Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

September 11 Catalan National Holiday closures

Nov 9th, 2008, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

A question for Maribel as well as any other knowledgeable Spain authority - We will be in Barcelona next September 11, and I understand that this is a National holiday in this area of Spain.

Which, if any, of the following sights will be open:

Sagrada Familia
Catalan Concert Hall
Casa Mila
Barcelona Cathedral
Santa Maria Del Mar Church
Palau Guell (is it re-opened yet?)
Miro Foundation
Picasso Museum

Thanks for any information.

Nov 9th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

anybody?
Nov 9th, 2008, 09:53 AM

OPEN on Sept. 11, according to their web pages:

Picasso Museum
www.museupicasso.bcn.es

Sagrada Familia
sagradafamilia.org

Palau de la Música Catalana
palaumusica.org

Santa María del Mar
Open holidays from 10:30-1:30; 4:30-8
www.bcn.es/turisme/castella/turisme/welcome.htm

Casa Milà (La Pedrera)
fundaciocaixacatalunya.org

Miró Foundation
http://fundaciomiro-bcn.org

Cathedral
Open on holidays from 2-5 pm only
www.catedralbcn.org (site under construction)

NOT open on official holidays (according to its web page)

Palau Güell
www.palauguell.cat
Nov 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Maribel -thank you, as always.

By the way, my wife was told to "look for tapestries when in Spain".

Is there anywhere in Spain that sells large wall-hanging types that you know of?

Thanks, again.

Nov 9th, 2008, 04:36 PM

nevertooold,
Yes, I've seen tapestries in several places, including museum shops, but I don't know what size your wife wants, so can't give you a specific store right off hand.
I'll be on the lookout this week when we do our usual Madrid museum assault.

Also in Barcelona, you might find small ones in the museum shop of the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya or at the shop of the Museu Tèxtil in El Born on Montcada 12, across the street and down from the Picasso Museum.
Nov 12th, 2008, 08:03 AM

nevertooold,
I've spent the last 2 days museum hopping and peeking into their gift shops to inquire about tapestries but no luck at the Prado, Fundacion Mapfre, Thyssen, Reina Sofia or Caixa Forum, so don't look for them there. I may have seen them, if memory serves (or maybe it doesn't!), in the gift shop at the Monastery in El Escorial or at the gift shop of Girona's cathedral (or maybe Toledo's, the shop across from the cathedral entrance, where you buy your ticket). They used to sell them at the tasteful Museum/Musei shops, but they've all been closed now.

If I find one tomorrow during our next museum assault, I'll post it here.
Nov 12th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Original Poster

Maribel - you are an absolute doll to try to help.

My inquiry was the result of my mother-in-law off-handedly mentioning to my wife that someone had mentioned to her that Spain is "a wonderful country to buy tapestries".

Obviously if there is nothing mentioned about tapestries in Frommers, Steves, your own wonderful site,or,I would think, in any other Spanish travel guide book, I must surmise that Spain is not the "motherland of tapestry" as my mother-in-law's friend had thought.

You are hereby relieved of your mission , but I do sincerely thank you for your perseverence.

However, one more question, if you will.

Do you know anything about the paradors in Alcala de Henares (new) and Antequera (refurbished). I am looking for some feed-back in my apparently never-ending attempt to complicate a 17 day journey through Spain.

Thank you again, and by the way, although I am certain that you must receive countless accolades for your site, please add my name (or, rather, my site name) to those individuals who cannot thank you enough for the invaluable information and recommendations that you have provided, and continue to provide, on line.

Nov 13th, 2008, 10:30 AM

Hi nevertooold,
Thank you for retiring me from my mission, as I'm afraid that I struck out today as well! I looked for tapestries at the gift shops of the Fundación Lázaro Galdiano, the Real Academia de Bellas Artes de San Fernando and the Decorative Arts Museum. Struck out again! I think I must have only dreamed about seeing them at a museum shop, or I did once see them at the wonderful Museum Musei shop on Calle Velázquez which sadly, is now closed (became a Rosa Clará boutique).

