dame, Ste Chappelle, Terrace of the Galeries Lafayette view, Tuileries Garden)

Wednesday, September 19, 2012 Paris to Amsterdam (morning train)
Thursday, September 20, 2012 Amsterdam
Friday, September 21, 2012 Amsterdam
(Plans: Van Gogh, Ann Frank, Heineken Experience, Canal Cruise)

Saturday, September 22, 2012 Amsterdam to SFO (11am)

Thanks!!
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 08:13 PM

I have to giggle at the terrace of the Galleries Lafayette view, but otherwise it looks pretty well thought out.
Old Jul 30th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Original Poster

Haha - we got a recommendation from a friend to do this. That is why I added it! Any favorite spots StCirq?
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 03:06 AM

Have tea at the Paris Mosque and tour the building; do a tour by city bus: 38, 68, 28 and particularly 96 are nice routes. If you go to the Louvre, use the entrance at Carousel du Louvre: your waiting time will be cut considerably. I'd skip Eiffel tower, but if you want a high vantage point go to park Andre Citroen and go on one of their tethered balloon rides. Institut du Monde Arabe has a rooftop restaurant with great views and decent food. A walk on the Isle des Cygnes right in the middle of the Seine is also nice.

There are a couple of interesting smaller museums aside from the Louvre, such as Carnavalet in the Marais, the Picasso Museum, but also places like Musée Nissim de Camondo, Musee Rodin, which has great gardens too, or more modern places like Palais de Tokyo (modern, experimental) and Fondation Cartier.

In Amsterdam why not go to the jewish historical museum and the portugese synagogue instead of the Anne Frank house? And do check the NDSM shipyard area in the north of the city: a wonderful (and free) 20 minute ferry ride away from Central Station.

I'd give the Heineken Experience a miss, but if you want to have great beer by a micro brewery that's located in a windmill, go to Brouwerij Het IJ. Their tours are a good deal more interesting than Heineken Experience and the beer is a 100% better.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 04:24 AM

Visit the British Museum in London. Take a Seine River cruise in Paris. Visit the Musee D'Orsay and Luxembourg Gardens.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 04:39 AM

In London, marvel at Leighton House in Holland Park. Worth a detour, as they say.
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

WOW!! Thank you all so much for your unique advice! I am looking into all of these suggestions before we leave! Keep um' coming. Any restaurants/bars that we must visit??
Old Jul 31st, 2012, 10:40 PM

Where are you staying in Paris? Location is very important. And I'd spend a couple more days there, but I'm biased.

What kind of restaurants are you looking for? Budget?

One of my favorite restaurants in Paris is l'Hotel. And I like the bar at George V.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

Hi ruedebuci. We are staying in the 1st, very close to the Louvre. As far as restaurants - we are looking for an eclectic mix. Probably some small cafes as well as one night at a really nice restaurant.

Thanks for the suggestions! I have heard the George V bar is wonderful!
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 08:47 PM

I went to the Heinekin Experience a year ago and walked away feeling ripped off...IMHO, not worth the euros. The best part was the two free beers at the end. If you want to visit a brewery, surely there is a working brewery somewhere nearby. My recommendation is skip the Heiny, not worth the time or money.
Old Aug 1st, 2012, 08:50 PM

One other suggestion...if you're looking for a brewery to visit in London, I can highly recommend the Fuller Brewery (20 minute Tube ride outside London), reasonably prices and LOTS of great beer! Do a Google to find directions and to make a reservation.