Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

How to find operating hours of El Greco's house and the Alcazar in Toledo, Spain?

Search

How to find operating hours of El Greco's house and the Alcazar in Toledo, Spain?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thinking about a day trip to Toledo from Madrid in March, I'm trying to ascertain the days and hours El Greco's house/museum and the Alcazar will be open. What information I can find seems to say both are currently closed. Does anyone know how to ascertain when they will be open?
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 03:58 PM

The Alcazar remains closed for the foreseeable future, until Madrid's Army Museum is rehoused in the new extension that is being built.
El Greco Museum is also closed for major restoration. It was to be closed to the end of 2007, but it looks as though it remains closed with no reopening date set. Most of El Greco's works are currently displayed in Real Fundación de Toledo nearby.
Check official tourism site http://www.toledoweb.org/ (available only in Spanish) for any news.
Old Jan 7th, 2008, 06:31 PM

bakerstreet,
We saw the El Greco portraits in their new, temporary home. It's easy to find. Just follow the signs “Los Grecos del Museo del Greco”.

Entrance costs €3 plus you’ll enjoy the beautiful views along the Tajo River from the promenade on the square next to the museum.
All of the paintings are dated from 1600-1614.

Open Monday - Saturday from 10:00 - 7:00, Sunday 10:00 - 3:00.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 10:13 AM
yk

topping.

This is very helpful info - I'm heading to Toledo in 2 weeks and I assume things haven't changed in the last month or so?
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 12:06 PM

Sorry bakerstreet and yk,
Unfortunately thi

ngs have changed in the last month. In January the El Grecos were moved from their temporary home in the Fundación, Museo Victorio Macho. That special exhibit is now closed. The Toledo tourist board rep told me last week that the El Grecos were to go on tour, but he didn't know when or where yet. He also didn't have an opening date for the Alcázar as the new Army Museum.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 02:33 PM
yk

This is unfortunate, but thanks for the update Maribel. At least I won't go crazy trying to look for it when I head to Toledo soon.

I wonder if some of those paintings are at the current El Greco exhibit at Prado?

Maribel, if you're checking this thread again, may I ask you a question unrelated to Toledo?

I will be stopping at Cordoba (en route from Sevilla-Madrid) for a day. Are there luggage lockers or storage facilites at the Cordoba AVE station? Someone I know went to Cordoba a year or 2 ago and she used a locker. However, someone on Fodors here recently mentioned the lockers may not be available. I've emailed the TI at Cordoba but have yet to hear back from them.
Old Feb 9th, 2008, 06:46 PM

yk,
The El Greco special exhibit in the Prado is great-we went last week- but closes Feb. 17. It consists of all the El Greco paintings belonging to the Prado, not the ones from the El Greco museum in Toledo.

I don't know about the current situation of the luggage lockers at the Córdoba train station. I've used them in the past (they then required lots of change and no one there to make change for you) but haven't lately. There was a post on Madrid Man indicating that these lockers were no longer available, but I haven't been able to verify that.

Hope someone who has tried this lately can fill us in on the situation. If Renfe ever bothered to answer emails, I would email them to verify, but chances are slim that they would respond!

Old Feb 10th, 2008, 07:31 AM
yk

More about the El Greco paintings...

When I looked at the Toledoweb website (provided by Alec), it still appears to say the paintings can be seen at Real Fundación de Toledo. But I assume they haven't updated their website.

When I looked at www.spain.info website on Toledo, it says that some of the El Greco paintings (from El Greco museum) are on view at the Duque de Lerma Museum.

< The Duque de Lerma Museum in Toledo presents a selection of works from the El Greco Museum and from the Nobility Archives.

The aim is to display a series of works and items forming part of Spain's historic heritage that are largely unknown to the general public. This "hidden treasure" from the El Greco Museum and from the Nobility Archives comprises a selection of the best paintings, historically significant furniture, sculptures and an interesting collection of Talavera ceramics. Most of the pieces have never before been exhibited.

Dates: 6/26/2007 - 6/30/2008

Timetables: Daily including public holidays, 10am-1.30pm and 3-5.30pm.

Entry fee:
General admission: €4. Free: children under 8 years. >

It's located a bit outside of the old city. I guess I'll see if I want to visit it when I arrive in Toledo.
Old Feb 10th, 2008, 09:20 AM

yk,
The toledoweb hasn't updated its information because the official rep from the Toledo tourism bureau told me at FITUR that the exhibit at the Real Fundación was closed the first of Jan.

You can see several El Grecos, however, at the Museo Hospital de Santa Cruz on Cervantes 3, just below the Plaza de Zocodover. It is also being refurbished, but the downstairs pinoteca displays a room full of El Greco paintings (or did the last time I visited), and during the renovation of the building, entrance is free.
It's open Mon.-Sat. from 10-6:30 (handily doesn't close for siesta) and on Sun. from 10-2.
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 09:15 AM

yk,
Have an answer to the mystery of where the El Grecos of the Toledo El Greco Museum have gone.

They're in the Fine Arts Museum in Seville from Feb. 1-March 30. After that, I don't know where.

http://tinyurl.com/2t7x4h
Old Feb 12th, 2008, 12:34 PM
yk

Thanks Maribel. I am planning to go to the Museum of fine arts anyway in Seville. How convenient.
Old Aug 4th, 2008, 05:30 AM

Hello,

Any updates on this issue?

We are going to Madrid the first week of December. I am considering Segovia instead if these are still both closed.

I did a search myself and couldn't find any reopening dates.

My 2 day trips were going to be El Escorial and Toledo, but would Segovia and El Escorial be a better choice?

thanks.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 05:07 PM

Maribel or anyone with knowledge - is there any up-date concerning the Museo El Greco paintings?

We will be there this up-coming week-end and would like to see them if anyone knows their present location.

Many thanks.
Old Sep 14th, 2009, 07:48 PM

TTT