On Nov. 24 I can certainly give you a detailed first-hand review of the brand new Parador of Alcalá de Henares, as we're spending a night there. It's just been reviewed in El País, and I'm eager to experience it because it's strikingly modern.

The one in Antequera, while pleasant, would not be one of the most memorable.

I'll be back here to give you a full report on Alcalá de Henares. Thank you so much for your kind words about my site.
Nov 13th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Original Poster

Maribel - I will wait to hear from you re: henares.

The reason that we are considering Antequera is that we are now planning a night in Cordoba, the next day at the Mezquita, and then after an afternoon of wandering through the Jewish district, a drive to the Antequera parador. The next morning we will drive to Granada and after a day there (Alhambra mainly), we will return for another night at Amtequera, and then continue on our journeys the next mid-morning.

The reason that we are (thus far)choosing Antequera for these 2 nights is that, although everything that I read on the web describes it as lousy at best, the latest trip adviser report (albeit in Spanish) gives it 5* and is accompanied by a number of photos which indicate a dramatic up-dating.

The location also suits our purpose (if we skip Marbella) of being central to each of Cordoba, Granada, Ronda (which we may or may not choose to visit) and Seville, where we will visit last before flying to Barcelona.

Any comments?

ALSO, so far we have B Hotel booked for 6 nights in Barcelona - I know that you do not love the location, but it is in your top 25 choices - would we be better off considering an apartment for this relatively lengthy stay (although the B's pool is enticing), and if so, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks.
Nov 16th, 2008, 02:50 PM

Hi nevertooold,
I'm glad that you have (almost) decided to skip Marbella. I now understand the reason why you're considering the Parador at Antequera.
I haven't seen it since the refurbishment so can't opine on the comfort level. I tend to think of it as an overnight stop rather than a destination for several days-that's why it doesn't make my top 20.

About Barcelona,
if you have the B booked already, I would just keep that reservation unless you can find an equally reasonable rate for an apartment in a very central location. You might look at the properties of Habitat and Friendly Rentals, but I don't know if you could beat the price in September, which is a very popular month for Barcelona tourism.
We haven't stayed in the B yet but have stayed close by. Those roof top pools of Barcelona hotels really are for dipping rather than swimming since they're so tiny, but they do come in handy in those sultry days.

Although I have been kindly relieved of my tapestry hunting duties, I have continued to look around (I'm a shopaholic-it's a mission I truly enjoy) but I'm still batting zero.

I'm in Navarra now visiting wineries, monasteries, Romanesque churches, chateaux, sites on the Camino de Santiago, but I'll give you a full report on the new avant-garde Parador in Alcalá de Henares on Nov. 25.
Nov 16th, 2008, 03:14 PM

I wouldn't follow tour guides that religiously when it comes to art and history. Spain is definitely a "motherland" for tapestry, but I hope your mother-in-law bought early:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/11/.../ftapestry.php

And you might want to take a side trip to Tarragona to see the best:

http://www.barcelona.com/barcelona_d...gona_cathedral

I found the name of this store on the web as selling tapestries, although it is really a highly-regarded vintage clothing store as far as I've ever known:

Heritage
CARRER DELS BANYS NOUS 14
08002 BARCELONA, SPAIN

Nov 18th, 2008, 11:45 AM

nevertooold,
Regarding the tapestry question (and assuming that you aren't in the market for one costing a small fortune, custom ordered, hand woven at the Real Fábrica de Tapices in Madrid, purveyors to the Royal Family), your best sources may indeed be in Catalunya (where I believe I did see them in Girona). I would look in the Barri Gotic in Barcelona and in the antique shops of the Call (Jewish quarter) in Girona if you decide to make a day trip to that lovely city, which I highly recommend.