Senior discounts in Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What senior discounts would be available to us in France and what is the age they begin at? We'll be in Paris for about a week and then spend a week in the countryside.
Thanks for any advice!!
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM

Senior discounts are generally not available to non EU residents, although a few years ago we did purchase a train ticket at a senior rate for a friend.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 02:19 AM

I've found that very few , if any, discounts avaialbe to non-EU residents.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 02:32 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
You can get a senior discount at the cinema. Senior discounts begin at age 60 in France.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:32 AM

I've never seen hardly any that would be available to nonresidents without the special card from the Mairie, except for some train senior discounts you can get. I don't think it's necessarily a EU thing for the most part, it's a local French thing, you need cards from the mayor for special reduction situations (like unemployed, big families, etc.). Now that's good news that some cinemas give them to anyone of a certain age, but I know some of them limit the hours that applies, as I've seen their signs. For example, some of the ones I go to only give a senior discount at certain showings, not all of them. I also don't think they all do that (give senior discounts)--not sure, but I don't think UGC does.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM

I bought senior discount train tickets for my in-laws on the internet (though it may just have been the same as a discounted advance purchase), and we got a discounted price on a Canal St. Martin cruise from Paris Canal. The only other thing we paid to do (Basilique St. Denis) did not offer a senior discount.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 10:12 AM

In my own experience, when I was taking my parents to various places that required the famous 'Carte Vermeille,' which is the official card given to people over the age of 60 for discounts, the ticket sellers just accepted my request for 'senior' tickets by glancing at my parents, with no need to show any documentation. For example, no problem at the Bateaux Mouches...
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:08 PM

I found out that the reality is that you might get a discount for seniors in the Bateaux Mouches which amounts to a few euros, the equivalent discount you can get clipping coupons from tourist magazines, but Europe today is for the EU seniors and young people too. There are many free entrances in great Museums all over Europe or discounted ones for EU seniors and that is it.

All exemption as far as I know, and would like to know if there are others, is the Alcazar in Seville free for citizen of the whole world over 65 or 60... also the Paradores de España are
very generous with the Años Dorados discounts. The rest it is a reality FORGET ABOUT IT.

( The Alcazar was free for all a few years back I shall not be surprised if the EU prevails now.......)
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:13 PM

The UK offers senior concessions to all. I've never been asked for proof
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM

The Jardin de Bagatelle in the Bois de Boulogne is also free for senior citizens. We young folk must pay 1€ to get in.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Many senior discounts are given in Portugal, regardless of residence in EU.
Old Dec 7th, 2009, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your info. We'll be retired by our next visit and on a bit more of a budget than previously.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 01:34 AM

Vanne, we always ask . . . the worst they can do is say 'no'!
Having said that, I do cringe at being classed as an 'Old Age Pensioner' in UK!! Di
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 03:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hi; Agree with 'di'. We have gained entrance to any number of venue's in Europe. But have been refused at many more. Don't remember specifically about Paris. Always ask. When we ask, I just have my 'state's' drivers license out. 'No harm, no foul'. Richard
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 05:40 AM

If you are a member of the AAA then don't forget to ask if you get a discount with your AAA card. Certainly in the Netherlands there are plenty of places (including the Rijks- and van Gogh museums) which off "Show Your Card" discounts. You can for instance get a 10% discount on a Paris Pass.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 07:36 AM

Kerouac, How do you request/obtain a Carte Vermeille? Would I ask the mayor of my village?

I will be a permanent resident and husband holds UK passport. We both, alas, are over 60 (JUST).

Thanks.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 09:52 AM

When my wife and I were in Paris last year, we were aware that there were many more discounts for people under 25 than there were for seniors. In my opinion, that is the way it should be and I am in my 70's.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 11:03 AM

It's a carte vermeil, actually, although I don't know why. It's a carte etudiant, though, not etudiante, so guess it's the same thing. For some strange reason, they have anglicized that and I think it is now a "carte senior" and is really a rail card. Now I know kerouac lives there, but I thought the Carte Vermeil was something sold by SNCF but was just used for senior discounts by a lot of places, and now SNCF calls it a Carte Senior.

The mairie gives out cards for some other social conditions, though, like big families (carte familles nombreuses) and identity cards and carte de sejour. They also give out the carte emeraude for senior free transport, but that's age 65, and I think that's only Paris. There is also some carte for war veterans or something.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 12:04 PM

Thanks, Christina for the information. I will look into the Carte Senior from SNCF.

I did apply for my carte de sejour through the mairie but while they were helpful with the forms, it's now somewhere higher up the line. No doubt because I am not a citizen of an EU-member state.

Thanks again.
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
OFF Topic; you can buy tickets to the d'Orsay Museum at 'metro stations'. You can then walk in without any wait. Richard