September in Slovenia

Search

September in Slovenia

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2004, 03:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
September in Slovenia

Hi I am planning a trip to Slovenia in September and have heard that there is a "cow ball" in Bohinj sometime. Does anyone know when this happens?
Thanks
Jenny
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 07:57 PM

Try the lonely planet site. The people who post there are much more likely to know the answer.
Old Aug 14th, 2004, 11:17 PM

The Cow Ball is scheduled for Sept 12, 2004. It is fun if you are already here, but I wouldn't schedule my trip around it.

Enjoy Slovenia,
Jan from Ljubljana
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 05:45 AM

SloJan, if you're still out there, we're going to be in Lake Bled for three days and intend to use one of them for a day trip to Ljubljana. It can be either Monday or Sunday. I want to see the market so would like to go Monday. My husband the driver always prefers to go into larger cities on Sunday if he can to avoid traffic. If I prevail and we go in on Monday, will we encounter terrible traffic? Hoping to be able to park somewhere near Preseran Square so we'll be right in the middle of things. Thanks.
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Hi,
You are in luck. With summer, there isn't much of a traffic issue...at least in the city. The highways can be slow esp. on the weekends, due to the North South traffic crossing Slovenia to get to Croatia.

Directions are easy. Take the highway in and get off at Brod exit. This is the second to the last one. Take a left and this road will dead end into Dunajska. Take a right and Dunajska will take you all the way in. Turn left after the Hotel Slon and follow the road around into the parking area at Kongresni Trg. Outdoor parking about 220 SIT/hour and right in the heart of the action. On MOndays, the market is a bit slow but it is open. People like their 2 day weekends and with working Sat, it moves to Sun-Monday. Usually, all the stores etc. are open however.

Enjoy Ljubljana!
Jan
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 07:41 AM

If your husband prevails, come in early on Sunday. There is an antique market downtown along the river. It closes up by about 12:00 though and then, the town is dead.

Cheers,
Jan
Old Aug 15th, 2004, 08:03 AM

hi jenny--

we've just returned from a week in slovenia. it was a fabulous vacation. obviously, i have no idea how old you and your husband are and what your interest is in seeing some areas around bled, but i cannot recommend an excursion with domen of www.3glav-adventures.com more highly. we did the emerald river excursion which in addition to a lot of hiking included rafting but there are more easygoing excursions too. we were with domen from 9am-7pm, saw so many amazing sights (that we would have missed without an insider) and it was about $70/person. we considered it the best day of our trip.