Senic Route via car from Munich to Neuschwanstein to Seefeld

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2023, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Recommendations for most scenic car routes between Munich and Seefeld with a stop in Hohenschwangau for some castle viewing. My son and I will be visiting Europe for the first time to do a motorcycle tour out of Seefeld, Austria. We will be flying into Munich and renting a car for the trip to Seefeld. We want to stop and see some of the castles and any other interesting sites along the way. We love the mountains and mountain views so would prefer routes that would take us through some mountain passes. We arrive in Munich from NC, USA at 7:00 am in the morning on a Wednesday and have a hotel booked in Seefeld so we have all day to get to Seefeld from Munich. We would also appreciate recommendations for a senic return trip from Seefeld to Munich again by car on a Saturday. Again, we will have most of the day on Saturday as we have a room book for Saturday night in Munich as a flight departs early Sunday morning. Thanks
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 06:39 PM
P_M

You're going to be very tired and jet lagged after the long flight, and I don't think it's wise to drive on your first day. Is there any chance you'll spend the first day in Munich, then drive the next day?
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 06:46 PM
P_M

In reading your post again, are you only going to be in Europe from Wednesday, then returning Sunday? That only gives you 4 days, and the first day will be tough with the jet lag. I hope I'm not reading that right because Europe is not a place to go for a long weekend. Please consider spending more time in this incredibly beautiful part of the world. If I am reading this right, this is a sad waste of time and money.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 06:58 PM
P_M

PS

My last post wasn't intended to be mean-spirited, I am speaking from concern. Your visit is far too short to be practical, that's why I think it's a waste. This is the kind of mistake an experienced traveler would never make.

Please extend you trip, I promise you won't be sorry.
Old Apr 27th, 2023, 07:14 PM
Original Poster

No we will be in Europe for two Saturday's. Motorcycle tour is a 10 day tour. Starting on Thursday evening June 8th and ending on Saturday June 17th. We will be in Europe for 12 days. Yes, the first day will be tough but we are hoping adrenaline and a couple energy drinks will keep us going. Hotel is already booked in Seefeld for the night of June 7th. We will probably rest on the 8th before actually departing on motorcycles on the 9th.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 04:37 AM
P_M

Thank Heavens!!

We stayed in Schwangau, in a hotel just across the street from the castles. You could also stay in Fussen, which is a larger town with more to do.

it was easy to get tickets to Hohenschwangau Castle but you might need to book Neuschwastein in advance. There's a cable car going up a nearby mountain which we enjoyed.

We also visited Linderhof Palace which is about 45 miles away. Linderhof has beautiful grounds and I don't think there's a need to book in advance, although it doesn't hurt.

Most any drive you take to the castle district will be scenic but maybe someone else can offer a specific route. Have a great trip.
Old Apr 28th, 2023, 04:50 PM

It's really not a good idea to drive on that first day, energy drinks don't stop you being tired. Microsleeps are the issue. Perhaps you can just spend that first night in Munich. I know you think you'll power through but coming off a plane and driving is really not good! If you must spend the night in Seefeld, there are also buses (almost as short as driving) and trains that service the same route, I would heartily recommend you look into those.

Lavandula
Old Apr 29th, 2023, 01:45 PM

For Wed June 7 I would rent a car at the Munich airport and drive to the Eibsee where you can take a cable car which asends to the summit of the Zugspitze, Germany's highest peak.
If you like mountains the panorama is fantastic. On clear days views extend to Germany, Italy, Switzerland, and Austria.Then make a stop at Mittenwald a pretty mountain resort
considered a living picture book with a gorgeous location below the Kranzberg and Karwendel massifs.There is an abundance of intricately frescoed house facades some
of which are spectacular. On the main street there is a bakery with outside seating from which you can take it all in. Then a 20 minute drive to Seefeld.

https://goo.gl/maps/cYd6dhPNdSPAU3779

If the Zugspitze is too much for you, you could substitute ascending the Karwendel which towers over Mittenwald and can be ascended via The Karwendelbahn cable car.
Then you might have time to visit Schloss Linderhof

https://goo.gl/maps/TGNa1mtiHFAFz9TE9

For Sat June 17 you can visit the Schloss Neuschwanstein and Schloss Hohenschwangau, You can buy a combination ticket for the two castles over the internet.
Select the first English your which I think is 9AM. This visit will take a half day.
Have lunch at the outdoor restaurant which you will see as you walk down from the castle(Neuschwanstein).

