Sept Babymoon, destination unknown!

Jun 11th, 2019, 11:59 AM
Original Poster

Sept Babymoon, destination unknown!

Looking to travel for a babymoon-vacation and trying to narrow down ideas. Always dreamed it would be Greece but not wanting to hop around too much....get me there and to some nice spas, pools, quaint towns and amazing food! Is Greece a 5-6 day trip with maybe 1-2 stops in Sept worth it? How about coastal Italy suggestions? 1-2 stops, get there and relax and explore via eating....any other suggestions? Maybe Croatia? Anything! Coming from Florida. Thank you!
Jun 11th, 2019, 12:29 PM

First take a look at your direct flight options. Unless you can splurge on premium economy (at least), I would not put myself through a grueling flight for only six days. You might have good direct flight options for Spain, maybe some of the Portugese islands? congrats!
Jun 11th, 2019, 12:45 PM

You don't have to "hop around" when you go to Greece. Many people pick an island and stay there the whole time. If you want something luxurious that doesn't even need a ferry ride, there is Costa Navarino in the Peloponnese, for example. There are others, but that's the one that comes to mind:
https://www.costanavarino.com
Jun 11th, 2019, 01:30 PM

With your short time frame I would recommend a couple days in Athens and the rest on one island. There are numerous options for islands from over-the-top touristy and expensive to more traditional and low key. I would consider an island closer to the mainland with a reasonable amount of time to get to by ferry or any island that would have an airport to get to on the time it takes (time is valuable on holiday) to get there.

September will be a good time for Greece as the Tourist Season is over, the weather still comfortable, the Aegean warm from the summer heat and less expensive accommodations.

More research on your part will help as everyone has their own idea of what a Greek Holiday is all about.

Last edited by crazyh; Jun 11th, 2019 at 01:33 PM.
Jun 11th, 2019, 02:28 PM

If you have 5 or 6 days total -- you will only net a skosh less than 3 to 4 days on the ground.

Instead of places that take that long and with connections -- I'd look for places on the west side of Europe like Portugal or western/northern Spain, or parts of France. It would still be a lot of travel for a short trip but nearly a day less travel time. Look for places you can get non-stop flights.
Jun 11th, 2019, 02:32 PM

US to Europe is a big trip for such a period short time. I agree my first consideration would be finding a nonstop flight, and I would pick one single destination that is easily reached from an international airport to maximize time "being there" instead of adding a lot of additional local travel.

Did you already subtract your travel days when you say you have 5-6 days for Greece or wherever, do you really have 7-8 days total?
Jun 11th, 2019, 04:08 PM
Original Poster

Never heard of this island, thank you for the recommendation. I will check it out, already like that its a Marriott property! Want to make sure the area is a good Greek experience to immerse in! Thanks!
Jun 11th, 2019, 11:44 PM

Never heard of this island, thank you for the recommendation.
Elliejoe, if you are referring to my recommendation of Costa Navarino, it's not on an island, and that's one of the reasons I suggested it for your very short trip. The other reason is you are looking for spas, swimming pools, etc, which suggests luxury accommodation. The Peloponnese is a peninsula on the mainland, and Costa Navarino is located near Kalamata, which is about 2 hours by divided highway from Athens. The property is located near Pylos, a beautiful seaside town I have visited.

Frankly I don't think you have enough time to waste on ferries or flights to an island, because that would take up most of a day each way just getting there and back from Athens.

Since you haven't yet decided on a country, and haven't said what time of year you will be taking your babymoon, I agree with janisj you should look at a country with a shorter flying time from Florida.

Janisj, what about some of the stately homes in England that have been converted into luxury hotels? Any of those would make an excellent short break, and many have spas, indoor pools, etc.
Jun 12th, 2019, 12:15 AM

>>Janisj, what about some of the stately homes in England that have been converted into luxury hotels? Any of those would make an excellent short break, and many have spas, indoor pools, etc.<<

Funny - That was my very first thought because of the short trip duration and flying out of Florida. LOTS of nonstop flights to London. But the OP didn't seem to be interested in any temperate climate areas and only mentioned islands/and waterside resorts.

But there hasn't been a clarification if they actually have only 5 or 6 days. If that is their total time home to home I don't think they have enough time for the Adriatic/Aegean regions.There will be connections and layovers involved so even more travel time. A quick hop to London or even Paris makes more sense . . . or even MORE sense is someplace in North America/Caribbean.
Jun 12th, 2019, 12:58 AM

Janisj, it depends upon time of year as much as anything else. Correction from my previous post: ellejoe, I see you said September in the title. In September I would welcome getting away from the heat and humidity of Florida and go to a temperate climate. I remember when living in Houston how nice it was to get away from the heat for a couple of weeks and come back to England. Weather has been very strange this year in Europe—last month (May) it was warmer here in England than in Greece and Spain, but so far June has been a disappointment.

As for my Greek suggestion, you could rent a car at Athens Airport, drive down a divided highway to the southern Peloponnese, and be at Costa Navarino in less than 3 hours. That's not the sort of place I stay when in Greece, but it seemed to be what the OP was looking for. I tailor my suggestions for what I think the OP wants rather than my personal preferences.

Last edited by Heimdall; Jun 12th, 2019 at 01:14 AM.
Jun 12th, 2019, 01:51 AM

Athens has coastal resorts/beaches, there’s no need to go to an island for that nor drive very far. Mainland Greece has a lot to offer. Vougliameni for instance is an upmarket area outside Athens with several great hotels.

https://www.themargi.gr/

https://www.astir.gr/beach/
Jun 13th, 2019, 01:25 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all! I can take a few extra days but used all my PTO on a trip to Chile this year, pre-pregnancy! The issue I am dealing with truthfully is lack of direct flights from TPA or MCO, kind of shocked! Thanks so much for all the help, will keep researching these!
Jun 14th, 2019, 09:41 AM

I wouldn't expect hardly any nonstop flights from TPA or MCO to any European city, frankly. They aren't major US hubs or anything (I suppose you have the Disney thing at MCO, but seriously, a theme park, I think that appeals to Brits as there is some airline that has nonstop flights to/from MCO and somewhere in Gr Britain).

The only nonstop flights from MCO to Europe are mostly northern countries/cities (like Dublin, Manchester, Glasgow, Oslo and COpenhagen and London). on the continent, it is AMS, Frankfurt, Paris and Zurich. that's it. From TPA, there are no more choices, and there are actually fewer cities (but AMS, Frankfurt and Zurich are possible).

I would never go to Greece for a week myself, if that were the sole destination from the US. takes too long both ways. I have been there in October when it was nice weatherwise, but I was coming from Egypt and it was part of a bigger agenda. I wouldn't go to the coast of Italy in September.

I have no idea what a babymoon is, to be honest (yes, I've heard the word but don't know what it is), but there are plenty of coastal places in Europe closer to Florida than Greece. I don't know why you want to go to spas and the beach so much when you can do that at home, but anything like that on the coast of Spain or France would be closer. You can easily get a short nonstop flight from AMS or Frankfurt into, say, Nice (eg, Easyjet or KLM, you could combine that ticket). YOu can also get nonstop flights from AMS to Malaga, Spain.
Jun 14th, 2019, 10:58 AM

"A babymoon is a vacation you take with your spouse before you have your baby – usually in the second trimester. It's the last hurrah before baby enters your world."