If you choose to visit only Schloss Neuschwanstein you can take off for Munich and stop at the klostergasthof Andechs for lunch.

https://www.andechs.de/gastronomie.html

https://www.andechs.de/

https://goo.gl/maps/patMBMm2beWrn9ux5

Note Car rental #1 Pick up Munich airport and return Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Car rental #2 Pick up Garmisch-Partenkirchen and return Munich
Old May 2nd, 2023, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very helpful. Any issues with visiting Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau on Saturday? Would you recommend reversing your suggested itinerary because of Saturday crowds? Would you consider an insider tour a must-do? My son and I are more into picturesque views.

Last edited by peterdonaldson2093; May 2nd, 2023 at 08:09 AM. Reason: Want to add a question
Old May 5th, 2023, 05:12 PM

<< Would you consider an insider tour a must-do? My son and I are more into picturesque views.>>

Inside tour is NOT a must do for either Schloss Neuschwanstein or Schloss Hohenschwangau.

<<Any issues with visiting on Saturday?>>
There are no 1ssues with visiting the castles on any day of the week. Especially since you do not want to go inside.

<<Would you recommend reversing your suggested itinerary because of Saturday crowds?>>
The reasons I selected visiting the castles at the end of the trip instead of the Wednesday at the beginning of
the trip is because the castles are NOT on the route Munich airport to Seefeld. The drive increases from 2hrs to 3-1/2 hrs
and it requires a lot of driving(1-1/2 hrs) late in the day. While I am able to drive long distances on arrival day,
others advise NO driving on arrival day. I thought the extra driving may be too much for you.
Since you are not going inside the castles and therefore do not need to purchase tickets in advance you can
decide your arrival day itinerary on arrival day (after renting the car).

<<My son and I are more into picturesque views>>.

Zugspitze and the Karwendel would be the best mountain view.

Neuschwanstein.The view from Marienbrucke would be the more memorable view.
https://www.hohenschwangau.de/en/nat...s/marys-bridge
See Local map below for info on getting to Marienbrucke.
https://www.hohenschwangau.de/besuch...arken-ortsplan
Old May 10th, 2023, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for your comments. Our tentative plan. Arrive MUC on June 7th at 7:00 AM pick up Rental Car, find some breakfast (Appreciate any suggestions) and some Red Bull!!!. Drive to Hohenschwangau castle. Hopefully, arrive around 10:00AM. tour castle grounds. Booked Audio Tour for 12:05. Do the tour and then find some lunch (Appreciate any suggestions). Then head over to Neuschwanstein Castle tour grounds walk to Marienbrucke take photos and return to the car. Head towards the border of Austria. Pick up Vignette and then drive to Highline 179. Walk the bridge and then head toward our hotel in Seefeld, AU via the Fern Pass route. June 8th we will plan to drive over to Innsbruck for the morning/mid-afternoon. (Appreciate any Innsbruck suggestions) We have to be back in Seefeld by 3pm for check-in for our Motorcycle Tour. The motorcycle Tour ends from Seefeld on Saturday the 17th after breakfast. For our return to Munich trip we plan to drive through Mittenwald, (maybe do the Karwendel Cable Car Ride). Visit Linderhof for a grounds tour only, check out Ettal Abbey and grab some lunch, and then head back to Munich and do a quick tour of the BMW Museum and Welt. After BMW it will be dinner and then try to squeeze in some highlights in Munich. Any suggestions for dinner and Munich highlights before we head to our hotel at MUC for our Sunday morning departure. Appreciate any suggestions, recommendations, or concerns with our itinerary.
Old May 10th, 2023, 03:42 PM

You realise it will take you a good hour to clear passport control and get your bags, and then some more time to collect your car and work out how to drive in Germany. I think 10 is a little optimistic, plus I don't think much of the Red Bull idea. You are doing a lot of driving on a day when most people conk-out by the afternoon. What are you going to do if the Red Bull doesn't work and you are tired? Too tired to drive, or worse, not tired enough to not drive, but not able to pay attention properly? Have you ever even driven on the Autobahn? Do you realise there is a lane where people drive at 200km/h? And likely you will be in a lane where people are driving 150km/h, so still too fast if you make even a tiny mistake. Think seriously about how you might do that first day without a car. Where do you plan to return it, you don't discuss that?

Lavandula
Old May 10th, 2023, 04:16 PM
Original Poster

Lavandula: Thanks for your concern. Familiar with Autobahn. Total drive time is only 3.5 hours so I think we can handle that. Plan to use the timeshifter app to be reasonably acclimated to the time difference. Our flight is non stop 8-hour flight. I think we will get a reasonable level of sleep on the plane. But if not and we have to pull over and take a nap we will. With the castle tour not scheduled until 12 worst case we can push arrival back 11:30 to make our 12 tour or worst case we just don't make the 12 tour. and we reduce time walking around the castles and we skip Highline 179. We are not returning the car while in Seefeld are returning it back to MUC at the end of our trip. Round trip was cheaper than two one-way rentals. Car will be parked at the Hotel in Seefeld while we do the motorcycle tour.
Old May 10th, 2023, 04:28 PM

Even if you sleep well you can suffer from dizzyness or lightheadedness (I suffer from this, only since the age of 30). Or be out like a light and not wake up from 4pm to 3am, even if the intention was to have just a nap. But if you think you will be OK, it's your trip. Everyone is affected differently.

Lavandula
Old May 10th, 2023, 05:14 PM
Original Poster

Lavandula: Thanks again for your thoughts and concerns. We will strive to be as safe as possible. Any recommendations for breakfast in and around MUC.
Old May 11th, 2023, 10:14 AM

<< . Any recommendations for breakfast in and around MUC>>
You probably will have breakfast on the plane. But you can have additional breakfast at the airport. Ask for Frühstück.
How about here: McDonald's - Munich Airport (munich-airport.com)
Old May 11th, 2023, 12:12 PM
P_M

I can see that your mind is made up, but I must say that I agree with everything Lavandula says. You're going to do what you're going to do, so I wish you nothing but the best.
Old May 11th, 2023, 12:19 PM
Original Poster

McDonalds - Awesome recommendations!! Thanks
Old May 11th, 2023, 12:45 PM

Your tentative plan looks excellent.

Some comments:
<< Drive to Hohenschwangau castle. Hopefully, arrive around 10:00AM. tour castle grounds. Booked Audio Tour for 12:05. Do the tour and then find some lunch (Appreciate any suggestions). >>

I suggest https://www.schlossrestaurant-neusch...estaurant.html (Outdoor terrace) for lunch. It is located on the path to the Neuschwanstein castle.

<< Pick up Vignette and then drive to Highline 179. Walk the bridge and then head toward our hotel in Seefeld, AU via the Fern Pass route.>>
This is a good route to Seefeld. Walking the bridge is a good outing. Consider the Biberwier Luge as an additional activity.

https://www.bergbahnen-langes.at/som...merrodeln-fun/

https://www.highline179.tirol/ https://www.highline179.tirol/die-bruecke

https://goo.gl/maps/Vtp1wJwcKsDFALLCA

<<June 8th we will plan to drive over to Innsbruck for the morning/mid-afternoon. (Appreciate any Innsbruck suggestions)>>
Must sees are Goldenes Dachl,Dom zu St.Jakob, Hofburg, and Hofkirche